Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This is nothing but crap the Air Force feeds us. It's not at all about playing a part in a deployed situation. If that was the case, why do we do pushups, situps? Woman don't have to be nearly as strong as men, yet they are in the same deployed positions men are in. So the strength part plays no part. Neither does the waist. The only thing that plays a part is the cardio, and almost nobody complains about that part of the test.
    Because you can get a waiver for this part...you can't waiver the waist measurement. If you could waiver the waist, then no one would be talking about this program. You can also waiver p/u and s/u, no one is talking about them either.

The main discussion is occuring over the waist measurement for the simple fact that you CAN'T avoid it like the other components. No skinny person will ever complain about the waist measurement...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Okay, I get what you are saying now. However, it doesn't diminish what I was saying about how excellence on the job is universally (amongst airmen) respected while excellence at PT isn't.

We don't tolerate mediocre behavior on one but we will on the other. That indicates a problem on an institutional-level with perception of the PT program and a lack of education on proper nutrition and exercise.

In my opinion, another reason for this is too many people make excuses or try to blame flaws in the PT test rather than addressing flaws in themselves.
    And I agree. But to a certain extent, you have to admit that it is impossible/implausible to rate everyone on the same standard. It's a lot different for someone to have great job performance than it is for someone to have great PT scores. I don't know anyone who is really good at their job despite not putting in any effort. However, I know several people who score excellent on their PT test while putting in very little, if not close-to-none, effort.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya'll lost me at "highly trained PTLs". Still laughing my ass off. Funniest fucking shit ever read.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I think the whole point is that a failed PT test..affects....EPR, special duty, cross training, retraining, quarterly boards, assignments, promotion...

but, a failed QA eval affects nothing.

That is the problem.
    How could you not get marked down on your EPR for failing a QA?

That is the kiss of death from my experience, both of the career fields I was in, failing a QA eval was not taken lightly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

That is the kiss of death from my experience, both of the career fields I was in, failing a QA eval was not taken lightly.
    You can get marked down, but you aren't going to get a referral. A failed QA and you can still get a non-firewall 5. A failed PT test and it's, at best, a referral 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've seen a guy completely fail a certification checkride and win Airman of the Quarter when there was a supposed "Firewall-5" policy on quarterly awards. So, I think it happens.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Happens all the time. In fact, in certain commands, going a whole year without a fail earned you a "Master" badge.

I spent 26 years in MX...never saw a referral EPR solely for a QA fail. Any markdown is the rater's discretion, nothing mandatory about it.
    Sweet! How many “Master” badges were you able to rack up?

By the way, do you think Charlie the Tuna will ever meet the rigorous Star Kist standards?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    I've seen a guy completely fail a certification checkride and win Airman of the Quarter when there was a supposed "Firewall-5" policy on quarterly awards. So, I think it happens.
    I'm sure it does happen.

I think we are looking at the PT program from different perspectives.

My main point is a lot of the complaints about the program are unjustified and that people have the power to meet standards if they face their weight problem honestly.

I also think there is a severe education gap about nutrition and exercise in the Air Force and American society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaintChief View Post
    I agree. Let's extend this to things that actually matter...fail your CDC's...mandatory referral EPR and placement on the control roster. Fail a QA eval...mandatory referral EPR and placement on the control roster. Need a haircut...first offense is an Article 15. Subsequent offense is admin demotion and processing for discharge for failure to maintain standards. Late to work? Same.

I retired 2 years ago. My current employer does not give a shit what I weigh. They do give a shit if I can do my job. I laugh all the way to the bank every month with my CMSgt retired pay and my VA disability (caused in part by the USAF PT program...shot knees/arthritis).

The PT program is first, foremost, and always has been a Force Shaping tool. It has NO relation to health or what happens after retirement.
    Yup. Always had to fight the weight on active duty. Ran/jogged regularly, always made my time on the run portion of aerobics.

Retired end of 98. Kept running/jogging. Fast-forward to 2011 and heart problems have come to the fore. Three doctors (two cardiologists, one internal medicine) tell me walking is better than running. Started walking. Still walking. Got the heart fixed. Must admit I've put on weight over the years but keep working on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got one for SAC, and a SAC Journeyman badge...USAFE used to do it in the old days, but I wasn't stationed there at that time.
    I had the USAFE Master Technician patch. I was actually pretty proud to wear that thing considering I was never a big fan...or winner...of awards. I was never in SAC but at Lakenheath we pretty much had a SAC mission with Victor Alert and the whole nine yards. Not to brag but If I was in SAC I surely would have gotten one...I knew my shit back in my flightline days.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman