Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MCPON orders chief-season standdown amid 'unprofessional behavior' reports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: MCPON orders chief-season standdown amid 'unprofessional behavior' reports

Chief season really makes it sound like there is a time of year that the Navy allows you to hunt their E-7/E-8/E-9s....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Chief season really makes it sound like there is a time of year that the Navy allows you to hunt their E-7/E-8/E-9s....
    Actually that's pretty close to what the MCPON is doing. CMCs will be shown the door if bad things happen under their watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Gonna pull this one up again.

Navy Times now has a lead article on 12 selectees being hospitalized during PT and part of the story in the non-premium content was they were being told to push themselves.

Much more like this, and I can easily see the Navy consigning a separate ceremony and process for welcoming new members to the CPO Mess to the dumpster, and 16 September simply becoming another day except the folks selected for Chief get frocked in the same ceremony that E-6 and below are frocked in.

All because folks get carried away and fail to think before acting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    Gonna pull this one up again.

Navy Times now has a lead article on 12 selectees being hospitalized during PT and part of the story in the non-premium content was they were being told to push themselves.

Much more like this, and I can easily see the Navy consigning a separate ceremony and process for welcoming new members to the CPO Mess to the dumpster, and 16 September simply becoming another day except the folks selected for Chief get frocked in the same ceremony that E-6 and below are frocked in.

All because folks get carried away and fail to think before acting.
    Yes I believe it will end up just like that. Yes some folks got carried away and failed to think before acting, but the mentality of the Navy today is such that anyone who complains or becomes offended has their grievance elevated to the highest level instead of dealing with it at the lowest level in the chain of command to resolve. That is the indication that all (and I do mean all!) of the authority the CPO Mess once had has been taken away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ski -

Agreed. I work with an active duty LSCM (former SK/AK) and we both are seeing the same thing now that these issues are ending up on the front page of Navy Times, being bumped up almost immediately to the highest level for action, and doubtless the subject of more than one P-4 message vice the way you and I were taught back in the day.

But then, before I left I was already seeing a trend towards not making a move without going "Mommy may I?" vice knowing the scope of your authority and the difference between issues you could handle without telling the DIVO, Dept. Head, etc., those you could handle and let them know after the fact what happened and what was done to correct it, and what you had to bump up the chain for action as you were well outside the scope of your authority in handling it.

Guess I'd best start looking for that rocking chair and a cold beer ...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    But then, before I left I was already seeing a trend towards not making a move without going "Mommy may I?" vice knowing the scope of your authority and the difference between issues you could handle without telling the DIVO, Dept. Head, etc., those you could handle and let them know after the fact what happened and what was done to correct it, and what you had to bump up the chain for action as you were well outside the scope of your authority in handling it.
    Probably the #1 reason why I got out after 11 years. I tried making the exact same decisions that my LPO used to make at my previous sea command (I just came off of four years of shore duty), and boy did I learn. So I stepped back, and now I'm not stepping up enough.

I had enough the ambiguity, and decided that it was time to hang up the uniform.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Chief's Season, training etc. is a sore subject in multiple sections of the Navy right now. Finding a way to balance what is necessary to get the selectee ready to assume greater responsibility and authority while not adversely impacting the mission (combating the limited number of hours in a day) is hard and something that personally frustrated me more than once.

Since transferring from the Marine Corps over 10 years ago I have often wondered why there is a lack of responsibility and leadership training for most of our Sailors until they are selected for Chief. As a result of progressively assigning responsibility, teaching leadership and formal training at things such as Corporal’s Courses and the Sergeant’s Course I see that the average Cpl or Sgt is just as proficient and is a superior leader to the average 3rd, 2nd or 1st Class Petty Officer and as I subjectively compare SNCOs and Chiefs I don't think either one has cornered the market on technical & tactical proficiency or leadership, but a newly promoted SSgt (yes an E6 -- but that is where the Marines make that break) hits the ground running much faster than the newly frocked Chief – and they do it without being largely absent from their duties for the previous 6 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about we take a good look at the activities that are taking time and energy away from both the workplace and the transition process? First and foremost, why all the fundraising? Since the mid-90's, the CPO initiation/transition/ whateveryoucallit season has centered around fundraising. Personally, I find it offensive to see CPO selectees jumping around like teenage cheer team members for a "CPO SELECTEE CAR WASH". Where is the dignity in that? It used to be that CPO's handled their business in the mess. Now it seems like everyone in the command, from junior enlisted to senior officers, is involved in the process. Today's CPO's need to get back to basics. An example: What was the purpose for the "charge book"? We were responsible for creating our own (believe me, mine looks like I made it), now the selectees have them professionally made as if they were a trophy. Somehow making Chief created a sub-industry of plaques, books, hatboxes and the like. Back to basics, I say.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Basically it is exactly as you say Master Chief. I can't understand why MCPON is issuing press releases from his office with Navy Times reporting his thoughts on how the CPO Mess should be dealing with CPO training. That is something needing to be handled WITHIN the CPO Mess. In fact, all of these problems that he is airing in public should be handled by him working THROUGH the individual CMC's and Fleet & Force Master Chiefs and leave the publicity out of it. After all, isn't that what they are there for?? I've been scratching my head about that one. I'm quite sure all of the active duty CPO's agree with me on this. I do remember him saying something to the effect that he is trying to change the CPO Mess from being a fraternal organization. Why? I have no idea and he has not articulated a reason for wanting to do something like that which would be of any benefit whatsoever to the Navy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spot on Chief, the MCPON is playing politics with his management (not leadership)of the mess.