Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Message to editorial staff, AFT

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Let's say that's true, if passing is 39.499999 and failing is 39.5, then getting it right is of the utmost importance. It doesn't matter if YOU think anyone with a 39.x waist is a disgusting fatbody; the Air Force says otherwise. Inconsistency in measurements is a problem under the current system.
    I would counter that by saying that 39.5 is being very generous, a person is fat at 36 and above, don't care how tall they are either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I would counter that by saying that 39.5 is being very generous, a person is fat at 36 and above, don't care how tall they are either.
    Key word is YOU. You feel this way. The Air Force does not. Can you not appreciate the argument here? Let's say we set the limit at 36. We'd still have issues with the measurements because 35.999999999 would be passing in your book and 36 would be fail. Inconsistency would still be an issue.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Key word is YOU. You feel this way. The Air Force does not. Can you not appreciate the argument here? Let's say we set the limit at 36. We'd still have issues with the measurements because 35.999999999 would be passing in your book and 36 would be fail. Inconsistency would still be an issue.
    I would say me and the NIH feel that way. At 40 inches your risk of obesity related disease dramatically increases but you are already getting into the overweight zone at 36 inches for all heights.

I get your point about accurate measurements and agree.

My point is if a person starts to enter the overweight zone they need to take charge of their health and make changes to their personal diet and exercise regimen.

Why should any individual want to let themself drift into the margin of error or even the overweight zone?

Let me ask, how many other standards should a person be happy with just squeezing by with a 1/4 of an inch to spare?

Most of the forum members here routinely express a high degree of admiration for people who excel at their primary duty and disdain for those who are mediocre. Why should physical fitness be any different?

My point is that 40 inches is generous because you are obese at that point.

The Air Force is being generous not taking punitative measures for the overweight zones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say me and the NIH feel that way. At 40 inches your risk of obesity related disease dramatically increases but you are already getting into the overweight zone at 36 inches for all heights.

My point is if a person starts to enter the overweight zone they need to take charge of their health and make changes to their personal diet and exercise regimen.

Why should any individual want to let themself drift into the margin of error or even the overweight zone?

Let me ask, how many other standards should a person be happy with just squeezing by with a 1/4 of an inch to spare?

Most of the forum members here routinely express a high degree of admiration for people who excel at their primary duty and disdain for those who are mediocre. Why should physical fitness be any different?

The Air Force is being generous not taking punitative measures for the overweight zones.
    A line has to be drawn somewhere. That's why I don't buy the arguments when someone fails by one or two push-ups or one or two seconds. Star performers won't cut it that close. If you're near 40 inches, your supervisor has failed you and you have failed yourself. Unfortunately, there's a lot of that happening now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. Let's extend this to things that actually matter...fail your CDC's...mandatory referral EPR and placement on the control roster. Fail a QA eval...mandatory referral EPR and placement on the control roster. Need a haircut...first offense is an Article 15. Subsequent offense is admin demotion and processing for discharge for failure to maintain standards. Late to work? Same.

I retired 2 years ago. My current employer does not give a shit what I weigh. They do give a shit if I can do my job. I laugh all the way to the bank every month with my CMSgt retired pay and my VA disability (caused in part by the USAF PT program...shot knees/arthritis).

The PT program is first, foremost, and always has been a Force Shaping tool. It has NO relation to health or what happens after retirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you would say that someone that is 4'11" with a 36" waist is "getting into" the overweight zone at 36" to the exact same extent as someone that is 6'6" with a 36" waist?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...Let me ask, how many other standards should a person be happy with just squeezing by with a 1/4 of an inch to spare?...
    Hair length, tattoo coverage, fingernail length, rolled-up sleeves on the ABU, sleeve length on the service coat, back length of the service coat, nametag placement on womens blues shirt, etc...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    So you would say that someone that is 4'11" with a 36" waist is "getting into" the overweight zone at 36" to the exact same extent as someone that is 6'6" with a 36" waist?
    Yep, I’m saying that.

I don’t care how tall you are, once your waist starts going above 36 inches you are starting to get fat around your belly.

My point being the process of getting fat does not happen overnight; you have plenty of warning to turn the situation around before you get into the zone of being obese or close enough to it puts you in danger of “falling victim” to a bad measurement.
    If you bust the waist measurement, there really isn’t much excuse in my opinion.

You let yourself get that way. Pay attention to your diet and you exercise routine and you can avoid the hassle.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UncommonSense View Post
    Hair length, tattoo coverage, fingernail length, rolled-up sleeves on the ABU, sleeve length on the service coat, back length of the service coat, nametag placement on womens blues shirt, etc...
    You got me there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, I’m saying that.

I don’t care how tall you are, once your waist starts going above 36 inches you are starting to get fat around your belly.

My point being the process of getting fat does not happen overnight; you have plenty of warning to turn the situation around before you get into the zone of being obese or close enough to it puts you in danger of “falling victim” to a bad measurement.
    If you bust the waist measurement, there really isn’t much excuse in my opinion.

You let yourself get that way. Pay attention to your diet and you exercise routine and you can avoid the hassle.
    So, if you fail the waist measurement, you didn't just have a "bad" day? You are on target with this one and the same can be said for the other components as well. Most just hide behind a profile now.