Thread: Something that bothers me about Bradley Manning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Something that bothers me about Bradley Manning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I think I giggled enough at this one to pee a little bit!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    I agree with you. I don't think he's an idealist "hero" or some of the other laudatory things he supporters have called him.

I also don't think he's some sort of craven "traitor", like his detractors have said, that deserves the death penalty. It's perfectly plausible that he was some love-sick kid trying to impress someone. Or he hated his job, and wanted out, by any means possible. I suppose it's even possible he was all of these at one point or another. Human's are complex that way.

it's unfortunate that we won't be able to read the trial transcripts, because I think it would give us some insight into his mental state, motives, etc.
    Why won't we be able to read the transcripts? Well, they usually aren't published but I haven't heard anything about this CM being a closed session.

Manning is a broken human being. He was before he went in. I have never bought into the 'traitor' label. The opposite is equally untrue (he deserves praise). THAT has always been my point in this case.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Part(s) of the CM were closed for classified material discussions, testimony, arguments, motions, etc.

We might eventually get a redacted version through FOIA, if someone with clout pushes hard enough. But I'm not holding my breath.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Part(s) of the CM were closed for classified material discussions, testimony, arguments, motions, etc.

We might eventually get a redacted version through FOIA, if someone with clout pushes hard enough. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Right. I forgot about the Seal Team 6 member testimony etc. I don't think the classified testimony would add to any picture other than the prosecution's use of it to illustrate damage done by the leaks.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself