Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    Ya'll lost me at "highly trained PTLs". Still laughing my ass off. Funniest fucking shit ever read.
    You mean to tell me that a three hour PTL course doesn't meet the standard of being "highly" trained? Think about it, the Air Force wouldn't want this program to be run half-ass because you know as well as I do how serious a PT fail can be for most folks. Surely, they would want "highly" trained personnel documenting and assessing the PT standards....wait, didn't the civilians used to do that....wait, didn't failures shoot through the roof under their assessments...wait...oh, I get it, bring back the military so leadership can say 98% pass this test...98% my ass. Just look around your unit and tell me you can't spot ONE person who passed this test that you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, should have failed, but passed somehow. 98% pass rate...LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    Because you can get a waiver for this part...you can't waiver the waist measurement. If you could waiver the waist, then no one would be talking about this program. You can also waiver p/u and s/u, no one is talking about them either.

The main discussion is occuring over the waist measurement for the simple fact that you CAN'T avoid it like the other components. No skinny person will ever complain about the waist measurement...
    100% incorrect. You CAN get an exemption for abdominal circumference (it isn't called a waiver but...).
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You mean to tell me that a three hour PTL course doesn't meet the standard of being "highly" trained? Think about it, the Air Force wouldn't want this program to be run half-ass because you know as well as I do how serious a PT fail can be for most folks. Surely, they would want "highly" trained personnel documenting and assessing the PT standards....wait, didn't the civilians used to do that....wait, didn't failures shoot through the roof under their assessments...wait...oh, I get it, bring back the military so leadership can say 98% pass this test...98% my ass. Just look around your unit and tell me you can't spot ONE person who passed this test that you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, should have failed, but passed somehow. 98% pass rate...LOL!
    The USAF predicted failures would "shoot through the roof" when civilians started administering the test. The failure rate doubled from the old test but didn't come close to the "four out of 10 airmen will fail prediction." Meanwhile, the number of excellents doubled from 20% to 40%. So did the test get harder or easier?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    100% incorrect. You CAN get an exemption for abdominal circumference (it isn't called a waiver but...).
    It's very rare...only seen three in past three years and they were given to fat SNCO's that couldn't pass the test.

Quote Originally Posted by UncommonSense View Post
    The USAF predicted failures would "shoot through the roof" when civilians started administering the test. The failure rate doubled from the old test but didn't come close to the "four out of 10 airmen will fail prediction." Meanwhile, the number of excellents doubled from 20% to 40%. So did the test get harder or easier?
    They did shoot through the roof...by September of 2010, the failure rate was more than 20%. That rate began dropping rapidly when people started getting on profiles for the retests. If you can't run or don't want to run, go get on a profile. Same for the other components. Profiles are too easy to get.

If everyone were required to test on ALL components, and the test was administered fairly and accurately, the failure rate today would be 3 or 4 in 10...easy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFT,

It's been almost two weeks since this post...anyone willing to take me up on my offer and prove me wrong? If you're having issues with getting some FAC access, hit me up on PM and I will help you out.

Sincerely,
    StandardsAMust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFT,

It's been almost two weeks since this post...anyone willing to take me up on my offer and prove me wrong? If you're having issues with getting some FAC access, hit me up on PM and I will help you out.

Sincerely,
    StandardsAMust
    Standards
    I know I am retired and my opinion does not mean much but I think this PT is just another way to cut Airmen. I remember getting ready to deploy for Restore Hope back when we use to tape the neck and waist for the fat boy program. At that time the orderly room used to do the tape test. You remember the orderly room the group of 702s who use to support the commander and the PEOPLE in the squadron?
    Well the MSgt in charge of the deployment moved the tape up and told the A1C he passed. He said don’t worry I passed and I will lose the weight while I am gone or retire. I will not have another MSgt have to do a no notice TDY.”
    When this PT sh*t started getting hardcore I remember whole support functions closed for PT. I never could understand that when my boys on the Flight Line were working 10 to 12 hours a day 5 to 6 days per week, Ok take care of the PT plus spend some time with your family but don’t forget you have another deployment coming up . In the some carrier fields I understand the need for being on top shape. I just don’t understand people like you the mission of the AF is to Fly and Fight.
    If PT is so important how about we have enough airman assigned to due PT on duty time and also due the mission. I would love to know what job you currently due in the AF and what your background is.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't think any base Public Affairs office would allow outsiders/media to observe the administration of the fitness assessment. We can't have the emperor showing off his new clothes, after all. Probably would cite some sort of privacy rationalization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RetC141BFCC View Post
    Standards
    I know I am retired and my opinion does not mean much but I think this PT is just another way to cut Airmen. I remember getting ready to deploy for Restore Hope back when we use to tape the neck and waist for the fat boy program. At that time the orderly room used to do the tape test. You remember the orderly room the group of 702s who use to support the commander and the PEOPLE in the squadron?
    Well the MSgt in charge of the deployment moved the tape up and told the A1C he passed. He said don’t worry I passed and I will lose the weight while I am gone or retire. I will not have another MSgt have to do a no notice TDY.”
    When this PT sh*t started getting hardcore I remember whole support functions closed for PT. I never could understand that when my boys on the Flight Line were working 10 to 12 hours a day 5 to 6 days per week, Ok take care of the PT plus spend some time with your family but don’t forget you have another deployment coming up . In the some carrier fields I understand the need for being on top shape. I just don’t understand people like you the mission of the AF is to Fly and Fight.
    If PT is so important how about we have enough airman assigned to due PT on duty time and also due the mission. I would love to know what job you currently due in the AF and what your background is.

Jim
    Aircraft Maintenance. My job, as with all who serve, is to uphold the standards. If you were in today, you see a crap load of integrity issues with this program. 60% of my maintainers score excellents on their tests while working long hours. I'm tired of hearing excuses like yours. Lazy people are going to be lazy and if the Air Force wanted fitness to be a force shaping tool, we'd have far more than just 76 people failing that waist measurement and getting separated. This program IS NOT a force shaping tool. If it was, it's not very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    I don't think any base Public Affairs office would allow outsiders/media to observe the administration of the fitness assessment. We can't have the emperor showing off his new clothes, after all. Probably would cite some sort of privacy rationalization.
    Why not? The AFT has direct access to the people at AFPC who provide them inaccurate data. I'm sure they'd have no problem showcasing our wonderful administration process of the test for all to see. Only then would real changes take affect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aircraft Maintenance. My job, as with all who serve, is to uphold the standards. If you were in today, you see a crap load of integrity issues with this program. 60% of my maintainers score excellents on their tests while working long hours. I'm tired of hearing excuses like yours. Lazy people are going to be lazy and if the Air Force wanted fitness to be a force shaping tool, we'd have far more than just 76 people failing that waist measurement and getting separated. This program IS NOT a force shaping tool. If it was, it's not very effective.
    I guess I don’t know much about the integrity issue never had that problem with the young troops I worked with and who worked for me. I know that when I was a young Airman and Buck Sgt what my NCOs said was gospel. I do know that when I screwed up I told my boss and he took care of it. There is a difference between a mistake and a crime. Well I never had time to go to classes while deployed. I remember the 80’s and 90’s deploying to so many shit holes it got old. I really enjoyed working my jobs and other aircraft mx jobs thru cut training.
    I am not just talking about the waist issue I am talking about the whole PT issue. From what I read on these boards it does not matter how good you do your job as long as you look good pass your PT test , volunteer and take a few classes you’re a 5 EPR. I think that sucks. Your primary job should come first. If you are going to make such a big deal of PT give some duty time to do it.
    Not after a 12 hour shift. You must have some great maintained jets if your guys can go to school while deployed. Every single deployment I went on was 12 hour shifts. I did get lucky on a few of them and get two days off a week. I would say that 90 percent of my deployments were 12 hour shift 6 days on and one day off.
    You and I know there are two separate Air Force maintenance career paths. I have a friend of mine here where I work who spent 22 years in the AF as a jet engine mechanic retiring as a MSgt. Thru no fault of his own he never deployed. He was assigned to the back shop tear down and build up section. In my 24 years in I knew many people who never deployed. So not all jobs in Aircraft MX are the same.
    You and I are never going to agree so let’s agree to disagree. I have no knowledge of what the current force is doing now and the PC bullshit they have to put up with. But you have to see my point as far as standards go why PT is the end all and be all? I still will never agree with allowing Airman to go to school without finishing there upgrade training.
    I joined the AF as a skinny 17 year old punk from NY who thought he knew it all and could scam his way thru the AF. It took one of the biggest meanest Vietnam Veteran Chief about 15 minutes to straighten my young ass out. I have no complaints I loved the AF it got me where I am today. I am a lead mechanic for an Airline and the VP of my local lodge a 1100 man/woman union. And I owe it all to the USAF. I might have drunk the kool aid when I was in but I think it was a different kool Aid then what you are drinking.
    To the rest of you sorry for my rant and thanks for what you do every day home station or deployed