Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DoD to cut BAH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DoD to cut BAH?

As you know I am retired and when I tell my coworkers about a TV lic they look at me like I have two heads. I found my old TV lic in a box of papers and had it framned it hangs over the Bar in my basement. Its good for a laugh when others look at it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Boss302
    Too bad you do not live in Virginia. I am retiring from my post AF job in March 2013. I am then moving to my summer home and In 2014 I am going to run for congress for the 5th District in VA. This guy is beatable. I could use your vote. I have started the groundwork. My campaign slogan is threw them all out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgini...ional_district

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Pretty sure rents in the community would drop by whatever percentage BAH dropped. Funny how whenever you move somewhere, the average rent is pegged to the local BAH rate.
    True dat.. Practically every place overseas i lived at, EVERY rental agency in the local community had PRINTED OUT copies of the OHA rates for every pay grade with and without dependants, and no matter what someone else paid for the same place, your rent was always AT that limit. Heck in Bahrain, i had a English Expat who paid 300 dinar LESS than i did for the exact same place i was living in, all cause his firm's 'housing allowance' was that rate..

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    Utilities cost a lot more overseas. In the UK, I had E-ON (Electric), Anglian Water (Water), Giffords (Oil Tank), BT (Phone).

I lived by myself, changed all my bulbs in my house to CFLs, and used "Eco" mode on my dishwasher. My showers were also fitted with "Power Showers" since water pressure is different in the UK than in the US. Power Showers use less water but increase electricity consumption. My oven/range was also electric. My water heater was dual electric/oil fired but I used the "oil fire" option through the boiler because the electric costs would have been enormous.

Between paying E-ON, Anglian Water, Giffords to fill my oil tank when it got below 100 liters, and my BT phone/broadband, I never "made" money from the Utility Allowance. Yes, I could have "made money" if I wore layers in the winter in my own house, line-dried my clothes, cooked sparingly, washed everything in cold water, took cold quick showers, and whatever else money pinchers love to do. I chose instead to live comfortably and the Utility Allowance allowed me to do that in a country with notoriously-high utility prices. The Utility Allowance is not there for people to make bank. If they are, then they are sacrificing elsewhere and that's not the intent of the Utility Allowance.

Now, with Vehicle Tax (250 pounds) and TV Tax (100 pounds, I think) no longer reimbursable, that Utility Allowance is even more attractive. And COLA in regards to the UK is a joke.

Be careful what you wish for.
    You forgot one of the biggest money sinks in england. VAT. Higher than any US state's sales tax.

The first question out of the mouths of the real estate agents in the Osan AB area is, "What is your rank?" The apartments are almost all the same. American Villa. Orange Villa. Virginia Ville. Privillage. Top Gun (lol, other side past the ROKAF gate). If there is an apartment flat that has five identical apartments with two TSgts, one MSgt, a SSgt, and a 1st LT spread out amongst them, I can guarantee that each one will be paying their max cap OHA.
    And they do that even if the higher ranked people are living in SMALLER places than the others..

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    I don't think MT does any investigative journalism but it would be nice to see a piece on how rent overseas is sometimes almost double what locals pay. @CommunityEditor
    And that's different from the states how? It's not double usually but as others have noted, its funny how the rent always winds up being the BAH level.....
    For one, i have Yet to live stateside anywhere, where us military paid more than 40% more than someone else for the same place. Overseas, i have seen almost 130% more paid just cause us mil have a OHA.. a flat and constant cash source. Which is why i agree with CJsmith, that this is one thing that could definitely do with investigating.

The service member does nothing to help his or herself in many cases. How many times have you seen your co-workers fudging the OHA/COLA surveys?

"Oh I do ALLLLL my shopping at Tescos and Debenhams and my electric bill is $1,000/month!" WTF? Nice integrity, huh?
    2 of the UK commands i was at (NCTAMS london and St Mawgan actually tried getting people to submit copies OF their bills with their survey, but were told by the org that runs the survey "SORRY no dice, just go by what they say, not what is actually done"..

What really irks me through all of this is that there is SO much more wasteful spending in the military. My office will be getting a new All-in-One printer/fax/scanner/DNA sampler/samurai sword maker to replace our current printer that works just fine. This one printer is worth three months of my Utility Allowance.
    Agreed. I have been located at places that replaced every damn monitor and desktop computer every 3 years, even if the damn thing does not need it, or each and every piece of office furniture every 2 years... Heck, one command i was at, TOSSED out over 80 boxes of printer ink, cause the command had stockpiled them, but then bought NEW printers with end of year funds, so the stockpile was now useless (though they at least allowed anyone who owned a printer that needed that ink to take it for themselves)..

Quote Originally Posted by AFcynic View Post
    The DoD is looking at ways to cut spending in any way possible. The proposed BAH decrease is just the beginning. They will eventually force AD retirement checks to go the way of the Guard/Reserve - see you at 60 years old. Tuition assistance will decrease to 50-75%, Tricare will begin co-pays for folks that don't use the clinic, and I can see them ending the combat zone tax exclusion.
    Then cut the # of generals, admirals etc.. AND THEIR STAFF!

Quote Originally Posted by coloringoutsidethelines View Post
    They can gladly look at docking me out of 20% when the Senate/Congress docks their pay and when we start making people on welfare earn their check. I'm sick of this cost cutting being on the back of the defense industry.
    Agreed. Heck i would love to see members of congress live ON a military member's pay check (inc all our allowances)..
    THEN see how quickly they are to cut it!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Just because someone has a 5 series doesnt mean they are dropping COLA on it. Unless you know everyone's situation you shouldnt comment on it. I would say more people than not get some kick back from their parents. Also many people do get money from deployments etc. I can without a doubt tell you that after I was in the UK for a year I did not shop at the commissary at all. I did all my shopping at Sainsbury's. My winter energy bill was around 500GBP for a two bedroom and two and a half people. A family of four with the spouse at home all day long could approach that price. Doesnt apply to everyone but its not that far off.
    While i will agree, not everyone is that way, i know several people who milked the system for OHA, cola, and AIP (assignment insentive pay) while at the same time using the option of OSEIP for cash, who after finally being forced to leave that place, were able to buy houses FULL OUT with cash. Or in one case a Lambourgini all in cash.

Known of too many examples of this, to include close friends of mine. If it never happened I would not have made that comment. Alas, it does happen and it happens quite frequently. If it touched a nerve with you, I hope it wasn't too bad. Obviously I did not intend to convey that every single service member in Europe uses COLA/UA to buy BMWs...

I too shopped off-base; it cost more but I think the quality of groceries in Europe far exceeds that of the US. I love the UK's free-range eggs, milks, cheeses, and butcher shops. Even UK "junk food" tastes far superior to US junk food - Walker's Crisps are so good. It did cost more than the commissary but not by all that much.
    Plus there are just some meals/food you can't get in the commissary that i like.. Cornish pasties, sausage rolls...

Quote Originally Posted by RetC141BFCC View Post
    As you know I am retired and when I tell my coworkers about a TV lic they look at me like I have two heads. I found my old TV lic in a box of papers and had it framned it hangs over the Bar in my basement. Its good for a laugh when others look at it
    I don't know what its like now, but both times i was stationed there, there was part of the TV license law that stated if your US tv was configured to where it could NOT receive terrestrial BBC/ITV programming (IE was hooked up to AFN or just a VCR/DVD player) you did not have to get a license..