Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DoD to cut BAH?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: DoD to cut BAH?

BAH stateside is set by a survey conducted near each base, so it is natural that BAH is near the amount of rent. BAH is not set to pay 100% of your costs, but merely to "offset" your costs. OHA and the various overseas allowances are computed differently and are set to pay 100%. This is because of the limited places/commute where you can live (we all know this is not exactly true...but), as opposed to CONUS where you can live pretty much anywhere you want.
    DoD considers enlisted to be renters (apartment/condo) up till the rank of MSgt (I read that fact somewhere, but can't remember where), while officers are considered to be home owners starting at Captain, hence the differing BAH amounts.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All single members should live in dorms. All married members should be able to buy a house and have it paid in full (up to $300,000) by the gov. Mil-mil married couples just get one house. There, problem solved. Thread :closed_2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Several years ago BAH actually went down at the location I was at. Those of who had been there of course were grandfathered and didn't get a decrease. However, you can bet my landlord tried to raise my rent. I explained and showed him BAH did not increase and he left my rent at the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    Now we can close the thread. LOLOL!!!

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That guy reminds me of the Lorax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Several years ago BAH actually went down at the location I was at. Those of who had been there of course were grandfathered and didn't get a decrease. However, you can bet my landlord tried to raise my rent. I explained and showed him BAH did not increase and he left my rent at the same.
    No sh!t! I haven't gotten a BAH increase since 2007 and I've gotten promoted! My BAH has a TSgt in 2007 is higher than my BAH as a Master today. Meanwhile, every single utility has increased by a few percent. Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The way I see this is not going to be popular. The current downsizing of the Armed Forces is hurting the readiness of the Armed Forces. The non flight status of many of the AF aereoplanes is hurting the readiness, globally.

Yes, I see that drones are cheaper, and more expendable, leading to less mission hours for bombers and recon aircraft.

However, the dropping to possibly 150,000 for the Marine Corps, the Army losing people hand over fist assuredly cuts down on the operational strength of the deployable troops.

To cut back on BAH for single individuals could be saving the entire armed forces from cutting out some of the troops being cut from the fold.

I do realize that cutting the BAH is going to be painful. However, with the sizeable increase in pay to the armed forces during the previous years, those increases could maybe be used to get a house offbase.

Before anyone starts sniping at me, I do remember receiving, when I first entered the Marines, $62 per payday. That was less than any kind of housing, offbase. Back then, one had to be frugal to survive, even if they were living on base. Going to get a haircut, and to have the uniforms washed and starched had to be figured in, before even thinking of owning a car, with the insurance. Gas prices were pretty low back then, but that was part of the equation.

To live offbase, even with BAS and BAQ, was pretty dicy, at best.

I do believe that y'all have to think about the good of the services, including the AF. What good would anyone of you be to the defense of the USA and it's Constitution, if everyone were to think, "I don't care if were are operational at all, as long as i can get every single penny out of the government that it owes me."

The Age of Entitlement for the Armed Forces is ending.

Or think of it this way. Would you rather be dropped out of the AF, in the reverse move of stop gap, or will you accept that the goverment's "Here! Plenty of money! Stay in so we can be big and bad," has ended?

I know. I'd be plenty mad if this happened to me during my career. I do remember the old style way of allowing E6s and above to live in base housing on Parris Island, SC. A lot of the E6s were Drill Instructors, out there. They had to live in shabby single wide trailers that were manufactured in the stone age. They still, if living in base housing, have to live in those terrible conditions. At least they were, during my last visit to PI, a couple of years ago.

I also remember from the mid '70s, when the Armed Forces were being reduced in size, having to live off of Parris Island in a pretty danged nasty domicile, off of my base pay, with another DI, to help defray the cost.

It looks like it going to be the '70s, revisited. I know how badly this can feel. Believe me. The money for everything is now in a tight squeeze. Buck up, me hearties. It will get better, later on. Right now, the heavy handed cutting of everything by the Armed Forces is nothing new. It is cyclic. What goes around comes around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the biggest problems in regards to BAH/OHA and Utility Allowances/COLA is that a lot of service members think it is there to help them live like the Kardashians. They think it's there to help them make payments on that BMW 5-Series that they bought from BMW Military Sales in Kaiserslauten. Obviously, it is not. It's there to help service members maintain a standard of living that is comparable to a comfortable standard of living enjoyed by their host nation counterparts. The US Air Force and other services don't want their service members living in squalor on the economy.

The service member does nothing to help his or herself in many cases. How many times have you seen your co-workers fudging the OHA/COLA surveys?

"Oh I do ALLLLL my shopping at Tescos and Debenhams and my electric bill is $1,000/month!" WTF? Nice integrity, huh? Luckily I think the bean counters and powers that be see through a lot of the BS in those surveys and keep money realistic. Thus why many are pissy about COLA and OHA rates...they're not getting that artificial inflation they want so they can get that BMW 7-Series or that 27-in iMac or 70" LED TV.

What really irks me through all of this is that there is SO much more wasteful spending in the military. My office will be getting a new All-in-One printer/fax/scanner/DNA sampler/samurai sword maker to replace our current printer that works just fine. This one printer is worth three months of my Utility Allowance.

And they want to focus on the allowances that the rank & file get?

They can fuck off out of here. I've already renewed my AFSA membership and written to my Senators. Everyone else should do the same if you're serious about protecting benefits from the money vampires that want to reach into your pockets to pay for the next overpriced/over budget/under performing product from Military Industries, Inc.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The DoD is looking at ways to cut spending in any way possible. The proposed BAH decrease is just the beginning. They will eventually force AD retirement checks to go the way of the Guard/Reserve - see you at 60 years old. Tuition assistance will decrease to 50-75%, Tricare will begin co-pays for folks that don't use the clinic, and I can see them ending the combat zone tax exclusion.

The DoD isn't going to cut their pet programs, and the military industrial complex isn't going away any time soon. It's easier to cut people than it is to cut the 22, or the 35, or the new BMT campuses on Lackland.