View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with laws requring a photo ID for voting

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i do

29 80.56%
  • No i don't

6 16.67%
  • Other/undecided

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you agree, or disagree with voter id laws?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Do you agree, or disagree with voter id laws?

And why do you vote that way?

For me, i went with yes. The number of things you do these days you need an ID for, whether it be travel (even buses like greyhound i have heard ask for them), to entering buildings (federal or state) you have to show one for. So why has it NOT been a requirement before now for voting?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Do you agree, or disagree with voter id laws?

Good post. While I totally get the reasons for requiring photo ID, there's some problems:

1) Requiring photo ID is useless unless you also hire and/or train people who can actually tell if its a real ID or a fake.

2) I'm not convinced this would have any significant impact on voting fraud - a more effective way would be to ensure the votes are counted correctly, and if machines are used, make sure the company contracted to make them isn't blatantly partisan.

3) The cultural impact is worrisome - many of the states trying to pass this law (like South Carolina) have a pretty stinky history in regards to voting rights - like the poll tax. Even if the intent is pure, the way its perceived by the locals will probably be pretty bitter.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Seems to me like the sole purpose of this is to make voting more troublesome, in hopes that some will feel that it's not worth the trouble.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Good post. While I totally get the reasons for requiring photo ID, there's some problems:

1) Requiring photo ID is useless unless you also hire and/or train people who can actually tell if its a real ID or a fake.
    True, but it will at least cut down on those who are not legally qualified to vote from voting.

2) I'm not convinced this would have any significant impact on voting fraud - a more effective way would be to ensure the votes are counted correctly, and if machines are used, make sure the company contracted to make them isn't blatantly partisan.
    And how will that stop say all the illegals or others who vote who should not be able to?

3) The cultural impact is worrisome - many of the states trying to pass this law (like South Carolina) have a pretty stinky history in regards to voting rights - like the poll tax. Even if the intent is pure, the way its perceived by the locals will probably be pretty bitter.
    I will give you that. Some states do have a down right horrid voting history..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say yes. If a person can make the time and effort to get themselves to a polling location, then getting the ID shouldn't be a problem. It's not like they don't have time to get it before the national elections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are few modern political issues for which there is zero legitimate case to be made on one side, but voter ID is one of these. We can all point to many cases of extreme voter fraud, most of which could be prevented by simply verifying the identity of the voter. Of course, there are some with a vested interest in enabling voter fraud, which is the only serious reason for opposing voter ID. To anyone who makes the disingenuous argument that this is an attempt to "disenfranchise" minority voters who don't have voter ID, I say, "How would you ensure these legal minority voters get voter ID?" I've got no problem at all with it. If they don't have a drivers license, let the state issue them something else at no cost to them. Once all legal voters are offered voter ID at no cost to them, the "disenfranchised" argument shrivels, and it's clear that the opponents of voter IDs are more worried about "disenfranchising" illegal aliens, people who are paid to vote multiple times at multiple locations under multiple identities, and others who have no right to franchise in the first place.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I agree with voter ID laws. Voting is a fundamental right, but that right is just for one vote per election date.

I am living in South Carolina and it needs such laws to protect its citizens from questionable election ploys/ scams.

I just lost the ability to vote in my local Republican primary due to candidates (who followed exactly what they were told to do) having not completed the candidate registration process correctly. The candidates had to submit a paper copy of A and a electronic copy of B and both must be submitted at the exact same time, however, the candidates were told ensure the electronic document was completed before submitting the paper document. Everyone who did what they were told was ejected from the ballot (unless they were incumbents).

This situation affected nearly every Republican primary in the state in one way or another, however, not one democratic primary candidate in the entire state had an issue with it.

I've seen crooked voting in Louisiana. Some Candidates have paid a person $3 per vote they cast. Then the drivers get $2 per person they get to a voting station. I know it does not seem like much money, but is only a petty amount if you vote just once.

So IMHO voter ID laws are important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here in Mossouri, one has to report to the correct voting station, and show ID, before that person can vote. I agree with that policy, wholeheartedly.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

One way to ensure its done, is make all voting stations in federal buildings (or state) as you need id's to get in!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have asked a question regarding this in another thread and never got an answer. It isn't an attempt to make a point one way or the other but there is a constant claim by those that oppose these laws that they are intended to prevent minorities (actually blacks are usually cited) from voting and since most vote Democrat this is an attempt to influence elections.

Even if you concede a political motivation for this how exactly do these laws prevent anyone (or any race) from voting?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself