Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAFES time to go...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AAFES time to go...

Has the Air Force Times done a story on AAFES, in specific on how it continues to NOT meet the needs of the troops? Especially overseas?

I haven't dealt with AAFES in 8+ plus years, since I was stationed at places that didn't have them. I recently PCS'd overseas and things haven't changed a bit. If not gotten worse.

In the few weeks I've been here, these are things I've seen and experienced:

Football season starting for kids, BX doesn't have cleats available.

School started this past Monday, yet KMCC the largest AAFES overseas, doesn't have school clothes in stock/for sale? All the stateside retailers have had them available since July.

They advertise clothes/items for sale but when asked they no longer have them in stock

Nail polish remover hasn't been in stock for the past 6+ months. (Via spouse network)

Their price match advertising is mis-leading, borderline illegal. They price match there own (AAFES.com) website. Nobody else. They say they'll price match the local area but that's almost silly since things in Europe are more expensive.

Their you pay NO SALES TAX is also mis-leading and not completly true. I priced matched a TV at Best Buy but AAFES, would only match the price at Best Buy with sales tax. In an indirect way, I was still paying the sales tax.

Their price aren't competitive. Most of the items they sell aren't even close to the retail market.

Why do we continue to put up with this second rate service? Don't we as troops, deserve better?

I would really like to see a cover story on AAFES, put our foot on there neck and see if we can get things fixed!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: AAFES time to go...

I mostly concur with you, AAFES (NEX and MCX to but on a smaller scale since they are not as big) is broken.

There was a pretty long thread on this a while ago. JoeB and I had a good back and forth about the issue.

http://forums.militarytimes.com/show...ighlight=aafes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think AAFES' inventory ordering process involves a dartboard with items replacing the numbers, and they blindfold a random employee and tell them to throw at the board. Wherever the dart lands, that is what they order.

I recently put an order request in for a piece of exercise equipment that they did not have in stock at Mildenhall BXtra but they had in their Feltwell warehouse. I asked, "Well can I pay here and go collect at Feltwell using my own vehicle?"

"No."

".......Ok. Well I will do the request."

They said it would process and the equipment would be brought over as early as the next day for me to pay and pick-up. They said they would call me when it was in. After a generous wait time of three days, I contacted the BXtra.

"Yes I am checking up on my request to see if it came in." Words. Blah Blah.

"Sir, that equipment did come in but it was sold."

So what the fuck did I go through all that for? Pathetic.

I also ordered a bedroom set six weeks ago and still nothing yet. I know someone might say, "Just shop on the economy, stupid." Furniture in the UK is insanely expensive. My bedroom set through AAFES is $2.5k; a comparable one on the UK market is about £2,300.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, I think Overseas is the only logical location for AFFES to exist. Otherwise, the only way to get American products is online. Also, good luck shopping somewhere in Germany on Sunday or after 6pm any other day. When I was in Germany, I exclusively shopped at AFFES, the commissary, and Powerzone was a life saver. Back in the states, I barely touch those places. I go to Walmart for food, Best Buy or online (unlike overseas, where it takes 2-3 weeks to get it overseas if they even ship to APOs at all) for electronics. They should just close down stateside, and with some of those savings improve the overseas stores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AF2017 View Post
    Their price match advertising is mis-leading, borderline illegal. They price match there own (AAFES.com) website. Nobody else. They say they'll price match the local area but that's almost silly since things in Europe are more expensive.

Their you pay NO SALES TAX is also mis-leading and not completly true. I priced matched a TV at Best Buy but AAFES, would only match the price at Best Buy with sales tax. In an indirect way, I was still paying the sales tax.
    I agree with your comments, except you contradict yourself with the two I've quoted above. You state they won't price match others, then you cite a time where they price-matched Best Buy (albeit the tax thing is ef'd up IMO).

My biggest issue with their price matching is they only do it on specific model numbers (down to the exact letter). Well, AAFES either sells out-dated electronics that the big-box stores no longer carry because they're so old (so there's nothing to price match since the other competitors no longer carry it), or they have an "AAFES only" model of new electronics so then they claim it's not the same and they don't have to price match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, had some real "fun" at the Ft Ord Exchange last week. Needed to buy a laptop and Office 365 to go with it. Exchange running a sale on HP laptops. However, this exchange didn't have any HP laptop we wanted in stock, unless we wanted the display model. No Office 365 in stock whatsoever. The salesperson offered to order the laptop for us from a different base. I declined. The last time we did a special order at this exchange we ultimately had to get the AAFES commander involved. So we ordered a different laptop and the software from the Exchange web site. One nice thing...day or two after ordering the laptop, a Toshiba, the Exchange was giving $75 discounts on Toshiba laptops. Called AAFES catalog sales and they took the $75 off. Hopefully the stuff will get here on a timely basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When CONUS, I just avoid AAFES for major electronics purchases except for the occasional X-Box or Wii game that goes on sale for the kids (they actually have some great deals when it comes to that sometimes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fuck the Exchange as a whole (though I do like the NEX & MCEX more than AAFES). They sell shit, and the good stuff they DO sell is expensive as hell. I buy smokes, booze, and clearance items at the Exchange and that is about it. Online is a bit better because you get everything that any exchange would have but even that sucks-I bought something from them and when it arrived it wasn't what I ordered. Their reply? The picture on the website was wrong... WTF does that have to do with anything?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I mostly concur with you, AAFES (NEX and MCX to but on a smaller scale since they are not as big) is broken.

There was a pretty long thread on this a while ago. JoeB and I had a good back and forth about the issue.

http://forums.militarytimes.com/show...ighlight=aafes

The NEX is much better than AAFES Exchanges though. The NEX has recently changed their price match policy to where they will match online retailers like Amazon, Sears, Best Buy, ToysRus and a few others. So, I decided to email AAFES and asked if the AAFES exchanges would be doing the same. After I received about a 300 word reply about how they offer goods at the best prices with no tax blah, blah, blah...the answer in the end was no. AAFES sucks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes, I think the NEX is better than AAFES but I still don't really shop there.

Mostly I sum it up into:

1. Bad customer service -- purposely the top of my list for this discussion.
    2. Not a significant savings (yes, some things are cheaper and no tax on big buys like a TV will get me to consider it.)
    3. A lot of what they sell is not the 'basic' things I am looking for when on base (usually when TAD), but I can buy a Rolex, Waterford crystal or designer clothing.