Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MCPON orders chief-season standdown amid 'unprofessional behavior' reports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: MCPON orders chief-season standdown amid 'unprofessional behavior' reports

He's following a very tough act in MCPON West and he just isn't up to the task. Looking for an opportunity to write his legacy and this is where it starts - mark my words here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    You would think they would know better sincethere isn't a single enlisted member than can issue an order.... I do find it amusing that he thinks changing the nomenclature will solve the problem...

"He also “sundowned” the term “induction” as it was too often associated with inappropriate behavior."
    Where you getting that one from, shipmate?

Last time I looked, I'm enlisted. I just reviewed the UCMJ, and there is an article in there that addressess disobeying the lawful order of a warrant officer, non-commissioned officer, or petty officer. The warrant is a commissioned officer; the other two are definitely enlisted. I think that means I can give a subordinate an order and have the backing of the chain of command if they choose to ignore it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post

Last time I looked, I'm enlisted. I just reviewed the UCMJ, and there is an article in there that addressess disobeying the lawful order of a warrant officer, non-commissioned officer, or petty officer. The warrant is a commissioned officer; the other two are definitely enlisted. I think that means I can give a subordinate an order and have the backing of the chain of command if they choose to ignore it.
    I think he is talking about General Orders that affect policy and are normally issued from CNO, SECNAV, etc. to Commanders, Commanding Officers. The MCPON has done just that because the policy affects all commands.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4CECMC View Post
    ... it's only a matter of time until this time honored and very important tradition becomes equal to what those in the USA/USAF/USMC and USCG undergo, a handshake and a picture ...
    I was a GySgt in the Marine Corps, there is more to becoming a SNCO in the USMC than a handshake and a photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post

I stand corrected... I had always been told that Enlisted could direct but not order... I was told wrong.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    I stand corrected... I had always been told that Enlisted could direct but not order... I was told wrong.
    Not a problem.

Lots of stuff gets passed along that may/may not be accurate.

I myself had to look it up to make sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stalwart, (Gunny) - my apologies, you are correct, my intent was not to disrespect your or anyone else's service. Having a Son who recently promoted to E-8 in the USA and also having served with MEU 22, I certainly am aware of the differences between services in the transition from E-6 to E-7. The CPO initiation, (induction, transition, CPO365 whatever you want to call it) process in the Navy is steeped in tradition and heritage and is without question the single greatest achievement in the professional life of a Sailor. Again, not to discount your own accomplishments, or the accomplishments of others in this forum, but the Navy puts their enlisted folks through a completely different process than each of the other services, including the folks in DHS. Thanks for your outstanding service, I am grateful for it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No worries.

You are right, each service has it's own way of growing and training senior enlisted leaders. Both CMC's on my last ship included me in some of the induction/transition/CPO365 along with the Warrants and (prior Chief) LDOs (me being the prior Marine they didn't let me lead PT more than once) and won't discount the tradition and importance of what is done there. I am a better officer (& person) based on a couple of truly outstanding Chiefs I have known along the way & my job is always easier when I have a good Chief doing what they do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm hoping that most will agree that the changes that have occurred over the last few years have not helped in the transitioning to Chief Petty Officer. Too many changes if you ask me. I was initiated in 1991. I didn't see anything wrong with the initiation process then, although there were some areas that needed to be addressed and could have been done internally (i.e., within the CPO Community) without involving the entire Navy and those on the outside to boot. And every year even more changes are made to this process. Why? Is it really necessary? I think not. And these changes are NOT being initiated from within the CPO Community; they are coming from the outside. And the MCPON is making all these changes unilaterally. He is bringing bad publicity to the CPO Community and this could all have been handled within the CPO Mess. It's almost like he is purposely calling attention to himself and the CPO Community. It's a disgrace to look at his picture on the front of Navy Times appearing to make the CPO Mess look as bad as possible; no need to be airing all this dirty linen Navy-wide. What has he done to deal directly with the CPO Mess as well as other CMC's and MCPO's and to seek out their experience and advice?? He has circumvented all the experience of the CPO Mess. Not right at all.

B. M. Burawski
    Chief Yeoman, U.S. Navy (Ret.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Burawski - agree with you 100%. Although I am not as seasoned as you, (initiated in 93); the changes are far too many. Spent 20 years on the Mess with my last 10 as a CMC. New MCPON is closely aligned with the wardroom and will bend with the wind - one of he reasons he was selected. MCPON 12 sort of got the ball rolling with flexing to the whimpering of the WR and MCPON 13 is not nearly as strong and will be even more susceptible to those whimpering's, (just look at the erosion of the Spouse Groups). Again, before MCPON 13 is done, it'll almost be a handshake and a photograph.