Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moderated Debates?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Moderated Debates?

Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    Well then you are entirely wrong!! I interrupt your response to say everyone who posts here is out for what's best for their respective service and anyone with a different view might just roast kittens on the weekend.

We all service the American people, I walk down the streets and they thank me for my service quite frequently!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Last week I jokingly posted a comment about having a moderated monthly debate but the idea stuck in my head and I am wondering if there is enough interest to see if it’s feasible.

A rough idea would be to have polls for debate topics then solicit volunteer participants for each side of the question.

Would it be possible to have a thread that was password protected to allow only that month’s participants have access?

We could have an open sub-thread for the other forum members to comment into.

We could figure out a set number of posts for each side to present their cases and then have a poll to determine the winner.

I’m sure there are plenty of debate rules and procedures out there on the internet that could be used as a model for our particular style of debate.

I realize that this would take some effort on the part of the moderators and it might prove too much to pull off on a monthly basis, perhaps quarterly?

I don’t know if this would flop or not but it might be fun to try.

I thought I would toss this idea out as serious question for the mods and others to consider.
    I've seen this concept work in other boards that I'm a member of and don't see why it couldn't work here. When it comes to moderation of these types of debates, moderation is usually non existent due to the fact that both parties agree to follow the rules of the debate and only if something really out of the debate rules happens will I mod step in. We can have one dedicated mod to oversee debates.

The topics can be suggested by all members and mods and members could PM the mod assigned to the debate forum and he can pick the debaters if their is more than one for each side of the debate. We can do tag team debates also. I can see this idea gain traction is enough members are in favor and can suggest ways to make it viable and to the satisfaction of the larger community of members.

Keep your ideas and comments flowing... We are listening...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    It has to be offensive not humorous, homoerotic humorous dialogue is better at taking conversations off topic in my experience. I had this down to a science for quite a while.
    Down....you want to go down on me ?!?!?!

(not the best but I usually don't play this game)

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Down....you want to go down on me ?!?!?!

(not the best but I usually don't play this game)
    You can learn, I am an excellent teacher, or so I've been told! Just imagine the worst lines you could ever imagine yourself using on a chick, modify it for a dude, add two parts cyber stalker and one part Richard Simmons, then Execute!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I've seen this concept work in other boards that I'm a member of and don't see why it couldn't work here. When it comes to moderation of these types of debates, moderation is usually non existent due to the fact that both parties agree to follow the rules of the debate and only if something really out of the debate rules happens will I mod step in. We can have one dedicated mod to oversee debates.

The topics can be suggested by all members and mods and members could PM the mod assigned to the debate forum and he can pick the debaters if their is more than one for each side of the debate. We can do tag team debates also. I can see this idea gain traction is enough members are in favor and can suggest ways to make it viable and to the satisfaction of the larger community of members.

Keep your ideas and comments flowing... We are listening...
    I like the tag team idea…

We would also have to decide the number of rounds the debate would last and a time limit between each round for the teams to submit their responses.

I think the most difficult aspect would be selecting interesting topics.

Either way it goes, thanks for considering this!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The time limit is a good idea, and adds a bit of challenge too considering the different timezones we could all be in.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    The time limit is a good idea, and adds a bit of challenge too considering the different timezones we could all be in.
    I guess it would need to be a generous time limit, huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I guess it would need to be a generous time limit, huh?
    I would think so, yes. Don't ask for a suggestion! I have no idea what would be fair.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:spy "I vote for 'SGT HULK'!"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I've always been of the impression, if you wish for a debate to remain between two individuals in the MTF, those two master debaters should utilize the Multi-quote functionality of the webpage, respond to every nuance of every phrase in a person's text with a retort, dismiss the general point of their argument entirely, only to have it returned in kind in the next post. Most of the other posters lack the attention spans necessary to intervene or interrupt!
    Hmmm that reminds me of someone... of course I am 2 days post the original comment, so someone may have said the same thing....