Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_eyes View Post
    Yes, it's happening. Or yes, they should be treated EQUAL and get leave just like straight people?
    Yes it's happening. My opinion on the latter is yes as well, but it's not what's being done.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Gay couples in military having trouble getting leave to get married

Stars and Stripes http://www.stripes.com/news/gay-coup...rried-1.245630
    From the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    An enlisted woman in the Air Force stationed at Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi, who asked that her name not be used for fear of reprisal, said she asked for the leave earlier this month but was told authorization to grant the time off hadn’t “trickled down” yet.

She used personal leave to go to New York to get married, and her spouse successfully registered for benefits on the base after the couple returned.

Even so, she said: “Let’s say I married a man, I’m sure I wouldn’t be having any of these holdups.”
    Um, yes...yes you would have those "hold-ups." You'd have to us personal leave to go to New York to marry your male spouse if you weren't gay.

She inadvertantly pointed out the insanity of the policy in a round-about way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like this one....

"The frustrations are palpable for soldiers such as Spc. Jodie Harper, an Ohio National Guard member and Army supply clerk stationed in Kuwait. When he heard about the new policy, he immediately applied for 10 days of leave to wed his longtime companion, Craig Roberts, in Washington, D.C., where gay marriage is legal."

Who the fuck gets to take leave when they are deployed? Fucking crybaby.

"Nor, Pentagon officials now say, is the leave available to troops deployed in Kuwait, Afghanistan and other bases in the Middle East that the Pentagon uses to support the war in Afghanistan."

Yet....

"Lt. Sheila McCabe, an Army air defense officer deployed to Kuwait, said her application to go home to get married was turned down by her battalion commander, who said he had never heard of the new leave policy. She said he told her she could take personal leave to go home.

McCabe said “many people” in her unit “had commented negatively” since the Pentagon announced the policy. “I actually have been told that ‘your situation shouldn’t make you special,’” she said."
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings