Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career Path Change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Career Path Change

It's time. I'm at that phase in my career where, if I'm going to be doing 20+, I need to step outside my AFSC for a tour and do something.

I've talked a lot of "talk" about airmen and NCOs and standards. It's time I do some walking where the river has its source. The job I want is full of challenges: a climate of guilt before innocence, a soft-touch approach that I hate, and a relaxing of standards in the face of political correctness. I like a challenge and will conduct myself in this job in a manner befitting how the job "should" be.

I can't be an MTL because they are the NCO-equivalent of golden retrievers; nice bark and pretty to look at but abso-fucking-useless unless you want to fetch something (not that I've seen MTLs fetch anything other than 341s).

I can't be a recruiter because I am bad at selling things.

I don't want to be a PME instructor.

Tomorrow, I'll start my process towards becoming an MTI. Look for me in the Air Force Times sometime in 2014...

"Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Career Path Change

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    It's time. I'm at that phase in my career where, if I'm going to be doing 20+, I need to step outside my AFSC for a tour and do something.

I've talked a lot of "talk" about airmen and NCOs and standards. It's time I do some walking where the river has its source. The job I want is full of challenges: a climate of guilt before innocence, a soft-touch approach that I hate, and a relaxing of standards in the face of political correctness. I like a challenge and will conduct myself in this job in a manner befitting how the job "should" be.

I can't be an MTL because they are the NCO-equivalent of golden retrievers; nice bark and pretty to look at but abso-fucking-useless unless you want to fetch something (not that I've seen MTLs fetch anything other than 341s).

I can't be a recruiter because I am bad at selling things.

I don't want to be a PME instructor.

Tomorrow, I'll start my process towards becoming an MTI. Look for me in the Air Force Times sometime in 2014...

"Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review
    Good luck and thank you for your service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good choice....
    How many yrs do you have in?
    Not for sure...but I bet your a TSgt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    "Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review"
    LMFAO!!!:lmao:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Good choice....
    How many yrs do you have in?
    Not for sure...but I bet your a TSgt?
    10.5 years in, TSgt. I like my job but, as everyone already knows, the Air Force wants more from their people than just what they do in their job. It definitely is not a snap decision; I've been looking at extra duties for about two years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@BOSS302 I wish you the best of luck. Who knows we may cross paths one day if you end up here at Lackland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dont be afraid to retrain if you want to do something different. I am about to for the second time. This time for medical reason though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sir I applaud your interest in shaping tomorrows Airmen. One of my NCOs just completed a TDY down there assisting the cadre. I would highly advise you to talk to the people down there right now and find out what has been going on since the sexual scandals. The things my NCO told me he saw and the policies in place now would make me steer clear of that base and that mission for the time being.
    Strive for perfection and excellence will be tolerated.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

MTI is the only special duty you can find? You might want to talk to @Smeghead for some straight dope about it; because it doesn't sound like a very good place to be right now.

Regardless, good luck!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your choice of fields. Back in the day, and I suspect that hasn't changed, the USMC gave two choices for extra duty fields Corps wide. One either had to be a Recruiter, or a Drill Instructor. If anyone wanted to be promoted beyond a certain point, there were the aforegoing choices.