Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They Do?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They Do?

Are you guys seeing the comments from active duty personnel and their spouses on Facebook, when news and military pages post status updates and links to the news about the furlough?

How they think it's somehow cheaper to use military personnel? I'm a GS-9, and I make less than any NCO in the US military. Yet, I know a GS-9 right now who supervises two E7's, and has even supervised an E8.

What gives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

It's not about what each pay grade makes. The enlisted E-1 thru E-9 is a totally different structure than the GS system..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

I wasn't pissed about the money, GS/GM types made, I was just pissed that they made equivilant money with out the BS. Deployment, Mob lines, Mandatory you name it ect....... and supervised those who did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Because most AD personnel never fully understand their total "compensation package". Healthcare and retirement plan are the two big differences that come to mind. As a recently new GS (at the very lowest end of the pay scale) I receive an hourly rate. Yes, if I were to work more than my 8hrs per day or more than my 40hrs per week I would receive overtime pay (the same as I did at my previous civilian sector job. But unlike when I was on AD I can't just take time off to go to the doctor, take my son or wife to the doctor, and of course GS do not receive goal days or family days. Want time off...take your annual leave or sick leave.

Mind you, I'm not complaining...just saying it is not a fair comparison. But until when one retires or separates and joins the civilian workforce does one truly appreciate how well the AD is compensated.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Because most AD personnel never fully understand their total "compensation package". Healthcare and retirement plan are the two big differences that come to mind. As a recently new GS (at the very lowest end of the pay scale) I receive an hourly rate. Yes, if I were to work more than my 8hrs per day or more than my 40hrs per week I would receive overtime pay (the same as I did at my previous civilian sector job. But unlike when I was on AD I can't just take time off to go to the doctor, take my son or wife to the doctor, and of course GS do not receive goal days or family days. Want time off...take your annual leave or sick leave.

Mind you, I'm not complaining...just saying it is not a fair comparison. But until when one retires or separates and joins the civilian workforce does one truly appreciate how well the AD is compensated.
    Chief_KO

I worked a couple of years before I joined the military, so I do appreciate all of the hidden benefits that are afforded to all of us who are active duty. I agree that many active duty personnel do not realize the benefits until it is too late. As far as GS, I work and supervise some that are truly outstanding, but there are some others that are just horrible. The ones that are horrible unfortunately know the Master Labor Agree (MLA) forward and backwards. Any punitive actions never seem to stick.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    I wasn't pissed about the money, GS/GM types made, I was just pissed that they made equivilant money with out the BS. Deployment, Mob lines, Mandatory you name it ect....... and supervised those who did.
    As a GS9, according to the chart, I'm supposed to be equal to a 1LT. Trust me, I get paid nowhere near what a 1LT makes. I get $47,448 a year. I probably have the same net pay as an E3, if that.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

For the first time in 20+ years I had to pay car registration...$750 for both of our vehicles. Oh yeah, MAJCOM family day? I came to work while the rest of our office (active duty) enjoyed the (well earned) day off. Also, I think DoD wants to quadruple my Tricare rates, but my wife and I will cross that bridge later. I'm not complaining, but just getting used to my new non-active duty life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    For the first time in 20+ years I had to pay car registration...$750 for both of our vehicles. Oh yeah, MAJCOM family day? I came to work while the rest of our office (active duty) enjoyed the (well earned) day off. Also, I think DoD wants to quadruple my Tricare rates, but my wife and I will cross that bridge later. I'm not complaining, but just getting used to my new non-active duty life.
    "Gosh 'Flaps'; what state are you in? Sounds awful high??"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "Gosh 'Flaps'; what state are you in? Sounds awful high??"
    That's total combined cost for both vehicles. And yes, it's high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"In Virginia it's $45 per car a year."
    :car