Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Proxies Banned?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Proxies Banned?

No red box today...... Either it was a false alarm.... We all have died (and I don't have to start my hell week in court)... Or Borne just recalled how we love to blow things way out of proportion and just removed the red box.

:noidea

:becky

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    I try and take security matters seriously. I use a desk top computer and use high speed internet through an ISP. I use Firefox as my WEB browser and have no desire to change from it to any other one.

Always,
    Wildman
    Same here: I use Firefox as well. Is using Firefox the same as using a proxy?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Same here: I use Firefox as well. Is using Firefox the same as using a proxy?
    No. Firefox is a browser, the same as Internet Explorer or Chrome. A proxy is a computer system or application that acts as an intermediary between a client computer and a server. It can be used to screen or speed up requests, as well as hide a client ISP.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    No. Firefox is a browser, the same as Internet Explorer or Chrome. A proxy is a computer system or application that acts as an intermediary between a client computer and a server. It can be used to screen or speed up requests, as well as hide a client ISP.
    That's what I thought.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whoa..The red box is gone. Just when I was getting all worked up into a lather about proxies and hackers and government spying. Rats!
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
    Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947

Administrator
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I didn't take it down. Maybe someone hacked it.

JKJK
    - ForumAdmin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    I didn't take it down. Maybe someone hacked it.

JKJK
    Is that a black helicopter hovering outside my window?!?! :tinfoil3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got MY tin foil hat on!
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

On a serious note, Anonymous scares the daylights out of me. On the one hand, they certainly do give it to some groups that deserve it, like the Westboro Baptist Church. On the other, they disrupt the lives of millions of people just to prove a point, like when they disrupted the banking system. These are people who, could no kidding wipe all of our bank accounts clean and probably get away with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    On a serious note, Anonymous scares the daylights out of me. On the one hand, they certainly do give it to some groups that deserve it, like the Westboro Baptist Church. On the other, they disrupt the lives of millions of people just to prove a point, like when they disrupted the banking system. These are people who, could no kidding wipe all of our bank accounts clean and probably get away with it.
    It is unnerving to think they do what they do because they can. Anonymous may claim to have political convictions but sabotage is their real agenda. Last week the NASDAQ shut down for three hours and the public still has not been told why. Most financial people probably suspect a hacking attack of some sort but the public may never really know what happened. Anonymous? Terrorists? Thieves/Hackers? Who knows, but it underscores how precarious computer networks can be.
    Lisa Burke