Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

When I first saw this headline I was thinking it might be a joke article from duffleblog. Then I opened the link and realized this is actually true. So now the DoD is providing benefits for Gay troops and even giving them entitlements that straight airmen are not eligible for.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...marriage-leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

I just read the article. It looks like there are a bunch of rules and conditions. Not all gays will have those free days of leave though. If they are within 100 miles of a state that performs same sex marriage then they do not get the free days of leave. I am more understanding of the overseas policy vs. the stateside policy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not only do they get uncharged leave, they also get retroactive bennies...wonder how much THAT will cost the DoD...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have no problem with same-sex marriages but how is this 'equal treatment'?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Holy nut bags. So if a couple is 120 miles away from a state that has gay marriage, they get 7 days??? Let me restate... drive 2 hours, get married, and recieve 7 days of leave. Oh hell nah. That is plain and simple wrong. These blanket policies are B.S. I am not against giving them leave for a service not in the area they should be all rights be entitled too, but make it reasonable. Within 8 hrs = 3 days, ect. Basically, I see us now advocating honeymoon time for only gay troops.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

20+Years,

I agree with you. It makes sense for overseas assignments but not for CONUS.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    20+Years,

I agree with you. It makes sense for overseas assignments but not for CONUS.
    Why does it makes sense in any case?

An AF member is assigned overseas. He/She meets a civilian (of the oppostie sex) on line (or they are dating before departure on the overseas assignment). After several months they realize they are in love and decide to get married. What do they do? Well, they can wait until the military member's DEROS and is back in the CONUS or he/she can take ordinary leave and get married...............................exactly why couldn't a same sex couple do the same (without the special considerations)?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Why does it makes sense in any case?

An AF member is assigned overseas. He/She meets a civilian (of the oppostie sex) on line (or they are dating before departure on the overseas assignment). After several months they realize they are in love and decide to get married. What do they do? Well, they can wait until the military member's DEROS and is back in the CONUS or he/she can take ordinary leave and get married...............................exactly why couldn't a same sex couple do the same (without the special considerations)?
    Are you suggesting that law makers use common sense when crafting the rules?

Now that is just preposterous! Don't you know that first you have to score points with your special interest group by attempting to reward them extra bennies, then you wait till one of your opponents objects to your legislation, then you trash them in the press for being bigoted.

Common sense has nothing to do with it. It is all kabuki theater.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    Holy nut bags. So if a couple is 120 miles away from a state that has gay marriage, they get 7 days??? Let me restate... drive 2 hours, get married, and recieve 7 days of leave. Oh hell nah. That is plain and simple wrong. These blanket policies are B.S. I am not against giving them leave for a service not in the area they should be all rights be entitled too, but make it reasonable. Within 8 hrs = 3 days, ect. Basically, I see us now advocating honeymoon time for only gay troops.
    This is the craziest part to me. 100 miles is not all that far. Like you said basically gay people get honeymoon leave now. The other thing I find interesting is the retroactive benefits. That is going to be a nightmare. Let's say for example I am gay and I have been living with my boyfriend in Ohio for 5 years. Since Ohio doesn't recognize same sex marriage we are not married. This policy says I can get retroactive benefits but it doesn't mention what I need to do. In order for retroactive pay do I have to get married right now? What if because of time constraints we are unable to get married until next year? Do I still get retroactive benefits even for the time we are not married? How can that possibly be legal?

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    This is the craziest part to me. 100 miles is not all that far. Like you said basically gay people get honeymoon leave now. The other thing I find interesting is the retroactive benefits. That is going to be a nightmare. Let's say for example I am gay and I have been living with my boyfriend in Ohio for 5 years. Since Ohio doesn't recognize same sex marriage we are not married. This policy says I can get retroactive benefits but it doesn't mention what I need to do. In order for retroactive pay do I have to get married right now? What if because of time constraints we are unable to get married until next year? Do I still get retroactive benefits even for the time we are not married? How can that possibly be legal?
    I would imagine the retroactive benefits would apply to same-sex couples who were married in a state that recognizes same-sex marriage, yet couldn't recieve benefits normally given to military spouses due to the defense of marriage act, which goverened federal marriage benefits and defined marriage to opposite sex couples only. I agree that it's going to be a nightmare to process, but I think it's the right thing to do. I'm on the fence regarding the leave. 10 days is pretty excessive, unless you're CONUS and waiting on Space-A. I appreciate the DOD trying to reduce the hardships same-sex couples face living in a state that doesn't recognize marriage equality, but it seems like the "extra" benefit provided here might do more harm than good, and reduce the strength of the argument same-sex couples make for being equal. If I were in a same-sex relationship and wanted to get married, I'd probably decline the extra days and just use my chargable leave.