Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DoD to cut BAH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DoD to cut BAH?

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    I would also look into the utility allowance too...you get the equivilant of $600-$900 a month for utilities. WHAT????
    Utilities cost a lot more overseas. In the UK, I had E-ON (Electric), Anglian Water (Water), Giffords (Oil Tank), BT (Phone).

I lived by myself, changed all my bulbs in my house to CFLs, and used "Eco" mode on my dishwasher. My showers were also fitted with "Power Showers" since water pressure is different in the UK than in the US. Power Showers use less water but increase electricity consumption. My oven/range was also electric. My water heater was dual electric/oil fired but I used the "oil fire" option through the boiler because the electric costs would have been enormous.

Between paying E-ON, Anglian Water, Giffords to fill my oil tank when it got below 100 liters, and my BT phone/broadband, I never "made" money from the Utility Allowance. Yes, I could have "made money" if I wore layers in the winter in my own house, line-dried my clothes, cooked sparingly, washed everything in cold water, took cold quick showers, and whatever else money pinchers love to do. I chose instead to live comfortably and the Utility Allowance allowed me to do that in a country with notoriously-high utility prices. The Utility Allowance is not there for people to make bank. If they are, then they are sacrificing elsewhere and that's not the intent of the Utility Allowance.

Now, with Vehicle Tax (250 pounds) and TV Tax (100 pounds, I think) no longer reimbursable, that Utility Allowance is even more attractive. And COLA in regards to the UK is a joke.

Be careful what you wish for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/ohaCalc.cfm

Location code DE700 for a MSgt No Dependants equals $705.16 as of the 1 Aug 2013 period.
    And go research the costs of utilities in Japan. It's an island nation with almost no energy-producing natural resources of its own. They went to war in the Pacific simply because they were so depressed when it came to natural resources (and the U.S./U.K. embargoes crunched them even worse). Their prices are worse than the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    And go research the costs of utilities in Japan. It's an island nation with almost no energy-producing natural resources of its own. They went to war in the Pacific simply because they were so depressed when it came to natural resources (and the U.S./U.K. embargoes crunched them even worse). Their prices are worse than the UK.
    Yep, lived both at Yokota and Kadena. My good friend was dating a local and she was floored what we paid in rent. At least with utilities it's what they charge everyone living in the area, although I'm sure we drive that price up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, lived both at Yokota and Kadena. My good friend was dating a local and she was floored what we paid in rent. At least with utilities it's what they charge everyone living in the area, although I'm sure we drive that price up a bit.
    Had a close friend separate while over there. Went to his landlord and said he would need to cancel due to not being able to pay what he was currently paying. Landlord dropped his price in half on the spot to keep him in the house. There are a lot of people over there getting rich.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    Had a close friend separate while over there. Went to his landlord and said he would need to cancel due to not being able to pay what he was currently paying. Landlord dropped his price in half on the spot to keep him in the house. There are a lot of people over there getting rich.
    The first question out of the mouths of the real estate agents in the Osan AB area is, "What is your rank?" The apartments are almost all the same. American Villa. Orange Villa. Virginia Ville. Privillage. Top Gun (lol, other side past the ROKAF gate). If there is an apartment flat that has five identical apartments with two TSgts, one MSgt, a SSgt, and a 1st LT spread out amongst them, I can guarantee that each one will be paying their max cap OHA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    The first question out of the mouths of the real estate agents in the Osan AB area is, "What is your rank?" The apartments are almost all the same. American Villa. Orange Villa. Virginia Ville. Privillage. Top Gun (lol, other side past the ROKAF gate). If there is an apartment flat that has five identical apartments with two TSgts, one MSgt, a SSgt, and a 1st LT spread out amongst them, I can guarantee that each one will be paying their max cap OHA.
    I have a TSgt here that pays max for a 3 bedroom place all to himself and there was another TSgt that paid max for a 1 bedroom place.

When I was in Germany I made bank on COLA and utilities. I think I paid for garbage and that was it yet I was athorized full utilities allowance. It was awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think MT does any investigative journalism but it would be nice to see a piece on how rent overseas is sometimes almost double what locals pay. @CommunityEditor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/ohaCalc.cfm

Location code DE700 for a MSgt No Dependants equals $705.16 as of the 1 Aug 2013 period.
    Wow, it's really gone up then. In any event, those rates are based on surveys done by members for a year long period. I've sat many a time at the computer with a stack of receipts calculating what I spent on utilities. As others have noted, be careful what you wish for because you will wind up sticking people with large bills if you cut too much.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't think MT does any investigative journalism but it would be nice to see a piece on how rent overseas is sometimes almost double what locals pay. @CommunityEditor
    And that's different from the states how? It's not double usually but as others have noted, its funny how the rent always winds up being the BAH level.....
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    And that's different from the states how? It's not double usually but as others have noted, its funny how the rent always winds up being the BAH level.....
    Don't know how it's different in the states. I've only had two assignments CONUS, one in the dorms and the other I bought a home. Where I bought a home the rent wasn't all that much off since the area didn't solely depend on military.

With my three OCONUS assignments; we most certainly pay a ton more than the locals. Here in Germany, in some cases it is double. One guy a cubicle over from me lives in a duplex. His German neighbor in the other half of the duplex pays half as much rent.