Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sole Black Senator not invited to March on Washington Celebration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sole Black Senator not invited to March on Washington Celebration

Isn't that odd? You would think that he would be someone they would have at least invited. Guess the "party of inclusion" isn't so inclusive.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sole Black Senator not invited to March on Washington Celebration

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Okay...a little truth would be good.

He was invited to attend, but not invited to speak...

Not everyone can be invited to speak. I know, it's gonna be all "Well, he's the only black Senator"...but if he had been invited, it would have been find some other black guy that wasn't invited and make that a story instead...no matter what, some important black man wasn't going to be invited to speak.
    Not what I read...

"The only current African American member of the U.S. Senate, Tim Scott, was not invited to speak at the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, even though high-profile celebrities including Oprah Winfrey and Ambassador Caroline Kennedy were included in the lineup."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1440736
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    It always confuses me when your comments indicate disagreement, but then you post a quote that confirms what I just said.
    heh heh heh...tried to delete it but couldn't.

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I can't say much on the decision to invite Sen Scott to speak or not since it is true that not everyone can speak but when you reveal that Caroline Kennedy was invited to speak I have to wonder if the Senator's party had anything to do with the decision.

The only currently serving black senator, one of only eight to have served and he is from South Carolina....

On the other side it seems some GOP leadership should have made the time to attend.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I can't say much on the decision to invite Sen Scott to speak or not since it is true that not everyone can speak but when you reveal that Caroline Kennedy was invited to speak I have to wonder if the Senator's party had anything to do with the decision.
    The only currently serving black senator, one of only eight to have served and he is from South Carolina....
    On the other side it seems some GOP leadership should have made the time to attend.
    Yeah the GOP leadership should have attended. But why go to a event just to be vilified? It's already thought of in the majority of black people that the Conservative/Republicans are racist and want to turn back the clock on the civil rights movement, and that is how the Democratic Party has played their cards the last number of years.
    I understand that MLK's "I have a Dream" speech was momentous, not just for the civil rights movement but for America as a whole. But we have moved a long way past that as whole society. My father has spoken to me about the civil rights movement and what it entailed. I am from Greensboro NC, where the sit ins first started by 4 A&T students. My father used to tell me how he back in the day he would go to Wolworth's on S. Elm and watch the spectacle. Then he would tell me that in his younger days he was discriminatory, but now he has moved on as man and human being. He is not like that anymore. That was my 2 cents on how America has changed from a personal perspective.

But think about this. The ONLY black Senator in the Congress is from the supposed backward and racist state of SC, who was appointed there by a Indian-American Governor. If that isn't funny I don't know what is.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Isn't that odd? You would think that he would be someone they would have at least invited. Guess the "party of inclusion" isn't so inclusive.
    He probably didn't want to go anyway. Black conservative politicians tend to distance themselves from the black community by choice anyway.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    He probably didn't want to go anyway. Black conservative politicians tend to distance themselves from the black community by choice anyway.
    On what side of the aisle are you talking about?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Not sure exactly how I can make what I said more clear...
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Rusty is of the opinion that no black person could possibly be a Republican. He also doesn't think it is possible for a black person to be a racist so....

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Rusty is of the opinion that no black person could possibly be a Republican. He also doesn't think it is possible for a black person to be a racist so....
    Pulling things out of your ass once again, I see?