Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too good not to share....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Too good not to share....

"You go..'DocBones' and I hope India has their finger on the 'button' to take out those Pak-full-of-sand-$hit and send them flying back to mecca!"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Exactly how is doing yoga pushing a Hindi belief though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

garkhal,

With many of the asanas (poses), there are stories that can be connected to them, that have to do with the many different gods that Hindus believe in. Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu...and so on.

Some people do teach with the stories at one time or another. Most, I do believe, teach without instructing on the pantheon.

There is meditation, which can be taught, or not taught. Myself, I don't think that I have a 3rd eye embedded in my forehead. I don't think that having their hands on the knees type has to have my students connecting the thumb with any certain finger because each finger supposedly evokes a different outcome. My students are taught to place the hands on the knees with the fingers relaxed.

A lot of teachers teach their students to say 'ommm.' I take my people into meditation without saying that. 'Om' being what the Hindis say is the sound that was present at creation of the world.

I don't teach hindi religion while I teach yoga, Yoga should be taught as a nice set of stretching exercises, especially to students at high schools and middle schools. It should not be taught with Hindu religion as a part of it.

As I said earlier, upon arriving at an ashram to learn how to teach religion, one of the first things that we heard was that yoga should not be taught along with religion.

Kundalini (tantric) yoga is whole different set of poses and beliefs. That does involve some weird stuff, dude. It is not taught to school children, as far as I know.

Yoga should be taught as yoga, plain and simply, without the religious overtones that some allow into their yoga classes. Instructors of yoga can include some of the hindi belief, if their students know that that is just an explanation of hindi belief. From what I have know, if most instructors are going to be mentioning the stories of those beliefs, those instructors usually qualify those teachings with a statement of the stories being of hindi belief, and those stories are presented as a historical bit of background.

Some of the yoga instructors don't qualify their statements, because they don't see the connection between their teaching and their students getting into a different religion than that they were taught by their parents. Some of the teachers do believe in Hindi religion, and they are a sort of missionary, which the schools never ever thought of checking into who they were hiring to teach yoga.

Lastly, there are some instructors that teach in the high and middle school that realize that yoga should be taught with the whole emphasis on the students learning and practicing the poses, without pushing any sort of religion tied in. This is type that should teach in those surroundings. The schools must check with the instructor on what they will teach, before allowing rhem to teach in the school system.