Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "I'd Have a Beer With Him"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "I'd Have a Beer With Him"

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Being one of those with a "celery stick personality", I will admit my bias and say that sometimes it seems that "the boys club" is how the military really works. However, thinking about it objectively, I never really got "held back" by not being one of those charismatic types, "have a beer with 'em" kind of guys.

In my experience, the "have a beer" types fell into 2 groups...those with ethics and those without. It was the ones without that chapped my ass. They always had an angle, a play, a hip-pocket card, or a relationship to "work" and keep themselves on top, even when they didn't deserve or earn it. They were also the people that I did everything in my power to steer clear of, because they would've screwed me over given the chance.

It always seemed to me that if they put half the effort into actually doing their job as they did "working the system" they would have been far better off.
    As a supervisor, in and out of the service, I would sit down with the non-performer, and try to reason with them on how this type of attitude causes them negative consequences in the long run instead of a short term benefit. I would ask the person if they could keep track of the time, and energy, of avoiding their responsibilities, and, instead, convert those efforts to a positive performance they would not have to expend as much physical, and mental energies.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Being one of those with a "celery stick personality", I will admit my bias and say that sometimes it seems that "the boys club" is how the military really works. However, thinking about it objectively, I never really got "held back" by not being one of those charismatic types, "have a beer with 'em" kind of guys.

In my experience, the "have a beer" types fell into 2 groups...those with ethics and those without. It was the ones without that chapped my ass. They always had an angle, a play, a hip-pocket card, or a relationship to "work" and keep themselves on top, even when they didn't deserve or earn it. They were also the people that I did everything in my power to steer clear of, because they would've screwed me over given the chance.

It always seemed to me that if they put half the effort into actually doing their job as they did "working the system" they would have been far better off.
    While I can see people playing to their strengths, I have to agree that knowing your job backwards and forwards puts you on solid ground. Relying solely on being a bake sale diva is shaky to say the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    While I can see people playing to their strengths, I have to agree that knowing your job backwards and forwards puts you on solid ground. Relying solely on being a bake sale diva is shaky to say the least.
    You would think so, but it sure does seem like the bake sale divas trump the technical gurus, 9/10.