Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DoD to cut BAH?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: DoD to cut BAH?

There is some disparity in the BAH rates...
    With dependent rates at my current location MSgt: $1386 vs Maj: $1746 SSgt: $1119 vs 1Lt: $1137
    I picked those for comparison as both would typically be fairly even age-wise, TIS-wise, and family size-wise (obviously there are exceptions to all three).
    Why would a Major with 15 yrs TIS receive nearly $400 more a month for housing allowance than the MSgt with similar TIS while the 1Lt and SSgt (in my example 5 yrs TIS) receive basically the same?

I would be you all a box of Hostess Twinkies that every benefit we have, from monthly pay, BAS (while deployed), HDP, FSA, DLA, you name it is under the microscope. And the folks peering into the eyepiece have virtually no idea what it's like to be in uniform. Like I said in the OP, if you're not an AFSA member you're not being represented on Capitol Hill. And if you think I'm being a little dramatic, ask the retirees who will no longer be seen by on base doctors, or the retirees who saw free health care for life go the wayside. Yes, there is waste...even in our benefit programs. But, we need to cut the waste, not just hack away blindly.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wtrwlkr View Post
    It's EXACTLY that way here in beautiful Clovis, NM. It's ridiculous. I've seen people try to rent out third wheel trailers for $800 (BAH for a single E-5). I don't know about the rent dropping too much in response to a BAH decrease. The realtors here would probably just expect single people to get roommates or spouses to get jobs. Once they got used to the cash cow, I doubt they'd want to go back.
    This is true in rural areas or places where the base/post is the main gig in town, but other places not so much.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wtrwlkr View Post
    It's EXACTLY that way here in beautiful Clovis, NM. It's ridiculous. I've seen people try to rent out third wheel trailers for $800 (BAH for a single E-5). I don't know about the rent dropping too much in response to a BAH decrease. The realtors here would probably just expect single people to get roommates or spouses to get jobs. Once they got used to the cash cow, I doubt they'd want to go back.
    Third wheel trailers to live in? Aren't those motorcycle trailers?

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I may have used the wrong term, but I basically mean the motorhome-like trailers you pull behind a pickup truck,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We just got a BAH raise in this last update...what does this town do? Jack utility rates up 10%. The local civilian population has the option to go on average monthly billing, military isn't allowed. So my BAH and then some is already being used up. It's going to be a huge pain in the ass if they lower it back again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe it's wrong to take money from you guys. Slow pay raises...yes. But don't take money you've already budgeted. It's totally wrong.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OHA needs to be looked at for sure. While I don't agree cutting BAH in the states, OHA is pure madness. Here in a country that was defeated 70 years ago the locals are charging 'Muricans an exorbitant amount of money no other local would pay. It's effing nuts. Want to skin the budget a little? Peer into OHA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    OHA needs to be looked at for sure. While I don't agree cutting BAH in the states, OHA is pure madness. Here in a country that was defeated 70 years ago the locals are charging 'Muricans an exorbitant amount of money no other local would pay. It's effing nuts. Want to skin the budget a little? Peer into OHA!
    I would also look into the utility allowance too...you get the equivilant of $600-$900 a month for utilities. WHAT????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StandardsAMust View Post
    I would also look into the utility allowance too...you get the equivilant of $600-$900 a month for utilities. WHAT????
    Where at? 15 years overseas and the max I ever got for utilities was around $500 in Japan.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Where at? 15 years overseas and the max I ever got for utilities was around $500 in Japan.
    http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/ohaCalc.cfm

Location code DE700 for a MSgt No Dependants equals $705.16 as of the 1 Aug 2013 period.