Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proxies Banned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Proxies Banned?

I can see it, too. I'm guessing everyone see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Moderated Debates?

The following is displaying on my machine.

"For security reasons, access to MTF through proxies will be blocked. Please disable this or change browsers."

Not doing either one so bye bye MTF.

Always,
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Does that mean everyone will be banned?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    The hacker group Anonymous has released a statement listing MilitaryTimes, among others, as targets for attack.
    We are taking precautionary measures to ensure our sites and forums are insulated from any hacking activity.

For those of you on proxies, we can see the difference between a LAN and a nefarious proxy.
    For those of us not nethack capable, how do we determine though if our web brouser etc use proxies>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was about to ask about this same message because I also have it and have no idea what I should do. The MTF comes through just fine except for the annoying box in the bottom corner. I would disable the proxy if I knew how or even knew what the hell a proxy is.
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
    Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Well smartphones sans wifi gets the red box as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    Does that mean everyone will be banned?
    I doubt it, that wouldn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bombsquadron6 View Post
    I would disable the proxy if I knew how or even knew what the hell a proxy is.
    I know you didn't mean this to be funny, but it is a little bit.

Honestly, I don't think this is something normal users have to worry about. Bourne said above that the software can tell the difference between a LAN (like wireless internet in your home) and a 'nefarious proxy'...which I'm not sure what that would be exactly, but I'm guessing its the sort of thing that someone hacking the website uses.

Basically, if your not hacking the forum, probably safe to ignore the little box thingy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    I know you didn't mean this to be funny, but it is a little bit.

Honestly, I don't think this is something normal users have to worry about. Bourne said above that the software can tell the difference between a LAN (like wireless internet in your home) and a 'nefarious proxy'...which I'm not sure what that would be exactly, but I'm guessing its the sort of thing that someone hacking the website uses.

Basically, if your not hacking the forum, probably safe to ignore the little box thingy.
    Actually, I kind of did mean for it to be funny. When you start throwing those techie words at me I go into "DUH" mode.
    Lisa Burke

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
    Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, November 11, 1947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By nefarious, he meant a suspect IP address such as a Netherlands or other country that is known to use proxy IP addresses to hide the users location. Many hackers use these types of measures to hide their locations.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

He is talking about in-browser proxies that direct your on-line browsing through an intermediary server (proxy). Chances are if you don't understand what this is, you aren't doing it.

Here is an excerpt from a techie site that explains it a little better:

There are several reasons why you want to browse the internet anonymously. The most common reason is that when you're browsing the net, you'll leave a calling card on every website where you're from, what webbrowser you're using, what computer you use and more details. For some people this is reason enough to browse the internet hidden under a proxy. These servers will hide your details so that you'll be sure nobody will find out who you are. Additionally, these sites can be used to unblock sites such as MySpace, YouTube and other sites that are blocked on your work / school.

When you use a proxy, the request of the website will not be send to the website directly, but to the proxy. This request is the one with your personal information. The proxy sends your request to the website you want to view, but now uses the information of that proxy server. This simply means that you'll not be directly connected to the website, but the proxy site is. This extra step will make the browsing go slower, but that's all it takes to browse anonymously.