Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Most of the forum members here routinely express a high degree of admiration for people who excel at their primary duty and disdain for those who are mediocre. Why should physical fitness be any different?
    While I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, I have to point out that physical fitness in itself plays little-to-no factor in a vast majority of our jobs and I think that's what most people are getting at. Granted, a situation could possibly occur when you're deployed that physical fitness could mean life or death, but again, for a vast majority of our jobs the possibility is very minimal. So I think that's where most people find issue with making the distinction between a good Airman (39") and a bad Airman (39.5").
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    Granted, a situation could possibly occur when you're deployed that physical fitness could mean life or death, but again, for a vast majority of our jobs the possibility is very minimal.
    This is nothing but crap the Air Force feeds us. It's not at all about playing a part in a deployed situation. If that was the case, why do we do pushups, situps? Woman don't have to be nearly as strong as men, yet they are in the same deployed positions men are in. So the strength part plays no part. Neither does the waist. The only thing that plays a part is the cardio, and almost nobody complains about that part of the test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This is nothing but crap the Air Force feeds us. It's not at all about playing a part in a deployed situation. If that was the case, why do we do pushups, situps? Woman don't have to be nearly as strong as men, yet they are in the same deployed positions men are in. So the strength part plays no part. Neither does the waist. The only thing that plays a part is the cardio, and almost nobody complains about that part of the test.
    No, I agree. I honestly think that the AF PT program is just a force-shaping tool. But I was lending rationale to their "reasoning".
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, I’m saying that.

I don’t care how tall you are, once your waist starts going above 36 inches you are starting to get fat around your belly.

My point being the process of getting fat does not happen overnight; you have plenty of warning to turn the situation around before you get into the zone of being obese or close enough to it puts you in danger of “falling victim” to a bad measurement.
    If you bust the waist measurement, there really isn’t much excuse in my opinion.

You let yourself get that way. Pay attention to your diet and you exercise routine and you can avoid the hassle.
    Then you are MUCH stupider than I thought... Anyone that thinks waist size is the ONLY determining factor when it comes to obesity....can't be all that bright.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, I have to point out that physical fitness in itself plays little-to-no factor in a vast majority of our jobs and I think that's what most people are getting at. Granted, a situation could possibly occur when you're deployed that physical fitness could mean life or death, but again, for a vast majority of our jobs the possibility is very minimal. So I think that's where most people find issue with making the distinction between a good Airman (39") and a bad Airman (39.5").
    That is not what people are being measured on in the PT program. The sooner a person realizes what the standard is and how to meet or exceed it the better off they are going to be within the confines of the PT program.
    Arguing against it on a philosophical level or the basis of a group perspective isn’t going to help you during the test.

That is one of my points.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Then you are MUCH stupider than I thought... Anyone that thinks waist size is the ONLY determining factor when it comes to obesity....can't be all that bright.
    Perhaps you need to go back and read my post on this again and see if I ever made such a claim, I didn't.

Yes, I am an irreverent and catastrophically stupid individual on many subjects but I do know this:

The waist measurement or an individual’s abdominal circumference is an indicator to their body mass index and their classification as normal, overweight or obese.

More importantly it is the indicator being measured in the PT test. Whether you agree with it or not, isn’t a factor.

It is the standard being used and there are proven methods to meet it. Understanding diet, nutrition and how exercise plays a role in your waist measurement will help you meet the standard.

Understanding if you need to make lifestyle changes will help you meet the standard.

Being in denial about your body fat composition will not help you.

Complaining that the PT program is unfair will not help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps you need to go back and read my post on this again and see if I ever made such a claim, I didn't.
    Perhaps YOU should go re-read YOUR posts because you said EXACTLY that;

So you would say that someone that is 4'11" with a 36" waist is "getting into" the overweight zone at 36" to the exact same extent as someone that is 6'6" with a 36" waist?
    Yep, I’m saying that.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Perhaps YOU should go re-read YOUR posts because you said EXACTLY that;
    Stop moving the goal post with your claims of what I said and stop cherry pick parts of my posts.

Here it is again:

Yep, I’m saying that.

I don’t care how tall you are, once your waist starts going above 36 inches you are starting to get fat around your belly.

My point being the process of getting fat does not happen overnight; you have plenty of warning to turn the situation around before you get into the zone of being obese or close enough to it puts you in danger of “falling victim” to a bad measurement.
    If you bust the waist measurement, there really isn’t much excuse in my opinion.

You let yourself get that way. Pay attention to your diet and you exercise routine and you can avoid the hassle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stop moving the goal post with your claims of what I said and stop cherry pick parts of my posts.

Here it is again:
    Here it is again....my question, and YOUR answer;

So you would say that someone that is 4'11" with a 36" waist is "getting into" the overweight zone at 36" to the exact same extent as someone that is 6'6" with a 36" waist?
    Yep, I’m saying that.

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is not what people are being measured on in the PT program. The sooner a person realizes what the standard is and how to meet or exceed it the better off they are going to be within the confines of the PT program.
    Arguing against it on a philosophical level or the basis of a group perspective isn’t going to help you during the test.

That is one of my points.
    That isn't really what I was pointing out in your quote. I was referring to your comment regarding job performance and the correlation between how we're more critiqued or criticized over what some would consider an arbitrary standard and how well we do our ACTUAL job. Being mediocre or less than mediocre at your job actually affects those around you and I think that's the point that most are trying to drive home.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That isn't really what I was pointing out in your quote. I was referring to your comment regarding job performance and the correlation between how we're more critiqued or criticized over what some would consider an arbitrary standard and how well we do our ACTUAL job. Being mediocre or less than mediocre at your job actually affects those around you and I think that's the point that most are trying to drive home.
    Okay, I get what you are saying now. However, it doesn't diminish what I was saying about how excellence on the job is universally (amongst airmen) respected while excellence at PT isn't.

We don't tolerate mediocre behavior on one but we will on the other. That indicates a problem on an institutional-level with perception of the PT program and a lack of education on proper nutrition and exercise.

In my opinion, another reason for this is too many people make excuses or try to blame flaws in the PT test rather than addressing flaws in themselves.

@Pullinteeth

The part of my post that you keep omitting clearly clarifies my point. If you want to declare victory by cherrying picking my post, you can, but it is a hollow and flimsy victory and you know it.