Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    It's very rare...only seen three in past three years and they were given to fat SNCO's that couldn't pass the test.
    You don't know more than three chicks that have gotten knocked up in the last three years? That is the most common reason for an exemption for AC. There are others but being preggers is the most common...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    You don't know more than three chicks that have gotten knocked up in the last three years? That is the most common reason for an exemption for AC. There are others but being preggers is the most common...
    I'm referring to the MALE population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm referring to the MALE population.
    Yet you made absolutely no indication to that effect....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

The issue is how you measure someone who is large and in charge. Like I said before, those people who you CAN'T find the hip bone because they are that big. I could care less about measuring people 35" or less...the problem lies measuring those that are 40" around or females that are 36" around. There are many big women coming back to the unit with 30" waist measurements but have BMIs in the 30's...not adding up. What are they wrapping the tape around? Their thighs?
    whenever Rainmaker measures up a fattie at the club he remember that old song to help him find the spot..... Thighbone connected to the Hipbone. Hipbone connected to the backbone.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I would say me and the NIH feel that way. At 40 inches your risk of obesity related disease dramatically increases but you are already getting into the overweight zone at 36 inches for all heights.

I get your point about accurate measurements and agree.

My point is if a person starts to enter the overweight zone they need to take charge of their health and make changes to their personal diet and exercise regimen.

Why should any individual want to let themself drift into the margin of error or even the overweight zone?

Let me ask, how many other standards should a person be happy with just squeezing by with a 1/4 of an inch to spare?

Most of the forum members here routinely express a high degree of admiration for people who excel at their primary duty and disdain for those who are mediocre. Why should physical fitness be any different?

My point is that 40 inches is generous because you are obese at that point.

The Air Force is being generous not taking punitative measures for the overweight zones.
    There's a guy in my Guard unit who has a 42 inch waist - he was chubby, but I can guarantee that he'd be lucky to get below 40 and he'd never see 36, even if he starved himself.

What the NIH puts out are GUIDELINES, not standards. The NIH guidelines are there to tell a doctor when to start looking more closely at a person.

The doctor may look more closely and find something wrong, but the doctor may also look more closely and find that the individual is just on the outer edge of the curve and perfectly fine.

As far as relying on the Air Force standards, I've said it here plenty of times before and I'll say it plenty of times in the future: The Air Force standards do not match reality.

The Japanese government has established a waistline standard (yes, a standard) for its citizens that is 6" less than the standard established by the NIH and that standard is based on many years of research by the medical community.

Yet, the Air Force continues to say that waist circumference is not affected by anything, including ethinicity.
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
    The pursuit of excellence only for the sake of achieving excellence is a waste:
    Time and energy spent pursuing excellence in one area is
    time and energy that could have been used to improve in another area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aircraft Maintenance. My job, as with all who serve, is to uphold the standards. If you were in today, you see a crap load of integrity issues with this program. 60% of my maintainers score excellents on their tests while working long hours. I'm tired of hearing excuses like yours. Lazy people are going to be lazy and if the Air Force wanted fitness to be a force shaping tool, we'd have far more than just 76 people failing that waist measurement and getting separated. This program IS NOT a force shaping tool. If it was, it's not very effective.

You keep talking about people who failed the waist measurement and the CSAF only talked about them in his last letter.

How many people lose points on the waist measurement despite being perfectly healthy because the Air Force made up the standard they did?

Maybe you already forgot all the diversity training the Air Force made us take - everybody isn't the same. Basic body build - how tall you are, how big your body structure is - is determined by genetics, not by what you eat or how much you exercise.

So, somebody who's 5'5" and 150lbs soaking wet with a 32" waist gets an advantage on the test over somebody who's 6'3" and 230lbs with a 38" waist just because of genetics.

Don't see the glaring problem there?
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
    The pursuit of excellence only for the sake of achieving excellence is a waste:
    Time and energy spent pursuing excellence in one area is
    time and energy that could have been used to improve in another area.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLSE View Post
    There's a guy in my Guard unit who has a 42 inch waist - he was chubby, but I can guarantee that he'd be lucky to get below 40 and he'd never see 36, even if he starved himself.

What the NIH puts out are GUIDELINES, not standards. The NIH guidelines are there to tell a doctor when to start looking more closely at a person.

The doctor may look more closely and find something wrong, but the doctor may also look more closely and find that the individual is just on the outer edge of the curve and perfectly fine.

As far as relying on the Air Force standards, I've said it here plenty of times before and I'll say it plenty of times in the future: The Air Force standards do not match reality.

The Japanese government has established a waistline standard (yes, a standard) for its citizens that is 6" less than the standard established by the NIH and that standard is based on many years of research by the medical community.

Yet, the Air Force continues to say that waist circumference is not affected by anything, including ethinicity.
    You call him chubby but the clinical term is obese for a person with a 42 inch waist.

Why do you think it is impossible for him to trim his waist below a 36? It will take a major lifestyle change but it can be done as long as the effort is put into it.

Judging by your last few posts on this topic I have to say that your view of reality is the one that is screwed up and not the Air Force's.

It seems you are looking to be coddled and told that it is okay to be overweight, it isn't.