Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They Do?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    I wasn't pissed about the money, GS/GM types made, I was just pissed that they made equivilant money with out the BS. Deployment, Mob lines, Mandatory you name it ect....... and supervised those who did.
    Add in the no pt, no body fat/weight requirements, no clothing/uniform needs. Yes they may not get the same pay, but they get a lot in perks.

That's total combined cost for both vehicles. And yes, it's high.
    350 a car? What state is that!>!>!>

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Add in the no pt, no body fat/weight requirements, no clothing/uniform needs. Yes they may not get the same pay, but they get a lot in perks.

Several states charge that high for the annual registration....if you're not active duty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

Civilians don't get a clothing allowance, last I checked, but they sure as hell need a larger wardrobe. Besides, military having to wear the same thing to work each day won't exactly break the bank. I rotated two sets of ABUs for almost two years. Can't do that with my Dockers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People complain while on active duty, but I had so much more freedom of movement when I was active duty. Sure there was the mandatory BS, but I didn't have to make up time missed for a doctors appt. If it's a slow day, I have to stay until 4, I can't just leave. Can't take long gym or lunch breaks, unless I want to make up for it. No CBPO lunches.

As for pay, I retired at a bad time, before the current hiring freeze things were still slow. The base has the highest pay unless I want to drive another 30 miles on top of the 16 I already drive. As a contractor you worry about the contract being renewed. Since it's coming around to the fiscal year, I'm looking just in case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "In Virginia it's $45 per car a year."
    :car
    I confused the taxes with the registration. Paid all at the same time. Sorry about that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Peoples Republic of Maryland has outrageous vehicle fees, inspection fees, smog fees. No military clause and it takes on average 2-3 DMV visits to get it done. Every other state I was stationed in had out of state military clauses that cut the fees dramatically. Heck, Colorado even has a military in uniform line...takes about 15 minutes.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like everything in life there is good and bad on both the civilian and active duty side of the fence.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    As a GS9, according to the chart, I'm supposed to be equal to a 1LT. Trust me, I get paid nowhere near what a 1LT makes. I get $47,448 a year. I probably have the same net pay as an E3, if that.
    What 'chart' are you referring to?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Several states charge that high for the annual registration....if you're not active duty.
    Took a look at This site and minnesota, iowa, michigan and oklahoma are the only ones above 100 a year for autos..

The Peoples Republic of Maryland has outrageous vehicle fees, inspection fees, smog fees. No military clause and it takes on average 2-3 DMV visits to get it done.
    And people wonder why i never want to live up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know, I work for the government and believe I am wayyyyy overpaid. Not that it means much to this debate, but I get a shitload of benefits and too much pay for what I do.

Maybe my perspective is jacked up since I came from an infantry background, but I still feel like a monkey could do my job, wtf they paying me so much to do it.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.