Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
    How about making it fair this way...
    If a servicemember wants to get married and is currently overseas and the country they are currently stationed is a non-english speaking country (which eliminates England and Ireland), then the servicemember should be allowed 10 days PTDY to return CONUS to get married.
    This is will be fair for everyone and it'll be safer too.

One question though...what if a servicemember is station in a country where homosexuality is illegal or very hostile towards it? Turkey is one country that is hostile towards homosexuality, but also many Middle Eastern countries are as well. Will the DoD make those assignments dependent restricted tours for those servicemember or give family seperation pay? That seems very unfair to heterosexual couples
    Why is it being a non-English speaking country a stipulation of yours? What does that matter?

How about no free marriage leave at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Why not just make it so chaplains can give binding marriages to anybody? Problem solved....
    because while the Government recongizes gay marriage, many religions do not. You cannot make someone who bond by faith to perform something that goes against their teachings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

because while the Government recongizes gay marriage, many religions do not. You cannot make someone who bond by faith to perform something that goes against their teachings.
    Ok then, make volunteer laypeople eligible. This can be done, I have a friend who, despite being an atheist, performs Star Wars and other science fiction themed weddings. There is paperwork to be filled out depending on the state. So make it federal.

I'd volunteer to perform such weddings. It'd be an honor to join two people who love each other in marriage.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Why is it being a non-English speaking country a stipulation of yours? What does that matter?

How about no free marriage leave at all?
    Because servicemembers might get married to local nationals while stationed Germany, Italy, Turkey, or Holland. Unless you are fluent in the native language, you probably do no any idea what the person performing the cermoney is saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok then, make volunteer laypeople eligible. This can be done, I have a friend who, despite being an atheist, performs Star Wars and other science fiction themed weddings. There is paperwork to be filled out depending on the state. So make it federal.

I'd volunteer to perform such weddings. It'd be an honor to join two people who love each other in marriage.
    Not sure if volunteer laypeople are recongized in the AF? My old NCOIC was a pastor to his local village church but he wasn't allowed to preach at the base chapel. In any case, the solution to that, just have the weddings off base.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure if volunteer laypeople are recongized in the AF? My old NCOIC was a pastor to his local village church but he wasn't allowed to preach at the base chapel. In any case, the solution to that, just have the weddings off base.
    Hence the need for TDYs in these cases, I guess.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

What if I am stationed in California but want to get married in, say, Texas (a non-alimony State). If I don't like the laws of the State I'm residing in, I should ALSO be given 10 days, or 5 days, or even 1 day.

This law is so freakin' gay. Now if we would only allow 5 year olds to decide which bathroom they use we'd be on the right track. What a fucked up country. Still better than most but going downhill fast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    What if I am stationed in California but want to get married in, say, Texas (a non-alimony State). If I don't like the laws of the State I'm residing in, I should ALSO be given 10 days, or 5 days, or even 1 day.

This law is so freakin' gay. Now if we would only allow 5 year olds to decide which bathroom they use we'd be on the right track. What a fucked up country. Still better than most but going downhill fast.
    There is a big difference between not liking a law but still being allowed to marry and not be allowed to marry at all. I do feel the length of time should depend on the geographic location, but otherwise I really don't have any heartburn with it.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Because servicemembers might get married to local nationals while stationed Germany, Italy, Turkey, or Holland. Unless you are fluent in the native language, you probably do no any idea what the person performing the cermoney is saying.
    Then you should have to cope with it on your own.

I thought our gay comrades wanted equal treatment? Hell, I want our gay comrades to be treated equally.

What is with all the extra special considerations?

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all a part of the same compost pile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why not just make it so chaplains can give binding marriages to anybody? Problem solved....
    Chaplains can give legally binding marriages. Most chaplains will be happy to officiate the ceremony if you meet their requirements. There was a catholic chaplain at WPAFB that required the couple to come to like 3 counseling sessions first. The only problem is that in order to get married you have to apply for a marriage license from the state. The person who officiates just signs the form. You would still need to be in a state that recognizes same sex marriage.