Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cross Fit and Safety

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: Cross Fit and Safety

Quote Originally Posted by AFbiatch View Post
    Crossfit is going to be around for a long time. Every year it is getting bigger and bigger, they have a crossfit games annually, something you do not get with insanity or P90X. .
    I have watched the Crossfit games and some of those competitions look tough as heck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I saw this article which reminded me of it.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Post above wouldn't let me edit or delete it, here's another try to post the story link.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thread is jacked up... add http and www to the below.

.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/17/the-horrifying-moment-a-man-snaps-his-spine-while-lifting-weights/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Found this old thread ... serious necro here.

I have been doing CrossFit for almost 2 years now and a couple of different CrossFit gyms.

Concur that trying to co-opt a normal gym to do a workout isn't really great logistically:

-WOD takes up multiple pieces of equipment at once
    -CrossFitters moving quickly / weaving in and out of regular patrons to get to the next exercise.

That said, it is a really good workout and I have seen some significant strength gains which at 46 I didn't expect. Having a good coach (not a random PTL who isn't certified) is key. Knowing what to and when to scale (reduce reps or do an alternate) gets more important as you get older. I know I can crush a leg workout, but if I won't be able to workout for 2-3 days after because I am so sore ... that is useless.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

I have been doing CrossFit for almost 2 years now and a couple of different CrossFit gyms.

Concur that trying to co-opt a normal gym to do a workout isn't really great logistically:

-CrossFitters moving quickly / weaving in and out of regular patrons to get to the next exercise.

That said, it is a really good workout and I have seen some significant strength gains which at 46 I didn't expect. Having a good coach (not a random PTL who isn't certified) is key. Knowing what to and when to scale (reduce reps or do an alternate) gets more important as you get older. I know I can crush a leg workout, but if I won't be able to workout for 2-3 days after because I am so sore ... that is useless.
    I posted about this being a fad back in 2013, but admittedly a fad wouldn't last this long. I'm still no fan of CF, but it sounds like you've approached it smartly to avoid hurting yourself, and to do it for the right reasons. Where I live outside of Philly there are a lot of Crossfit gyms (sorry, BOXES, whatever?).

What I don't see, EVER, is anyone over the age of 50 doing crossfit. Instead, I see the 50+ crowd walking, running, lifting weights, etc. Just my opinion, but I just see CF as a little (ok, a lot) over the top and unnecessary. I'm also convinced that many, if not most of the 20-30 crowd who participate are not really doing it for actual long term fitness, but rather EGO driven purposes...to 'look' good to those they wish to sexually attract. Oh, and I've never had to ask someone if they're into CF, as they're the first to bring up the subject...as if physical exercise somehow ranks #1 over other equally important 'fitness' areas (i.e., mental, emotional, spiritual, etc).

Overall, when I see a group of CF's together I just shake my head thinking, "you fools are convinced you are going to live forever, but one day you'll look back and laugh at yourself for unnecessarily jumping/tumbling around the gym or some parking lot like total ass-clowns."
    Last edited by FLAPS; 03-06-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's like any workout, whether it's Cross Fit, Boot Camp, Body Pump, Pilates, P90X, or simply doing the treadmill, walking, and hitting the weight benches. If you do it consistently, it's going to work.

What I've found now is that doing stuff that keeps me flexible. Like you, and most people our age and older, the main problem is recovery. If I overdo it, it's 2-3 (or 5-6, lol) days where I'm unable to do anything because I need more recovery time. I know that in 10-15 years, the weights are going to be much more difficult to maintain. So I've been focusing much more on cardio and flexibility. Nothing special. No Yoga or anything (though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea), just about 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of serious stretching, at least 3-4 times a week. Don't have nearly the body aches and crap the I had when I was forced to follow unqualified, untrained PTLs doing the workout of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My gym (Box) in MD (currently in VA during the week) has plenty of 50+ folks doing CrossFit. Many do the prescribed workouts, some scale. Most of the ones who are not scaling are not new to exercise whereas most of those who scale have just in the last few years become interested in fitness.

I have been doing exercise pretty consistently for 27+ years ... and think some of my ability to stay in shape is just that I am so conditioned to exercise consistently. Even if I feel tired, I will work out ... it is a part of my routine at this point; I built the foundation of that (had it built for me?) in my 20s, into my 30s and 40s ... it is what I consider 'normal'. Changing / starting that routine in your 40s / 50s I think would be really hard.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My gym (Box) in MD (currently in VA during the week) has plenty of 50+ folks doing CrossFit. Many do the prescribed workouts, some scale. Most of the ones who are not scaling are not new to exercise whereas most of those who scale have just in the last few years become interested in fitness.

I have been doing exercise pretty consistently for 27+ years ... and think some of my ability to stay in shape is just that I am so conditioned to exercise consistently. Even if I feel tired, I will work out ... it is a part of my routine at this point; I built the foundation of that (had it built for me?) in my 20s, into my 30s and 40s ... it is what I consider 'normal'. Changing / starting that routine in your 40s / 50s I think would be really hard.

That's great it works for you. I've been a traditional weight lifter, road/mountainbiker and runner for my entire adult life. I see older folks going through some of the CF routines, but never in a larger group. It's always the 20-30 yr olds who appear to be overworking their bodies. I've also worked with some diehard CF types who've explained to me how 'intense' their workouts are EVERY DAY. I just can't see that as sustainable, nor very forgiving towards their future 50-60 yr old bodies. In my opinion, while exercise consistency is what really matters, it doesn't require a huge variety of strength and cardio exercises. Just pick a few core exercises and you're good to go.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I think it's like any workout, whether it's Cross Fit, Boot Camp, Body Pump, Pilates, P90X, or simply doing the treadmill, walking, and hitting the weight benches. If you do it consistently, it's going to work.

What I've found now is that doing stuff that keeps me flexible. Like you, and most people our age and older, the main problem is recovery. If I overdo it, it's 2-3 (or 5-6, lol) days where I'm unable to do anything because I need more recovery time. I know that in 10-15 years, the weights are going to be much more difficult to maintain. So I've been focusing much more on cardio and flexibility. Nothing special. No Yoga or anything (though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea), just about 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of serious stretching, at least 3-4 times a week. Don't have nearly the body aches and crap the I had when I was forced to follow unqualified, untrained PTLs doing the workout of the week.
    I'd recommend checking out the Wim Hoff method. It does wonders for the inflammation.....You could just strip down to your skivvies and jump into the snowbank in the middle of your driveway, between episodes of Game of thrones.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 03-07-2019 at 04:15 AM.