Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destroyer CMC Sacked After Grabbing Sailor By Uniform

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Destroyer CMC Sacked After Grabbing Sailor By Uniform

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...lor-by-uniform

Ok, I wish there was more publicized about this. It obviously is not the whole story. Seems kind of misleading though. The way this story is publicized, without more of the facts implies that he just grabbed his uniform and it puts all of the CPO Community in a rock and hard place (as if there weren't enough problems with the recent suspension of CPO Orientation Training). There is no way I can see getting a CO's Mast out of just grabbing a Sailor's uniform, unless maybe he winded up attempting to choke him/her. Just reading the article sounds to me like he grabbed the uniform to emphasize a point (maybe the Sailor was a problem with other issues as well). I wonder if the "victim" viewed this grabbing of the uniform as an assault? Or maybe got offended for being manhandled. Based on the article and little other information it does sound like a BS move on the part of the Navy to do this. Give me a break. Although it sounds PC and petty, I still have to ask if it couldn't have been handled differently. Or was this just another case of someone getting their feelings hurt? There are other administrative measures, but yet again, maybe those were already used up in this case. Where was the rest of the CPO Mess and Commissioned Officers if there were other incidents leading up to this one? Still it is sad to see this. I mean it isn't like he was fraternizing or doing something really egregious; kind of seems like open season on CMC's these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Destroyer CMC Sacked After Grabbing Sailor By Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    unless maybe he winded up attempting to choke him/her
    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the skipper or someone in the command was itching for an excuse to sack him? Maybe it's just a perfect storm of wrong place & time and bad luck? I got a hunch that said "grab" entailed something more physically threatening than the simple act of grabbing. Yes I know the article doesn't state one way or the other, as no article in the history of the world ever answered every question ever conceived by all readers, but I'll bet a nickel that that's the case here.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Based on the minimal information provided here, you have to ask yourself: have you ever grabbed a Sailor by the uniform? Would you? And if you did, would you do so without expecting any ramifications?

I know we're a generation of people who think everyone's a pussy because they don't literally get their asses kicked all over the place like they did in the mythological "good ol' days," but even then... you have to put that aside and think before you act. Unfortunately, that's not what happened here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irrespective of how it "was" in the past, anyone who hasn't had their head in the sand for the past 10-15 years should know that, except in self-defense, 99.9 percent of the time, if you put your hands on someone you're wrong and will suffer the consequences. This CMC (don't know him, assume he was a good guy) should have known better, and, because of what HE DID (not Political Correctness, generational wussification, whatever), he's now looking for a job. You can't compare today's Sailors to those of 30 years ago any more than those of us who enlisted in the 70's or 80's could compare our situation to what was going on in the WWII era. Times change, if you can't keep up, take notes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Double post.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I agree that this CMC should not have touched the Sailor's uniform. Here's what irks me about this though. This article doesn't say he assaulted the Sailor; it says he grabbed the uniform with the implication that an assault occurred. Simply touching (or grabbing) an individual's uniform does not, in my book, constitute assault. You want to talk about the meltdown of today's Navy, then let's have that discussion. And this isn't about taking a Sailor out to the fanroom and kicking his ass. Was he punched? Was he threatened in any way? Or was it just as the article stated: He grabbed the uniform, perhaps to point out a discrepancy or to emphasize a shortcoming. The Sailor may have filed a formal complaint alleging assault or a witness saw it and reported it. Either way, touching a uniform is poor judgment but is not assault, at least not in the legal definition. Ok, and finally, why couldn't this have been handled in house? This reminds me of an old Clint Eastwood western movie, "Hang 'em High!" -- The guy made a mistake but he shouldn't be crucified for it. I'm sure there was no malfeasance intended. What ever happened to giving people a chance to redeem themselves? This zero tolerance for making mistakes, no matter what they are, is hurting the Navy. This should have been handled between the CMC and the CO had they had really open lines of communication between them. That is what I see as the problem. B. M. BURAWSKI Chief Yeoman, U.S. Navy (Ret.)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

So if you were walking around downtown and saw a cop... and you grabbed him by the uniform, do you really think that there are circumstances where you cannot be charged for assaulting a police officer?

If not, then I see don't see any justification for dropping any assault charges that this CMDCM now has.

It probably couldn't be handled at the command level because of the level of punishment involved. A detachment for cause has to be approved by BUPERS.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMC View Post
    Irrespective of how it "was" in the past, anyone who hasn't had their head in the sand for the past 10-15 years should know that, except in self-defense, 99.9 percent of the time, if you put your hands on someone you're wrong and will suffer the consequences. This CMC (don't know him, assume he was a good guy) should have known better, and, because of what HE DID (not Political Correctness, generational wussification, whatever), he's now looking for a job. You can't compare today's Sailors to those of 30 years ago any more than those of us who enlisted in the 70's or 80's could compare our situation to what was going on in the WWII era. Times change, if you can't keep up, take notes.
    Spot on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    Ok, and finally, why couldn't this have been handled in house?
    As I read it and have asked around, it was handled ‘in house’ at Captain's Mast; part of the adjudication of the Mast was the Captain did not want this Master Chief as his CMC.

The Navy (different from the other services) has a policy of publically announcing the relief of CO's, XO's and Senior Enlisted; they even make a point of sending notices to Congress via the Senate & House liaisons.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    A detachment for cause has to be approved by BUPERS.
    True enough, but if the CO wants you off the ship you could very well be gone while BUPERS approves it. I have seen where personnel were sent TAD to DESRON or somewhere (another ship in the CSG/ESG if we were deployed) pending BUPERS final approval of a detachment, in particular there were a few who were not allowed to cross the brow while TAD: LCDR fired as a weapons officer, LT fired as the operations officer, a couple of Chiefs in various jobs.