Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this profiling?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Is this profiling?

Was not airforce town patrol...was army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    What if I forgot my military ID? I didn't know you HAD to have your military ID on you 24/7.
    How were you planning on getting back on base if you "forgot" your ID?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I still want to know what is wrong with profiling.
    If a clothing manufacturer markets a specific type of clothing t blacks, is that racist?

If a military cop singles out what he thinks are military personnel that is some form of discrimination?

If a comedian targets his act to appeal to southern white guys, is that racist?

If a NYPD cops stops and frisks young black males to disrupt gang violence among young black males, is that racist?

The term profiling is being used to softly or indirectly imply that police are racists. It is mostly a bogus claim in my opinion.

I think the OP should get over the fact that an MP asked to look at his ID card. So what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    If a NYPD cops stops and frisks young black males to disrupt gang violence among young black males, is that racist?
    I would say that it probably is. The rest of them I don't have a problem with but a cop should want to stop all gang violence, not just black gang violence. That aside, he shouldn't be frisking anybody unless they are first suspected of a specific crime. Now if he's stopping all black males with a specific dress, build, or appearance because they fit the description of a wanted criminal, then I would say that is not racist but being black alone isn't enough cause to stop somebody.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThaBufe View Post
    I would say that it probably is. The rest of them I don't have a problem with but a cop should want to stop all gang violence, not just black gang violence. That aside, he shouldn't be frisking anybody unless they are first suspected of a specific crime. Now if he's stopping all black males with a specific dress, build, or appearance because they fit the description of a wanted criminal, then I would say that is not racist but being black alone isn't enough cause to stop somebody.
    What if they are in a particular neighborhood that only has black drug gangs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What if they are in a particular neighborhood that only has black drug gangs?
    Then he/she should only be stopping people who at least loosely match the description of somebody suspected of a crime. Can't just go to the hood and stop everybody you see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I still want to know what is wrong with profiling.
    If a clothing manufacturer markets a specific type of clothing t blacks, is that racist?

If a military cop singles out what he thinks are military personnel that is some form of discrimination?

If a comedian targets his act to appeal to southern white guys, is that racist?

The term profiling is being used to softly or indirectly imply that police are racists. It is mostly a bogus claim in my opinion.

I think the OP should get over the fact that an MP asked to look at his ID card. So what?
    I agree - it is mostly bogus. It is used only when it will further an agenda of some sort.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    The thing that is most troublesome about profiling is that it works.
    In most cases, I would agree that it does work. That is the most offending part of profiling to those that oppose it.

Here is a very funny-but-true bit from Dave Chappelle regarding how one dresses and how that can lead to prejudicial thoughts:

The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!" Which is true. Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is ****ing confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform.
    Granted, this is meant as a joke but there is a great deal of truth behind it.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is not limited to Japan or Korea, but in Germany as well. Under the SOFA agreement (at least from what I remember when I was stationed in Spangdahlem from 04-08) SFS also had authority in the local communities and surrounding areas all the way to Trier. MPs had authority outside Baumholder community as well. That means if you were asked for ID, you'd show it. But like others have mention, you're speaking english in Germany, you're gonna stand out. SFS or MPs won't necessarily approach you unless you're doing something that looks suspicious or you're completely drunk off your ass.
    Now AF didn't have a curfew, but I remember being in a pub in Baumholder when the Army post did have a curfew. We should've known when the town was oddly quiet that there was a curfew, but it we didn't know until we were aggressively approached by two MPs, but once we showed our IDs, they informed us of the situation and advised us to go elsewhere.

A few times we have gotten away with not having our IDs on us for safety/security reasons. If we were going to a local fair or beer festival, we'd leave our military IDs at someone's home and then carry on the night. We still had stateside IDs or passports on us in case we were ID'd by the German police. Only once were we stopped by SFS in Wittlich, but once we explained our situation, they were understandable and told us to have a good night and be careful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is the military a dictatorship or just a double standard? Lets be serious, stopping people for no reason to look at their military ID is the biggest joke I have ever heard of. I have never been stopped unless it was at the gate in my nine years for anyone to look at my ID until I got to Korea.