Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DoD to cut BAH?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

DoD to cut BAH?

DoD is looking at cutting BAH rates.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...scale-back-BAH

If you've never considered joining AFSA, this is yet another reason to do so. AFSA is the only voice on Capitol Hill speaking for the Air Force Enlisted Corps.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DoD to cut BAH?

Won't happen. Too much involved with privatized housing. i.e. too many hands in too many pockets.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    Won't happen. Too much involved with privatized housing. i.e. too many hands in too many pockets.
    Exactly right. More sky is falling / Washington Monument Syndrome.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This would suck literally for everyone that gets BAH for those on Active Duty and those like myself who are taking advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I like getting my big extra check a month for BAH.

Now I just got to wait on the VA to process my claim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't know. It took us 10 years from when I joined up to get them o pay 100%. Either give me 100% or start building apartment blocks on base for single NCOs and above.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I don't know. It took us 10 years from when I joined up to get them o pay 100%. Either give me 100% or start building apartment blocks on base for single NCOs and above.
    Not sure about stateside, but some overseas bases already started doing that. When I was leaving Turkey in 2009, one of my co-workers was going to Japan and he was told that it was mandatory for single NCOs to live on base. I think Belgium is going that way too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Pretty sure rents in the community would drop by whatever percentage BAH dropped. Funny how whenever you move somewhere, the average rent is pegged to the local BAH rate.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Pretty sure rents in the community would drop by whatever percentage BAH dropped. Funny how whenever you move somewhere, the average rent is pegged to the local BAH rate.
    It's EXACTLY that way here in beautiful Clovis, NM. It's ridiculous. I've seen people try to rent out third wheel trailers for $800 (BAH for a single E-5). I don't know about the rent dropping too much in response to a BAH decrease. The realtors here would probably just expect single people to get roommates or spouses to get jobs. Once they got used to the cash cow, I doubt they'd want to go back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
    Not sure about stateside, but some overseas bases already started doing that. When I was leaving Turkey in 2009, one of my co-workers was going to Japan and he was told that it was mandatory for single NCOs to live on base. I think Belgium is going that way too.
    Japan I can answer for. It's because the Japanese government built them for us.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are better ways to cut the amount of BAH spent. Make state side rules similar to overseas....if people share, their BAH is cut. Also do away with dual military getting 2 BAH payments. Just my 2 cents.