Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Fit and Safety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Cross Fit and Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Is eastbound and down softball lingo? I'm asking a serious question this time!
    It was a show on HBO about a relief MLB pitcher played by Danny McBride. Pretty raunchy but pretty awesome.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    It was a show on HBO about a relief MLB pitcher played by Danny McBride. Pretty raunchy but pretty awesome.
    Thanks! I really thought Juggs was talking about Smokey and the Bandit.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Same here. The sound track song for that film had those lyrics.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It is perhaps one of the more sinister earwig songs of all time.

Speaking of cross fit and circuit training, wouldn’t it be a laugh riot to put in some really chaotic banjo music while they cross fitters are doing their routine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    I almost hit a CrossFitter while riding my bicycle last year at Osan. The CrossFitters have different class periods and one of their periods was during our squadron morning PT. I'm riding normally towards the gym down from that road that runs between the BX and Bldg. 949. As I'm coming into the gym parking lot, a CrossFitter comes sprinting from that little alley carrying two kettle bells. I had to lock-up and almost ate the road in order to avoid hitting him.

And this asshole has the nerve to turn around while still running and yell, "You better watch it!".

A revenge of sorts was had many months later when a group of evening CrossFitters had taken over half of the weight room benches and all of the power racks/squat racks in order to do some screwy circuit exercises. Mind you, Osan has its own dedicated CrossFit room AND the exercises they were doing made absolutely zero use of what the bench press benches and racks are designed for. After a few of us had asked them to stop and got no where, we did the next best thing.

We tattled on them to the gym staff.

They gave the little hottie A1C who was working the front desk a bunch of lip and then just ignored her. When she left and came back with a black MSgt who looked like he could bench press everyone in that room at the same time, they quietly packed their shit and went back to their CrossFit room.

I like CrossFit. I do not like CrossFitters.

I have always said it this way, Crossfitters are the hipsters of the workout world. They are incredibly snarky, spend a lot on clothing that says Crossfit on it, and walk around in their 5 finger shoes, talking about Crossfit to anyone who will listen. To them, everyone who does not do Crossfit is inferior. That comment about them taking up an entire gym is perfectly correct. While last deployed there was this one SF female that would work out in neon headband, high socks and workout gear, and would set up at least 7 stations just for her, and if you got anywhere near them she would flip out. It got to the point where we would do it just to rile her up. Their douchebaggery is almost on the level of the bros that just pose by the mirrors for an hour, drinking their pre workout drinks. That being said, I have some good friends that do both and don't think that much less of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaze View Post
    I have always said it this way, Crossfitters are the hipsters of the workout world. They are incredibly snarky, spend a lot on clothing that says Crossfit on it, and walk around in their 5 finger shoes, talking about Crossfit to anyone who will listen. To them, everyone who does not do Crossfit is inferior. That comment about them taking up an entire gym is perfectly correct. While last deployed there was this one SF female that would work out in neon headband, high socks and workout gear, and would set up at least 7 stations just for her, and if you got anywhere near them she would flip out. It got to the point where we would do it just to rile her up. Their douchebaggery is almost on the level of the bros that just pose by the mirrors for an hour, drinking their pre workout drinks. That being said, I have some good friends that do both and don't think that much less of them
    I can put on a pair of old shorts and a white t-shirt with my regular workout shoes, go in the backyard or to the field at the track, and do my own CrossFit style workouts FOR FREE. I never understood why people will spend hundreds of dollars on workout gear, memberships, and supplements.

$90.00 at GNC for some ON Hydro Whey or $15 for a week's worth of tuna packets, eggs you can hard-boil, veggies, and water from the tap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaze View Post
    Jealousy isn't a good scent on you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I wonder how long this cross-fit fad thingy will last.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I wonder how long this cross-fit fad thingy will last.
    It is actually a damn good work out even though I've been ragging on it. It just gets so damn disruptive and isn't very safe when done in large groups in a small space.

Civilian gyms are even worse when you add the aspect of guys and girls trying to impress each other.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    It is actually a damn good work out even though I've been ragging on it. It just gets so damn disruptive and isn't very safe when done in large groups in a small space.

Civilian gyms are even worse when you add the aspect of guys and girls trying to impress each other.
    I've heard great things about crossfit. Fact remains, the ONLY exercises that have ever survived the test of time are your basic weight training, cardio machines, running, walking, biking, swimming, and maybe even spinning. Everything else, including Cross-fit, Insanity, PX90, that Zumba silliness, etc will fade away and be replaced by something else...all in due time.