Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Howdy

I'm retired AF, loving every single day of being retired, and recommending to all that you don't work a day longer than is necessary for you to financially make it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I'm retired AF, loving every single day of being retired, and recommending to all that you don't work a day longer than is necessary for you to financially make it.
    Like you, I'm retired and have been for 15 years. Financially, I can make it comfortably on a retired E-8 pension and Social Security even though I live in a high cost area (San Diego). I used to counsel my troops on saving and investing their money for their retirement and even lending them literature on investing basics in mutual funds. My main point to them is by starting early they can build a good egg nest for their retirement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Like you, I'm retired and have been for 15 years. Financially, I can make it comfortably on a retired E-8 pension and Social Security even though I live in a high cost area (San Diego). I used to counsel my troops on saving and investing their money for their retirement and even lending them literature on investing basics in mutual funds. My main point to them is by starting early they can build a good egg nest for their retirement.

I never invested anything. The wife gets a little and I get what I get, so we are doing pretty nicely on around $2400 a month. Of course we couldn't have done it if we had a ton of bills, so we were lucky enough to be able to get those all payed off before retirement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Retired Maj, no kids, no debt, working wife. I kept working 60 hr workweeks in industry for a few years following retirement, then quit that life after hitting 50. Not sure I will ever work another full-time job again. Of course, with gov finances looking bleak in the years ahead, the need to work (i.e, no more pension) might change. For now, retirement life is great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never invested anything. The wife gets a little and I get what I get, so we are doing pretty nicely on around $2400 a month. Of course we couldn't have done it if we had a ton of bills, so we were lucky enough to be able to get those all payed off before retirement.
    If you're in a low cost of living area then $2400 a month is doable. When Congress opened up IRAs to the military in the mid-80s I jumped on it and and put the money in a bank IRA account paying 11%. A couple of years later I moved the money to a mutual fund and have had it there every since. I continued to invest the maximum allowable every year I worked and that built me a good nest egg. I also invested in a non-IRA mutual fund and that's built into another good nest egg.

As for bills, I only have a large mortgage but it's cheaper for me to keep it than to rent. My military pension and my Social Security checks exceeds my monthly expenses allowing me to put a couple of hundred dollars away every month. The thing I've told people for years and even today to younger members of today's military is sacrifice a little today and invest that so when you're older you won't have to work so long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Retired Maj, no kids, no debt, working wife. I kept working 60 hr workweeks in industry for a few years following retirement, then quit that life after hitting 50. Not sure I will ever work another full-time job again. Of course, with gov finances looking bleak in the years ahead, the need to work (i.e, no more pension) might change. For now, retirement life is great!
    I retired as an E-8 after 28 years and I took a job with the VA for awhile as a GS-13. I decided I didn't like the work so I quit and became a full-time retiree. I was a workaholic but I found I enjoyed retirement and have been enjoying the retired life for the past 15 years. As for government finance looking bleak, I seriously doubt any changes to our pension will happen so we can continue to look forward to continuing getting our checks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I retired as an E-8 after 28 years and I took a job with the VA for awhile as a GS-13. I decided I didn't like the work so I quit and became a full-time retiree. I was a workaholic but I found I enjoyed retirement and have been enjoying the retired life for the past 15 years. As for government finance looking bleak, I seriously doubt any changes to our pension will happen so we can continue to look forward to continuing getting our checks.
    Agree. I have zero worries about ever losing the pension. As far as monthly income, different strokes for different folks. Retired at 38, have a medium size 2 bedroom near a lake. Only bill I have, other than utilities/etc, is a small boat payment. Do a lot of fishing, relaxing, enjoying. Will never work again, full or part time. It's not worth it to me. I can't see ever voluntarily being away from my wife. More money isn't going to make us any happier than we are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    More money isn't going to make us any happier than we are.
    I walked away from a $110K per year job, which alone was more than double our current combined family income...all because I realized I wasn't happy. The key for us has always been to find the most amount of happiness for the least amount of money. Less money needed means more freedom....A LOT more freedom.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 01-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I walked away from a $110K per year job, which alone was more than double our current combined family income...all because I realized I wasn't happy. The key for us has always been to find the most amount of happiness for the least amount of money. Less money needed means more freedom....A LOT more freedom.
    Did something very similar. Couldn't agree more. I know too many people who work into their late 60s/early 70s because they are still "saving for retirement". Not my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did something very similar. Couldn't agree more. I know too many people who work into their late 60s/early 70s because they are still "saving for retirement". Not my cup of tea.
    I also knew of too many people working their asses off to earn that coveted future retirement lifestyle, only to pass away long before reaching that goal. If that's not a sobering reminder NOT to bank on making it to the magical retirement age of 65, I don't know what is.