Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 238

Thread: Political Correctness is Good

  1. #1
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Political Correctness is Good

    I have grown more than tired of hearing how Political Correctness has destroyed our society.

    I am under the impression that if anything is ruining our society, it is knee jerk responses and shallow uninformed opinions.

    Political Correctness is merely being polite and considerate; it may cause you to self censor, but shouldn't you be willing to do that for the people in your duty section?

    We might have freedom speech in this great nation, but we have never had freedom of consequence.

    Being politically correct creates harmony in a duty section, it doesn't rob anyone of freedom.

    Being polite and respectful to people of a different ethnicity, gender, sexuality shouldn't be seen as a burden. These are the people you not only work with, but when we deploy, they are the people you fight and die beside.

    Every culture is proud of their heritage, traditions, music, and food. When a group wants to celebrate their culture with a special event, you should respect their right to do so; after all, they are your brothers and sisters at arms.

    Yes, that also includes your gay & lesbian brothers and sisters. Their group is the newest to be welcomed openly in to our military culture, but they have always been there.

    Being polite and respectful, isn't a burden, it is just the right thing to do.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There you go! I also notice that all these people, you know, who "are not afraid to tell the truth" only have such courage from a recording studio in the case of radio talk show host, or on the internet... MTF, for example.

    In real life? I bet they're just as courteous as the next guy.

    Hell, if I was in the Air Force... someone like Rainmaker could be that very co-worker that's totally cordial to me at work, and I wouldn't suspect a thing. And that's usually how it is. Those things that are said on the internet, I never see being said in real life. The only people who can be saying those things on the internet, are the people who smile in your face in real life.

    And that's a bad thing. Because you never know who's who.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #3
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I am under the impression that if anything is ruining our society, it is knee jerk responses and shallow uninformed opinions.
    +1

    Political Correctness is merely being polite and considerate; it may cause you to self censor, but shouldn't you be willing to do that for the people in your duty section?
    I've never heard it put that way before.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BENDER56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the beach, out of reach
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    And that's a bad thing. Because you never know who's who.
    I don't believe it is possible for one human being to truly know any other human being, ever. I don't think that is a bad thing, it merely is what it is. In fact, most of us don't really understand what we truly "know" and what we don't.

    Yet lots of people blithely go around spewing that they "know" all kinds of stuff they cannot possibly know.

    They "know" OJ did it. They "know" Obama's a Muslim. They "know" who's lying in a "he said/she said" dilemma. We don't know a fraction of the things we think we do so let's all get over our self-deceptive selves, can we?

    (This isn't directed at you, Rusty. Your comment just got me thinking about this.)
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

  5. #5
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    There you go! I also notice that all these people, you know, who "are not afraid to tell the truth" only have such courage from a recording studio in the case of radio talk show host, or on the internet... MTF, for example.

    In real life? I bet they're just as courteous as the next guy.
    I've noticed that too.

    I've also noticed that those who loudly bemoan political correctness are not able to give a coherent defense of why being PC is bad.

    It might stem from not having a universal definition of the term, but in large part, I think the anti-PC crowd are those who are locked in the past and afraid of change.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  6. #6
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I've noticed that too.

    I've also noticed that those who loudly bemoan political correctness are not able to give a coherent defense of why being PC is bad.

    It might stem from not having a universal definition of the term, but in large part, I think the anti-PC crowd are those who are locked in the past and afraid of change.
    I've been thinking quite a bit about what annoys me about "PC". I don't even think it's the political correctness itself. I think it's a frustration that people take stuff so personally and are so easily offended or hurt by words.

    Let's be honest. People are always going to say and do stupid shit. The best defense we have towards it is to not let it bother us.

    We always compare ourselves with other countries when it comes to so many things. I've never been to any other country where the people get so offended about jokes, nudity, and words in general. I'm not saying we should be like other countries, but I just wonder what the difference is.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I've been thinking quite a bit about what annoys me about "PC". I don't even think it's the political correctness itself. I think it's a frustration that people take stuff so personally and are so easily offended or hurt by words.

    Let's be honest. People are always going to say and do stupid shit. The best defense we have towards it is to not let it bother us..
    There is an element of truth to that, but would not that extend to the anti-PC crowd as well?

    Who is being easily offended in this scenario?

    An American-Samoan who sends out an email about Asian Pacific Islander Month.

    A recipient who receives the email and posts a thread on MT forums calling it evidence of PC run amok?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    We always compare ourselves with other countries when it comes to so many things. I've never been to any other country where the people get so offended about jokes, nudity, and words in general. I'm not saying we should be like other countries, but I just wonder what the difference is.
    Could it be an area where our country is more advanced than the rest of the world?

    I think we are trying hard to overcome racial, ethnic, gender and sexual divides in this country. We've got away to go, but the fact that we are sensitive to offending others doesn't have to be viewed as a weakness.

    I view it as a strength, at least we are trying to address it, and not ignoring it like other countries.

    I spent a considerable part of my career in Japan and Korea. I love both countries, but both can be very racist and both are far behind the US in gender equality.

    Political Correctness is good for our country, not bad.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  8. #8
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    There is an element of truth to that, but would not that extend to the anti-PC crowd as well?

    Who is being easily offended in this scenario?

    An American-Samoan who sends out an email about Asian Pacific Islander Month.

    A recipient who receives the email and posts a thread on MT forums calling it evidence of PC run amok?



    Could it be an area where our country is more advanced than the rest of the world?

    I think we are trying hard to overcome racial, ethnic, gender and sexual divides in this country. We've got away to go, but the fact that we are sensitive to offending others doesn't have to be viewed as a weakness.

    I view it as a strength, at least we are trying to address it, and not ignoring it like other countries.

    I spent a considerable part of my career in Japan and Korea. I love both countries, but both can be very racist and both are far behind the US in gender equality.

    Political Correctness is good for our country, not bad.
    Will have to put some thought into this one

  9. #9
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Will have to put some thought into this one
    Thanks for taking it into consideration.

    I think we can agree that we have been in agreement on several topics today.

    Wouldn't you agree?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  10. #10
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Thanks for taking it into consideration.

    I think we can agree that we have been in agreement on several topics today.

    Wouldn't you agree?
    I would agree on that agreement of our agreements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •