Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: To Protect and Defend

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: To Protect and Defend

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    No chance. Now if he'd only done something like steroids/HGH then he'd be eligible. The fact that he's one of the best players in history can't be taken into consideration. Baseball has standards, you know?
    I have never quite understood the perceived magnitude of his violations. As I understand it, he gambled (a lot) on baseball games, to include games his team was in. I have never heard anyone even whisper that he in anyway attempted to influence the outcome of those games (except maybe to win said games). Was it determined that he bet against his team?

Given all that I don't understand the lifetime ban from baseball and the hall of fame. Particularly in light of the fact that now dozens of current and past players have been proven to have used long banned substances which DO (with very little legitimate argument to the contrary) effect the outcome of games and these players are merely being suspended. Many are sure to go into the Hall of Fame, at least one of which holds a major current record which will forever be tarnished.

I didn't follow Rose's career closely as he was never a Red Sox but I do respect his accomplishments but it seems he got the shaft and continues to receive egregious treatment with these latest developments

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I have never quite understood the perceived magnitude of his violations. As I understand it, he gambled (a lot) on baseball games, to include games his team was in. I have never heard anyone even whisper that he in anyway attempted to influence the outcome of those games (except maybe to win said games). Was it determined that he bet against his team?

Given all that I don't understand the lifetime ban from baseball and the hall of fame. Particularly in light of the fact that now dozens of current and past players have been proven to have used long banned substances which DO (with very little legitimate argument to the contrary) effect the outcome of games and these players are merely being suspended. Many are sure to go into the Hall of Fame, at least one of which holds a major current record which will forever be tarnished.

I didn't follow Rose's career closely as he was never a Red Sox but I do respect his accomplishments but it seems he got the shaft and continues to receive egregious treatment with these latest developments
    I'd be curious to see the win/loss record in the alleged games he bet on. Now, if they were 2-25 in those games then it's a problem. But, if their record is similar to the rest of the "non-betting" games then it shouldn't be an issue.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    IMO, the Hall is tainted without Pete in it...and I won't visit it until he is. One of the greatest to ever play. He picked the wrong vice...drugs, alcohol, wife-beating, rape...he would've been in by now.

They will probably induct him after he dies...
    Most likely, since it's a lifetime ban. It just amazes me that they went to that length. What about other players of that era who are in the Hall and knowingly cheated. Gaylord Perry had one of the best spit balls ever. People knew that he threw it, knew that it was illegal, yet it made his career and his success. I just don't understand where the Hall, and the voters, draw the line.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    At the risk of going all Corny on you:
    Wow, that was all Corny...good info though.