Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Unemployment a Civil Right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Extended Unemployment a Civil Right?

I get that a lot of people depend on that money but a Civil Right?

Changes in North Carolina's unemployment law are just the latest in a series of issues behind the "Moral Monday" protests, which have drawn hundreds of civil rights leaders, left-leaning clergy and citizens to the state Legislative Complex almost every week since April 29.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Extended Unemployment a Civil Right?

Well... the question is; what has the state been doing in terms of legislation to conditions conducive for businesses to hire more people?

If a government can't see to it that its people prosper, or provide for its people when it fails to do that, then why is the government even there?

North Carolina is such an interesting state - by raising sales tax, they're putting the burden of the tax on the poor. If the CEO of BofA and I each buy a Coke, I'm losing a higher percentage of my income to sales tax than that CEO is.

They don't have the balls to raise actual income tax, do they?

Especially when so many big banks - the "too big to fail" banks - are headquartered in North Carolina. They're in so much debt, and those cowards won't go after the big businesses. They go after the poor and unemployed.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From the article:

The state's Republican-controlled legislature opted out of a Medicaid expansion under ObamaCare that would have extended coverage to 500,000 low-income people. GOP lawmakers have also proposed reductions in state income taxes while increasing sales taxes, as well as cuts in public school funding and restrictions on early voting.
    Wow, so the NC Republicans aren't even trying to conceal it anymore... they're openly Fascist pricks now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    From the article:

Wow, so the NC Republicans aren't even trying to conceal it anymore... they're openly Fascist pricks now.
    I am assuming you "missed" this part?

"Republicans, who control North Carolina's governorship and both chambers of the legislature for the first time in more than a century, say they have a mandate to restore financial stability to a state that nearly went bankrupt under Democrat leadership."

I know you think that everything is solved by raising taxes but the fact of the matter is that the states (unlike the Fed) are required to balance their budgets every year and when you have to eliminate $11.1 BILLION, there are VERY few options other than cutting the programs that cost the most to the bone..... Why you would think that is Facist? That I don't know.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post

"Republicans, who control North Carolina's governorship and both chambers of the legislature for the first time in more than a century, say they have a mandate to restore financial stability to a state that nearly went bankrupt under Democrat leadership."

I know you think that everything is solved by raising taxes but the fact of the matter is that the states (unlike the Fed) are required to balance their budgets every year and when you have to eliminate $11.1 BILLION, there are VERY few options other than cutting the programs that cost the most to the bone..... Why you would think that is Facist? That I don't know.
    They're cutting taxes for the rich and raising taxes for the poor... and also slashing services for the poor. This is class warfare, pure and simple.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're cutting taxes for the rich and raising taxes for the poor... and also slashing services for the poor. This is class warfare, pure and simple.
    Such a one trick pony.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're cutting taxes for the rich and raising taxes for the poor... and also slashing services for the poor. And also, on top of all that, attempting naked voter surppression. This is class warfare, pure and simple.

You're so eager to defend the Christian Taliban at every opportunity, no matter what. Explain to me how the fuck ending early voting is going to reduce the deficit. How the fuck is cutting taxes on the rich and raising taxes on the poor going to fix the deficit? How the fuck is cutting education going to reduce the deficit? In the long run, wouldn't all these things actually RAISE the deficit? Obviously yes, but you don't care, you're just in to defend the "right" party, no matter what crimes against humanity they commit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

They're cutting taxes for the rich and raising taxes for the poor... and also slashing services for the poor. And also, on top of all that, attempting naked voter surppression. This is class warfare, pure and simple.

You're so eager to defend the Christian Taliban at every opportunity, no matter what. Explain to me how the fuck ending early voting is going to reduce the deficit. How the fuck is cutting taxes on the rich and raising taxes on the poor going to fix the deficit? How the fuck is cutting education going to reduce the deficit? In the long run, wouldn't all these things actually RAISE the deficit? Obviously yes, but you don't care, you're just in to defend the "right" party, no matter what crimes against humanity they commit.
    Well, ignoring as usual your blatent hyperbole, early voting costs money...................................

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

You kind of missed this part
    We owed $7.1 billion in state debt," said state Sen. Thom Goolsby. "And on top of all that, we owed the feds $3 billion in unemployment insurance. So, we have been trying to get our fiscal house in order
    If they kept taking more money their debt level would go up..

oh and just to add insult to injury, throw in some voter suppression. Is voter suppression now a standard part of all Republican legislation now? Did Republican Jesus come down and tell them that we need to keep the brown people from voting?
    How did you get that from the article?

Ah yes survival of the fittest... exactly what Jesus wanted.
    Coming from someone who is continually bashing god/Christians etc, i don't see how you can claim to know what Jesus wants or not.

Well said PT.

I disagree. There are circumstances in which the Gov SHOULD support people. My objection is simply when people expect the gov to support them. Do I feel bad for the 100,000+ that are losing their unemploymnet bennies?
    And there should always be a time limit on how long those benefits DO go on for.

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    How is making sure to sure ID to verify who you are when voting, voter suppression?
    Exactly. I have never understood the clamor from those on the left that requiring ID to prove you are you to being suppressing the vote? Now if somehow all those of a specific ethnicity do not have it i can see the arguments for it, but when id is required for so damn much these days i cannot see how ANY adult does not have one..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    Cover is blown. Go to bed, little boy
    Oh wow, I must have really hit a sore spot with this one! You got butthurt pretty quick there buddy. Well pretty stupid to bring up your brother if you were going to get butthurt about being criticized. You deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    You kind of missed this part

If they kept taking more money their debt level would go up..
    I don't follow... so cutting taxes on the rich fixes this problem how? And gutting the public education system... making kids dumb, so they'll go on food stamps in higher numbers... this solves the deficit how?

How did you get that from the article?
    They're cutting early voting. Voter suppression, under the guise of "saving money".

Coming from someone who is continually bashing god/Christians etc, i don't see how you can claim to know what Jesus wants or not.
    As a former Christian who has probably read the bible more times than most people on this forum - absolutely.

And there should always be a time limit on how long those benefits DO go on for.
    There is one, even with extended benefits. The issue here is that they are cutting the extended benefits, but have made zero effort to improve the job market. They don't give a shit if people starve or not, they're just hooking up their rich buddies who got them into office.