Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal appeals court rules Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Federal appeals court rules Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,4385237.story

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. appeals court in Boston became the first such court to strike down as unconstitutional the federal Defense of Marriage Act, ruling Thursday that it unfairly denies equal benefits to legally married same-sex couples.

The ruling is a victory for gay-rights advocates and the Obama administration, which had refused to defend that part of the 1996 law.

--------

Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Federal appeals court rules Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional

I'm a little hesitant to go along with the notion that Section 3 of the DOMA is technically unconstitutional, but I think going after that portion of the statute is a step in the right direction. If we broaden the Federal definition of marriage to put every single Massachusetts State Marriage License on equal footing with ever single Mississippi Marriage License, it's definitely a better solution than is the status quo.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About time this happened. I'm almost tempted to go to church this Sunday and have a private laugh at the pastor screaming about the sky falling (He will too).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad the first steps are being taken to ensure equal rights and treatments are being applied to same sex couples. Our country is suppose to be life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It does not say life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, unless you're gay. There is no good legal reason why we should not recognize and give benefits to same-sex couples. If the argument is that the Bibles say it's wrong, you have to remember, we have separation between church and state. Therefore, our laws cannot be based on religion. Besides, our country has no national religion. if you start trying to pass laws based on religion, which religion do we base our laws on? Muslims, Orthodox, Christianity, Jewish, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    About time this happened. I'm almost tempted to go to church this Sunday and have a private laugh at the pastor screaming about the sky falling (He will too).
    You might be surprised in some cases. Two weeks ago at the church I attend the pastor came to the defense of Obama when the whole "First Gay President" stuff was big in the news. Although, I will admit, this pastor is probably more similar than not to Jeremiah Wright than anything else. I go anyway, the Baptist churches that started out as Southern Black Baptist churches have so much more energy!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    You might be surprised in some cases. Two weeks ago at the church I attend the pastor came to the defense of Obama when the whole "First Gay President" stuff was big in the news. Although, I will admit, this pastor is probably more similar than not to Jeremiah Wright than anything else. I go anyway, the Baptist churches that started out as Southern Black Baptist churches have so much more energy!
    No, not mine. Mine is crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, not mine. Mine is crazy.
    I wasn't aware you still did go to one!

James Madison

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    I wasn't aware you still did go to one!
    Sometimes I go with the family. Usually not though. Especially after the sermon about seal team six. I face palmed in that one. Not to say I'm a pacifist or anything, but me going up to the pulpit and gloating about how many confirmed kills I got would be a strange topic for a Christian service, so gloating about seal team six just gave me strange vibes.

Not that I actually have any confirmed kills to gloat about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes I go with the family. Usually not though. Especially after the sermon about seal team six. I face palmed in that one. Not to say I'm a pacifist or anything, but me going up to the pulpit and gloating about how many confirmed kills I got would be a strange topic for a Christian service, so gloating about seal team six just gave me strange vibes.

Not that I actually have any confirmed kills to gloat about.
    That is a little off for me as well. I take it the family is a bit more into it (feel free to mind my own beeswax if it gets uncomfortable) than yourself? One thing that I find personally compelling is how common it is among those who choose not to believe have the Christian religion in their personal histories. I think it's no accident that Christian churches seems to be the world's most prominent Atheist production factories.

James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Supreme Court ruled such rules are unConstitutional...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...act-provision/
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings