Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BMT First Sergeant removed for having different views on gay marriage than CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: BMT First Sergeant removed for having different views on gay marriage than CC

Quote Originally Posted by Koa1121 View Post
    What stands out more to me.. The CC going full on to try and go after the MTI for something fairly petty, and the 1st Sgt apparently being treated like crap for sticking up for the instructor. I truly feel bad for anyone that gets non-vol'd to be an MTI these days.
    The article said something about the TI was instructing his troops and talking about the fall of the roman empire and said something about gay marriage?

The empire didn't fall because of homosexuality. This is not "fairly petty"...it's a theory (mostly discredited) from the 16th century, and a favorite among Christian circles because it supports their worldview. The empire declined over 4 centuries, and its treasury was more and more consumed by losing military battles and corrupt politicians, with the military conquest of the city of Rome in 410 and it's final overthrow in 460-ish. There are a host of military, political, and economic reasons for the fall of the Roman Empire. Not only is an in depth discussion of the fall of the Roman Empire inappropriate (and may be impossible) in BMT, explaining its fall as a result of homosexuality is clearly a biased interpretation of history.

So no, it's not petty, it's important. As to the 1st shirt, a self-proclaimed devout evangelical christian, he shouldn't be anywhere near BMT. Any more than you would think a devout Shiite Muslim should be. Send him to Creech or Sandestrom, where he can do any harm, and let him retire from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: BMT First Sergeant removed for having different views on gay marriage than CC

Thanks for the history lesson hero. I'm sure you were in the dayroom and heard the entire lecture the MTI gave. Having been the one giving lectures in the dayroom as an MTI, I can tell you many, many sensitive subjects come up during talks with the flight. It is the instructor's job to professionaly deflect any sort of talk that could be considered inflamatory, but since I wasn't there in this situation, I won't speculate on the context of the conversation like the commander apparently did. I'm basing my opinion off of what I read, which was very little info about the actual incident with the MTI. The lesbian CC saw red as soon as she heard the MTI was critiqued by the trainees, and probably didn't even bother to ask the other 50 kids in the flight what happened, or the context of the conversation. It's typical behavior now at Lackland to villify MTI's before any due process. Also, to say that the 1st shirt needs to be shipped to Creech is immature at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no more immature than an E8 going to the press. If we are jumping to conclusions based on one person's version of an at least 4 sided story, then we can jump any direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I couldn't even finish the interview. That dude comes across as a total tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Koa1121 View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson hero. I'm sure you were in the dayroom and heard the entire lecture the MTI gave. Having been the one giving lectures in the dayroom as an MTI, I can tell you many, many sensitive subjects come up during talks with the flight. It is the instructor's job to professionaly deflect any sort of talk that could be considered inflamatory, but since I wasn't there in this situation, I won't speculate on the context of the conversation like the commander apparently did.
    It's been awhile since I was in BMT, but I don't remember talking much. Lectures in the classroom were just that, lectures. We as a flight sat down and listened, no talking. Times change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    It's been awhile since I was in BMT, but I don't remember talking much. Lectures in the classroom were just that, lectures. We as a flight sat down and listened, no talking. Times change.
    Well, as it so happens I know a person that is in BMT right now. I'll ask when they are done whether in depth discussion of the history of the roman empire was part of training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    no more immature than an E8 going to the press. If we are jumping to conclusions based on one person's version of an at least 4 sided story, then we can jump any direction.
    I have to say it seems pretty ballsy getting on television like that...

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

He almost started crying at one point and I couldn't tell if he was hamming it up or not.

Going on TV news while still on active duty isn't something I would do because I'm sure it could be used against you later; heck, I don't think I would ever go running to a news station in a situation like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stripping away all the BS, after reading reading two articles, and seeing the interview...this is what appears to have happened:

1. TI says something about gay marriage while talking to his troops (accounts vary on why and what context). No one seems to dispute that he did.
    2. 7 trainees filed complaints.
    3. An investigation ensued and the TI got an LOC.
    4. Some time AFTER than, the CC asked to talk to her 1st shirt about it. The conversation became heated or contentious. He volunteered to take leave. She said fine.
    5. He was reassigned to a different unit, because his replacement was there and he was tour was over. His new assignment is commensurate with is rank and experience.

Doesn't sound to me like the guy was fired or punished at all. Sounds to me like he had a disagreement with is CC right before his reassignment date. Take away all the "religious liberty" press, attention grabbing stuff, and you end up with what seems like a routine military event. I mean, this isn't the first guy that didn't get along with his commander, you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    Things are way different now. There are actually scripted topics to be spoken about. While I doubt the Roman Empire is a topic, as it wasn't when I was there, I'm fairly positive DADT repeal is a topic that is covered. They are designed to be 2 way conversations with the trainees, and instructors. How he arrived at Roman Empire/gay marriage isn't something anyone outside of that day room knows. I just find it all too common that the commander's reaction was to go after the instructor's career. Although all he ended up with was an LOC, seems like the commander wanted blood.