Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Equator-crossing ceremonies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Equator-crossing ceremonies

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "I'll try to copy and post my fathers he was awarded steaming (yea, real steam) enroute to Guadalcanal aug '42."
    Um, today's nuke ships still use steam. Real steam, even!

The ceremonies today, I'd wager, are a pale comparison to what I went through in 82, on board the USS Enterprise. They're only hazing to the politically correct wusses who can't handle it. :usa2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Pretty much anything today can be considered hazing depending on the context.

Some things actually do need to be reworked as folks take them to extremes. Two cases in point - pining your Dolphins on by punching you in the chest while you are wearing them (without the backs on) and tacking on the crow of someone who just made rate.

Some - well the babies simply need to grow up instead of whining because their feelings were hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    Pretty much anything today can be considered hazing depending on the context.

Some things actually do need to be reworked as folks take them to extremes. Two cases in point - pining your Dolphins on by punching you in the chest while you are wearing them (without the backs on) and tacking on the crow of someone who just made rate.

Some - well the babies simply need to grow up instead of whining because their feelings were hurt.
    One thing you are failing to factor in is that sometimes it isn't even the person being subjected to the hazing that whines about it... It is an observer that is butt-hurt FOR them.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Exactly.. Had one lass who got her crow's tacked on who had NO issue with it. But yet another lass watching reported it as hazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    One thing you are failing to factor in is that sometimes it isn't even the person being subjected to the hazing that whines about it... It is an observer that is butt-hurt FOR them.
    Au contraire shipmate.

I am quite aware that it many times is a person that is totally outside the conversation, event, etc., that has the issue. In fact, when the PC crowd first reared it's ugly head the Navy leadership at the time made it clear that it was immaterial if the person was part of the conversation, event, etc.

For example, I have a private conversation with you in an office. The talk gets a little salty, but you and I know each other well and take no offense at the comments.

Sammy or Susie Sailor, who just so happens to be (insert your choice of ethnic background, choice of intimate companionship, etc., here) walks by and hears us talk. They have no business eavesdropping on the conversation. They don't like what's said, they need to move on. Instead, they holler we harrassed them when we were not even talking to them or about them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "1 November, 1794; USS Constitution was laid down, 21 October, 1797 is launched! Still serving Proudly in our US NAVY!! Lets sea something beat that in America!!" 'RC'.
    First American Regiment (Now known as the Third Infantry Regiment) first organized in 1784.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    Sammy or Susie Sailor, who just so happens to be (insert your choice of ethnic background, choice of intimate companionship, etc., here) walks by and hears us talk. They have no business eavesdropping on the conversation. They don't like what's said, they need to move on. Instead, they holler we harrassed them when we were not even talking to them or about them.
    The reality is, a workplace is a common area and today in a workplace there is some language, conversations & jokes that if there is a chance someone else will hear it and be offended by it ... you are wrong even if they are not part of your conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Yes, this is true. One time, I was a shop chief and happened to be talking to an Airman who made some mention of his arm being sore or something.

I inquired further and he took off his BDU top to show me a huge bruise he had on his arm...he'd had his SrA stripes tacked on the day before...he'd was laughing and thought it was kind of funny/cool that he went throught this.

I did not...and issued all involved a letter of reprimand....I can be kind of a whiner that way.
    So without knowing where he got the bruise, you punished those in your shop? How do you know he didn't get the bruise from the other dorm rats? Not saying you were wrong but....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    The reality is, a workplace is a common area and today in a workplace there is some language, conversations & jokes that if there is a chance someone else will hear it and be offended by it ... you are wrong even if they are not part of your conversation.
    Quite true, and that is why it is important to ensure you do not indulge in that sort of thing, especially if you are the person in charge. After all, you are supposed to set the example.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly.. Had one lass who got her crow's tacked on who had NO issue with it. But yet another lass watching reported it as hazing.
    But as far as 'tradition' goes, tacking on a crow initially involved a newly-promoted Sailor's fellow petty officers taking turns stitching the new rank on his uniform (the rushed needlework referred to as tacking) only in the latter half of the 20th century did this become physically tacking either as a soft tap or an aggressive punch. If we would like to get back to tradition, everyone should start learning how to sew.