Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Gay troops can be authorized up to 10 days of "marriage leave"

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Neither one was legally married in the eyes of the Federal Government so.....still waiting for one that was legally married and denied bennies because of sexual identity OR one that had kids and was denied bennies because of sexual identity. You are confusing the legal definition of marriage as defined by DOMA with DoD policy... YOU said the policy for BAH etc was based upon sexual identity and it isn't/wasn't.... It was based on dependency status which was defined by the Federal Gov-NOT the DoD....

And? I am still waiting for you to explain how the DoD denied BAH etc to a homosexual with kids or one that was married to someone of the opposite gender based upon thier sexuality.... Just one....
    You didnt ask for that nor is it relevant.

The federal government and therefore dod policy was based on dependancy status - and for marriage that was based on sexuality. yes, a homosexual could marry someone of the opposite gender - but why would they want to? i could guarantee that as a heterosexual there would be no way id marry someone of my gender, no matter what benefits were offered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It is indeed. So give homosexuals the same benefits if the nation insists on reward all who choose to get married and have a family. But don't give them extra benefits because their partner is same sex. If they choose to get married, they know if the state they live in allows it. If not, then they need to make the time, on their own, to get it taken care of. Just as I really dislike the 10 days of "paternity leave". I know it's kind of a cliché, but the military did not ask you to get married/have children. I know a guy (worked with him) who's wife is now pregnant with their 8th child. The leave wasn't around for the first few, but if it was that's 80 days when others have had to pick up the slack because they choose to have kids.

This isn't about sexuality. This is about being given extra benefits/being rewarded for making choices that aren't necessary ones.
    As long as youre ok with wiping all other non necesary leaves or benefits - then thats fine by me.

But i would have heartburn denying this while people are still allowed up to 30 days to participate in sports, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    You didnt ask for that nor is it relevant.

The federal government and therefore dod policy was based on dependancy status - and for marriage that was based on sexuality. yes, a homosexual could marry someone of the opposite gender - but why would they want to? i could guarantee that as a heterosexual there would be no way id marry someone of my gender, no matter what benefits were offered.
    Fine...then give me one example of a homosesexual with kids that was denied bennies based upon their sexual preference... If the benefits were based on sexual identity as you claim, that should be pretty easy....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Fine...then give me one example of a homosesexual with kids that was denied bennies based upon their sexual preference... If the benefits were based on sexual identity as you claim, that should be pretty easy....
    My post specifically referred to marriage and you know it.

This is getting pointless. You're not seeing the forest for the trees & its a minor point that is detracting from the overall topic. Moving on.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a question. A friend and I got into a good natured fight about this.
    Are gay people actually getting the leave, or is it just a proposal? Is it happening, or just being talked about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_eyes View Post
    I have a question. A friend and I got into a good natured fight about this.
    Are gay people actually getting the leave, or is it just a proposal? Is it happening, or just being talked about?
    It's a no shit policy, service-wide guidance has been disseminated with this item on the list.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, it is actually happening, and not just being talked about?
    ( forgive my chemo brain. This lasts for quite a while)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think two travel days is all they should get, with all the rest chargeable to annual leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's happening. Or yes, they should be treated EQUAL and get leave just like straight people?