Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: waist stays and....

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
    Well...why not? All the measurements will be consistent
    Check this out...the best and worst ways to measure body fat:

    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56830


    The BMI Test

    The verdict: Free and readily available; good for assessing health risks but doesn't measure body-fat percentage. If you are short, or very muscular, results tend to be less accurate.

    "It's a good starting point, a really good way to get a basic estimate of whether you are overweight or not," says Bryant. "BMI tends to correlate pretty closely with health risks associated with being overweight or obese."

    The experts' grade: D. "The BMI doesn't give you body fat measurement," says McCrory. "But if gives an excellent BMI measurement!"


    Body Fat-Measuring Scales

    The verdict: Convenient, but not always the most accurate.

    "The problem is, these devices are very sensitive to hydration -- how much fluid is in your body," Bryant tells WebMD. So it's important to strictly follow the guidelines for weighing yourself -- time of day, fluid and food intake. Even your menstrual cycle affects this reading. "However, with all this factored in, the scales are an easy, at-home way to keep track of your weight and fat-loss progress."

    There also are handheld versions that use this same technology. Just remember: You get what you pay for. Higher price equals greater accuracy.

    Grade: C+. "Even though they may not be accurate, it may be good for tracking changes with a diet and exercise program," says McCrory. "Just keep in mind that the scales might be off by 5%, plus or minus. Follow the instructions carefully. Taking a shower beforehand really makes the reading inaccurate!"


    DEXA Scanning

    The verdict: Looking good.

    DEXA is "an emerging technique that holds a lot of promise," Bryant tells WebMD. "It allows us to determine the amount of body fat overall, and to identify fat deposits in specific body regions. That's very important, because stores of body fat can be much more indicative of disease risk." For example, extra abdominal fat increases the risk of heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.

    Primary-care doctors, physical therapists, and health clubs will soon be offering DEXA scanning to assess body fat, Bryant tells WebMD. "If your BMI says you're in the obese category and you have a strong family history of heart disease and diabetes, it might behoove you to get more precise assessment of body composition," says Bryant.

    Grade: A. "It's one of the most accurate methods out there," says McCrory. "I haven't heard any news about DEXA in health clubs. But if you have the opportunity to be tested by DEXA, go for it." She warns, however, that obese people may have a hard time lying on the narrow tables used for this test


    Hydrodensitometry testing, this involves getting into a tank filled with water. Based on the amount of water you displace, your body density and body fat can be calculated.

    The verdict: "It's a very accurate way to measure body fat," says Bryant. But going into the water can be a problem. Some find the procedure "disconcerting."

    Grade: B-. Inconvenience is a big issue here, agrees McCrory. "My guess is that underwater testing will be a 'has been' in a few years."


    Bod Pod

    The verdict: McCrory says she believes it may be the way of the future, though Bryant notes that it needs some refinement.

    Grade: A. "It's much easier and more convenient than underwater weighing," says McCrory. "It is about as accurate and reliable as DEXA, is much cheaper, and is becoming more widely available."



    The Tape Measure (around the belly button)

    The verdict: This is a basic indicator of a body fat problem, says Bryant. "It's a good technique," says Kravitz.

    Grade: A. Girth measurement is "accurate and reliable" for assessing your risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer, says McCrory. Quite simply: The bigger the girth, the bigger the risk. "However, some new research is coming out suggesting that there is more risk than previously thought at even lower risk circumferences."



    Skinfold Calipers

    The verdict: Much depends on the skills of the person giving you the test. "The skinfold test can be reasonably accurate," Bryant tells WebMD. "But if the tester isn't experienced, or if they're using cheapo plastic calipers, take it with a grain of salt. It will be terribly unreliable."

    Grade: D. "These are rarely done correctly," says McCrory. "The technician usually does not grab enough fat so the result is usually a big underestimate of body fat. It's also difficult to grab the fat consistently."



    Infrared Light Measuring

    The verdict: "It hasn't proven to be terribly accurate," Bryant tells WebMD.

    Grade: F. Don't waste your time or money, says McCrory.



    Height/Weight Charts

    The verdict: "These charts have significant limitations," says Bryant. "They really aren't measuring fat-to-lean tissue. They are based on a limited sample of the population and can be misleading."

    Grade: F. "These do nothing to help us understand body composition," Kravitz says.

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Really I've no opinion on this, I figured the waist itself wasn't going anywhere anyway so didnt get all excited for it. They want us to be sticks in uniform and it'll stay that way for awhile not a news flash by any means.

    I want the EPR thing to def be looked at and improved though.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant eNYgma View Post
    Really I've no opinion on this, I figured the waist itself wasn't going anywhere anyway so didnt get all excited for it. They want us to be sticks in uniform and it'll stay that way for awhile not a news flash by any means.

    I want the EPR thing to def be looked at and improved though.
    So DSD guidance released in July is really beginning to change the landscape on AF standards. Now, TA is holding people accountable...well, more changes on the way as a result of some folks thinking they can hold off on thier CCAF and/or score less than an 80 on thier PT test to avoid DSD. Those jumping on profiles to avoid DSD are going to be in for a shock as well.

    Got an update on Friday about two big topics...EPRs and Profiles. Big AF is looking at the profile system because of suspected cheating...duh!! I've been voicing this since 2010 when people figured out how to manipulate the system. Apparently, the medical AFI covering DAWG and MEB procedures are under review and bases will now be responsible to ensure units are reporting those that meet DAWG criteria based on the new updated AFI 36-2905 guidance. Basically, anyone exempted in the same component for more than one year will be reviewed or 4 exemptions in a 2-year period.

    EPR and OPR forms are under revision. Looks like subjectivity will be reduced and supervisors will now have to make tough choices on how they rate their people under some new and revised metrics and guidance in an effort to reduce inflation.

    Any change will be phased in most likely starting late next year. I'm curious to see how this will all unfold.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    I really think there is something in the food making us fatter than ever! No, no, not the "fact" that we're less active than ever. I really think all this GMO crap we're eating is causing it! Over 20 years ago and before, not many grown men had waist sizes larger than a 36! Now it's more than half! And many career Airmen that were middle-aged men 35 and over did NOT exercise that year in between mile and a half runs and they made theirs just fine!

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I really think there is something in the food making us fatter than ever! No, no, not the "fact" that we're less active than ever. I really think all this GMO crap we're eating is causing it! Over 20 years ago and before, not many grown men had waist sizes larger than a 36! Now it's more than half! And many career Airmen that were middle-aged men 35 and over did NOT exercise that year in between mile and a half runs and they made theirs just fine!
    There is a lot of factor that come into play when it comes to why our population in general is getting fatter. I blame access to resource first. Before the Walmart explosion you really didn't have the availability to go and grab food that easy and usually when you bought at the local grocery store you bought what you need it. The proliferation of fast foods would be a close second IMO.

    When it comes to the Air Force I think that the main reason people have weight issues is just the nature of our jobs. The majority of us find ourselves at desk/chair jobs and those who work on an active AFSC like SF aren't usually given enough time to eat so fast foods and the like are what many of them choose to eat.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I really think there is something in the food making us fatter than ever! No, no, not the "fact" that we're less active than ever. I really think all this GMO crap we're eating is causing it! Over 20 years ago and before, not many grown men had waist sizes larger than a 36! Now it's more than half! And many career Airmen that were middle-aged men 35 and over did NOT exercise that year in between mile and a half runs and they made theirs just fine!
    It's most likely from folks drinking lots of Red Bulls and Sodie Pop.

  7. #87
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I really think there is something in the food making us fatter than ever! No, no, not the "fact" that we're less active than ever. I really think all this GMO crap we're eating is causing it! Over 20 years ago and before, not many grown men had waist sizes larger than a 36! Now it's more than half! And many career Airmen that were middle-aged men 35 and over did NOT exercise that year in between mile and a half runs and they made theirs just fine!
    Your hypothesis is more correct then you think. There are a lot of additional sugars and sodium in our food these days then there was 20 years ago. This means the way we taste our food has changed. If you went back in time, some of the same foods you eat today would taste different.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: waist stays and....

    Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I really think there is something in the food making us fatter than ever! No, no, not the "fact" that we're less active than ever. I really think all this GMO crap we're eating is causing it! Over 20 years ago and before, not many grown men had waist sizes larger than a 36! Now it's more than half! And many career Airmen that were middle-aged men 35 and over did NOT exercise that year in between mile and a half runs and they made theirs just fine!
    People were also shorter....and didn't live as long. Your point is? Being short and dying sooner is better?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

Similar Threads

  1. waist stays and....
    By mikezulu1 in forum Air Force
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •