Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Atheist vs Christian Debate

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    No, that's the means you are using...but what's the goal?

Rejecting it and determining it not to be the most important are two entirely different things.

The history of Christianity isn't important to me. Christianity is important to me.
    LOL!

SJ,

You are discussing this on the level of a garkhal or a Robot Chicken. You really might as well start festooning your posts on religion with a shit-load of emoticons.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    LOL!

SJ,

You are discussing this on the level of a garkhal or a Robot Chicken. You really might as well start festooning your posts on religion with a shit-load of emoticons.
    Ok. I will help you reach your end game so you can win:

I am a poor excuse for a Christian. I do not actively take the role that I am expected to by the leaders of the Church. I have done only a small to moderate amount of time researching the history behind my religion and much more is expected of me.

I cannot possibly have a good relationship with God if I don't spend more time getting other people's thoughts on the subject. I cannot determine, for myself, what the right path is for me. I must follow what the Church tells me is right or I will burn in hell for eternity.

Thank you, AA, for setting me on the right path. You have inspired me. You have changed my thoughts and belief system. I now realize the error of my ways because you, a non-Christian, have pointed out to me to how to be a better Christian. I am eternally grateful for your time and effort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Reminds of me a funny picture I saw in Hustler magazine in the late 80s. It showed a guy who looked like Jesus writing in a book, and while he's writing he says to another guy standing next to him, "one day somebody's going to believe this bullshit I'm writing."

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ok. I will help you reach your end game so you can win:

I am a poor excuse for a Christian. I do not actively take the role that I am expected to by the leaders of the Church. I have done only a small to moderate amount of time researching the history behind my religion and much more is expected of me.

I cannot possibly have a good relationship with God if I don't spend more time getting other people's thoughts on the subject. I cannot determine, for myself, what the right path is for me. I must follow what the Church tells me is right or I will burn in hell for eternity.

Thank you, AA, for setting me on the right path. You have inspired me. You have changed my thoughts and belief system. I now realize the error of my ways because you, a non-Christian, have pointed out to me to how to be a better Christian. I am eternally grateful for your time and effort.
    Your heated reaction to me, really makes me wonder just how pissed off you got some 20 years ago when a preacher stepped on your toes about your progress as a Christian.

I'm guessing you got pretty damned angry since it has been 20 years since you have stepped into a church.

You seem resentful of anyone who suggests that you spend a little more time learning about your religion.

I'm sure you don't realize how obvious it is that you haven't spent any time reading the bible or learning about your religion.

If you had, you wouldn't be saying such nonsensical things like not understanding what the Protestant division of Christianity is, or expressing fragmented views on the nature of Satan and what happens between death and judgement day.

You are all over the fucking map when it comes to that stuff, and you need to avoid talking about it until you understand it more.

It is painfully obvious that you don't understand the bible, or Christianity.

The vast majority of Christians are just like you. You have heard a bible verse hear and there, maybe you have leafed through a bible once or twice.

But you haven't read the bible, and you don't take the concept of being a Christian that seriously. Especially in your daily life.

However, you are quick to identify yourself as a Christian, and you are quick to attempt a defense of it with limited knowledge.

You should just quit lying and call yourself, "spiritual, but not religious" or some other hogwash label.

You think that your response was sarcastic and maybe that it would guilt me into shutting up. But the truth is that you actually are a phony Christian, and both you and I know it.

And if that God of yours is real, he sure as fuck knows what the score is.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Your heated reaction to me, really makes me wonder just how pissed off you got some 20 years ago when a preacher stepped on your toes about your progress as a Christian.

I'm guessing you got pretty damned angry since it has been 20 years since you have stepped into a church.

You seem resentful of anyone who suggests that you spend a little more time learning about your religion.

I'm sure you don't realize how obvious it is that you haven't spent any time reading the bible or learning about your religion.

If you had, you wouldn't be saying such nonsensical things like not understanding what the Protestant division of Christianity is, or expressing fragmented views on the nature of Satan and what happens between death and judgement day.

You are all over the fucking map when it comes to that stuff, and you need to avoid talking about it until you understand it more.

It is painfully obvious that you don't understand the bible, or Christianity.

The vast majority of Christians are just like you. You have heard a bible verse hear and there, maybe you have leafed through a bible once or twice.

But you haven't read the bible, and you don't take the concept of being a Christian that seriously. Especially in your daily life.

However, you are quick to identify yourself as a Christian, and you are quick to attempt a defense of it with limited knowledge.

You should just quit lying and call yourself, "spiritual, but not religious" or some other hogwash label.

You think that your response was sarcastic and maybe that it would guilt me into shutting up. But the truth is that you actually are a phony Christian, and both you and I know it.

I see. Unless someone practices religion as you deem necessary then they are doing it wrong. And I agree. You are right. You win.

I have no anger or resentment. The difference between you and I is that I'm no longer angry about what happened over 20 years ago while you still are. Why do you still carry that anger? You can get rid of that anger quite easily. Give yourself to Jesus and realize that what all those other people did to you that turned you away from him are irrelevant. You'll feel much better and won't have to continue carrying the grudge.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, if you don't subscribe to one of the top, "pre-approved," man made written versions of God, then your beliefs are "hogwash?" Or are you implying that if you don't believe in the Christian God, as communicated in the bible, then your beliefs are "hogwash?"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Indeed he does. And that's between Him and I.

Why won't you answer the question as to why you care? Do you think you're accomplishing anything by acting like a child? You hate people who don't fit your ideal of what a Christian should be, we get it.

What's funny is that you are telling me the same thing that God tells us in the Old Testament. None of us are good enough for His Kingdom. We are all hypocrites. We aren't worthy of that glory. Then he gave us Jesus, to give us a chance.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    So, if you don't subscribe to one of the top, "pre-approved," man made written versions of God, then your beliefs are "hogwash?" Or are you implying that if you don't believe in the Christian God, as communicated in the bible, then your beliefs are "hogwash?"
    Pretty much, at least from my standpoint. Spiritual, but not religious sounds like a hogwash label to me.

New age crystal worship sounds like hog wash, as does Scientology.

Some dude who claims to have a personal relationship with god, sounds like hogwash at best, but it is probably closer to a mixture of bullshit and hogwash.

However, I'm a just heathen atheist who spent about half his life looking for god, reading the bible and praying, so what do I know?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Some dude who claims to have a personal relationship with god, sounds like hogwash at best, but it is probably closer to a mixture of bullshit and hogwash.

However, I'm a just heathen atheist who spent about half his life looking for god, reading the bible and praying, so what do I know?
    You don't have to be jealous because I've got something you haven't. You can still have it. You're just looking in the wrong places. You won't find it in a book. You won't find it when you're looking for reasons not to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    You don't have to be jealous because I've got something you haven't. You can still have it. You're just looking in the wrong places. You won't find it in a book. You won't find it when you're looking for reasons not to.
    Stick to talking about Christianity in these fluffy abstract terms like you did just now and you'll be safe.

When you start talking about the book that is the foundation of your faith, is when you risk sounding like an idiot.

Because it is very obvious that you haven't really read it, or even have much regard for it.