Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Atheist vs Christian Debate

  1. #51
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Stick to talking about Christianity in these fluffy abstract terms like you did just now and you'll be safe.

    When you start talking about the book that is the foundation of your faith, is when you risk sounding like an idiot.

    Because it is very obvious that you haven't really read it, or even have much regard for it.
    I know many people who can tell me what the TO says, word for word, about fixing a generator. I know only a few who are better working on them.

    And you still avoid the question. Over and over you avoid the question I've asked you several times in this thread. Do you avoid it because you have no answer or do you avoid it because you're embarrassed about your answer?

    And what will I be "safe" from? Your ridicule? You think pretty highly of yourself, don't you?

  2. #52
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I know many people who can tell me what the TO says, word for word, about fixing a generator. I know only a few who are better working on them.
    There you go, equate your talk of religion to fixing generators. I'm sure you can hold your own in the type of religious discussion that involves removing one's self from being accountable for the truth.


    And you still avoid the question. Over and over you avoid the question I've asked you several times in this thread. Do you avoid it because you have no answer or do you avoid it because you're embarrassed about your answer?

    And what will I be "safe" from? Your ridicule? You think pretty highly of yourself, don't you?
    What question? My purpose discussing this? I already answered that up-thread.

    You want more on why I talk about religion in here? I'm proselytizing on the behalf of Atheism, of course.

    Do you think I would deny that? No secret, I want to convert you from believing in God.

    Why else would I talk about such a thing in frank and open terms?

    Why the hell do you talk religion in here?
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 05-16-2015 at 12:46 AM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  3. #53
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    There you go, equate your talk of religion to fixing generators. I'm sure you can hold your own in the type of religious discussion that involves removing one's self from being accountable for the truth.
    I think you're confused on who's not being accountable.

    Do you think I would deny that? No secret, I want to convert you from believing in God.
    Do you think that has any possibility of working? And what would you gain? Who's life would improve if I became an Atheist? Do you think I'd change how I live my life? It sounds to me like it's just an ego thing for you...like it's a notch on your bible.

    Why else would I talk about such a thing in frank and open terms?
    I think you do it because you're looking for a reason to believe again. I'm the wrong guy to talk to about that. I wish I wasn't, but I am.

    Why the hell do you talk religion in here?
    Because I like to hear other views. If my beliefs are "challenged" then I'm able to strengthen my faith. So, just to make it clear...you trying to "convert" me, as you say, actually has exactly the opposite effect.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I think you're confused on who's not being accountable.

    Do you think that has any possibility of working? And what would you gain? Who's life would improve if I became an Atheist? Do you think I'd change how I live my life? It sounds to me like it's just an ego thing for you...like it's a notch on your bible.

    I think you do it because you're looking for a reason to believe again. I'm the wrong guy to talk to about that. I wish I wasn't, but I am.

    Because I like to hear other views. If my beliefs are "challenged" then I'm able to strengthen my faith. So, just to make it clear...you trying to "convert" me, as you say, actually has exactly the opposite effect.
    Why don't you just be honest? You are also prothelyzing your view of the universe when you post on this subject.

    Why are you trying to paint prothelyzing as something bad or shameful?

    Are you ashamed of your beliefs?

    After all, your core beliefs on the nature of the universe comes from a book of obvious fiction. How do you account for that?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  5. #55
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    After all, your core beliefs on the nature of the universe comes from a book of obvious fiction. How do you account for that?
    Yes..."obvious" fiction. That's the kind of statement that makes Atheists sound so pretentious. You can be even more convincing if you call it a "fairy tale". You're swayin' me man. You're getting close. Keep up the good work.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Yes..."obvious" fiction. That's the kind of statement that makes Atheists sound so pretentious. You can be even more convincing if you call it a "fairy tale". You're swayin' me man. You're getting close. Keep up the good work.
    So, Noah's Ark isn't fiction, how about the parting of the Red Sea?

    You think those things really happened as described in the bible?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  7. #57
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    So, Noah's Ark isn't fiction, how about the parting of the Red Sea?

    You think those things really happened as described in the bible?
    Absolutely.

    But if you tell me how it's impossible then I will probably say "you know what, you're right" and turn away from my belief that a God who can create EVERYTHING can make those two things you mentioned possible.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Absolutely.

    But if you tell me how it's impossible then I will probably say "you know what, you're right" and turn away from my belief that a God who can create EVERYTHING can make those two things you mentioned possible.
    Let's try something else. What is your favorite story from the Old Testament?

    Mine is Genesis 32:22-31
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  9. #59
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Let's try something else. What is your favorite story from the Old Testament?

    Mine is Genesis 32:22-31
    Genesis 13...

    I'm not really surprised by yours. And I don't really believe it's your favorite, I believe you're using it to try to make a point.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Genesis 13...

    I'm not really surprised by yours. And I don't really believe it's your favorite, I believe you're using it to try to make a point.
    I try to make a point in everything I say in here. Why would you find that surprising?

    Anyway, you like the story of Abraham and Lot?

    It is a pretty good story, it is one that stands out as being somewhat descriptive in geographic references and from a literary stand point, the English version of it in the New International Version, even sets a tone for the story despite its many translations and re-writes.

    Which translation of the bible do you read? Because I'll switch to your translation of the bible to discuss Abraham and Lot with you.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •