Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Equator-crossing ceremonies

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Equator-crossing ceremonies

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    +1. For spelling SeAL, in its traditional form. Sea, Air. Land.

Those guys didn't/don't haze, they just had different ways to have fun.

Duct taping a wet blanket around a rookie, and throwing him in a chest freezer.
    True, different kinds of fun. At the same time, a command event or function is a different monster than what guys do off site or away from the command. I have been the CFL at 3 different commands, and each time there was an initial fear that I was going to go "Marine" or even "Recon" with the PT or FEP program. Why would I need to? That isn't the standard, it was where I came from but not where I am now. Whether a wog, a SN, a Sailor on FEP etc. I can train you (at this point in my career I am usually approving training plans but can still PT pretty well) without crossing the line between training and hazing. I wrote my ship's crossing the line instruction, which was pretty good. It didn't have some of the stuff we did when I was a wog, but it was fun, people blew off steam and no one got injured or hazed.

The bad part of when fun goes to far and turns into hazing is you jade people's perception of the Navy or the worst thing is actually injuring someone. The Sailor I referenced before who had to have blood drained from his arms after getting his crow tacked was not a superstar nor was he below average, pretty much he was what you expect of a SN who just got picked up for 3rd. In time he may have made 1st Class then Chief. Who knows, he may have gone on to be a CMC. Unfortunately we will never know, before we left for deployment he was medically separated due to a loss of sensation in his arms and hands, related to the incident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, there's a large gray area when it comes to hazing. I've heard of a couple of incidents were the person hazed sought retribution while the other(s) were asleep. With that I fault supervision. I was lucky, my first fleet experience was on a Commodore's flag-ship. A real squared away crew, and the three years flew bye. A couple other commands, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    FUN FACT:

The producers of JAG first pitched the idea for the television series to be set in the Air Force, but Air Force brass turned them down so they made it a Navy show, we also passed on the movie, Top Gun.

I don't mind you guys getting Tom Cruise but we really messed up giving you Catherine Bell.
    Actually, Catherine Bell's character didn't join the show until the 2nd season. Rabb's partner in the first season was Leiutenant Junior Grade Meg Austin, played by the lovely Tracey Needham. I believe the show started on one network, which cancelled after the first season, and was then picked up by a 2nd network, where it found great success.....but without "Meg", and with the addition of Sarah "Mac" McKenzie.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0020...ttfc_fc_cl_t16

Catherine Bell also played, during the first season of the show, a young Navy Leiutenant, who was killed. The producers remembered her, when they were casting for a lead female role in the re-do of the series (after the first season), and cast her opposite David James Elliot.

My personal favorite was Petty Officer Jennifer Coates, played by Zoe McLellan. :love_heart:
    Trust me when I say that there weren't too many Navy gals that looked like her, back in MY day!! LOL

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Old Dog View Post
    Actually, Catherine Bell's character didn't join the show until the 2nd season. Rabb's partner in the first season was Leiutenant Junior Grade Meg Austin, played by the lovely Tracey Needham. I believe the show started on one network, which cancelled after the first season, and was then picked up by a 2nd network, where it found great success.....but without "Meg", and with the addition of Sarah "Mac" McKenzie.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0020...ttfc_fc_cl_t16

Catherine Bell also played, during the first season of the show, a young Navy Leiutenant, who was killed. The producers remembered her, when they were casting for a lead female role in the re-do of the series (after the first season), and cast her opposite David James Elliot.

My personal favorite was Petty Officer Jennifer Coates, played by Zoe McLellan. :love_heart:
    Trust me when I say that there weren't too many Navy gals that looked like her, back in MY day!! LOL
    Thanks for the fun facts!

That show was total garbage in terms of being anywhere near reality but totally watchable because of Catherine Bell.

I think the idea of the show must have been inspired by the movie, A Few Good Men, which was based on a broadway play.

I've got to give it to the Navy, you guys are way better at cooperating with Hollywood than the Air Force is.