Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I Deserve a Tip!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: I Deserve a Tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I find it interesting how much the phrase "sense of entitlement" is being thrown around. I can only imagine how superior it must make people feel accuse others of having it.

Did any of them tell you that they "deserve" a tip? The jar is simply there. If you don't want to put anything in the tip jar, then don't do it. It's as simple as that.

That's because in most countries, servers are paid a wage that doesn't anticipate tips. Here in the US, servers wages are generally below minimum wage and are only enough to cover payroll deductions. In other words... servers only work for tips.

The truth is, customers who tip are going to get better service. I remember when I delivered pizza part time - yes, unlike servers, pizza deliverymen are required to be paid minimum wage. But the fact that some people don't tip, and among those who do, some tip better than others... not all customers are going to be treated the same.

And if someone didn't tip, I wrote down their address and kept a list. When their order came up, the food would sit there until things slowed down enough to the point where it was the only order left to take. If I ended up being the one taking it? I would take the food right out of the leather case; and put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat and put the air conditioner on full blast. And as soon as I got to the destination, I would shake their 2 liter sodas, or even drop it once or twice if there was no one looking.

I drive taxis as my second job now, and while there's no way to screw non-tippers while providing the service, you can always refuse to take calls to certain addresses. So these non-tippers will really feel the pain when they're an hour or two late to their job, or they miss their flight, or they sit in front of the grocery store while their food spoils.

The deal is, you can put down people in professions where it's customary to tip; refuse to tip them out of principle or whatever, but in the end... you're not going to have the last laugh. They're going to win, and you're going to lose.
    I'm a pretty good tipper, when deserved. Walking me to my Denny's table is not worthy of a tip, and neither is selling me two tickets to a lousy movie for $26.00. When these people put the tip jars out, I am quite sure they believe they are as deserving (and entitled) of a tip as a (good) waitress is.

So today it's the cashier or hostess and they MAY not expect that tip. Tomorrow the pool includes the Wallmart cashier, 7-Eleven cashier, and toll booth worker and they will expect a tip. I chalk it up to an increased "sense of entitlement" in this country, but you attribute it to other things. That's fine!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    I'm pretty surprised to read such a progressive such as yourself discriminating based simply on an address. What parts of town do you refuse "service"?
    I never said that certain "parts of town" are full of non-tippers. You just did.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I never said that certain "parts of town" are full of non-tippers. You just did.
    Spin my words however you'd like.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Spin my words however you'd like.
    Oh, you don't like that, do you? You tried that, and it backfired... and now you're bitching about it.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    When these people put the tip jars out, I am quite sure they believe they are as deserving (and entitled) of a tip as a (good) waitress is.
    ...and how so?

If someone wants to make an extra buck, let them. As long as they're not trying to con anyone, why knock their hustle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it interesting how much the phrase "sense of entitlement" is being thrown around. I can only imagine how superior it must make people feel accuse others of having it.

Did any of them tell you that they "deserve" a tip? The jar is simply there. If you don't want to put anything in the tip jar, then don't do it. It's as simple as that.

That's because in most countries, servers are paid a wage that doesn't anticipate tips. Here in the US, servers wages are generally below minimum wage and are only enough to cover payroll deductions. In other words... servers only work for tips.

The truth is, customers who tip are going to get better service. I remember when I delivered pizza part time - yes, unlike servers, pizza deliverymen are required to be paid minimum wage. But the fact that some people don't tip, and among those who do, some tip better than others... not all customers are going to be treated the same.

And if someone didn't tip, I wrote down their address and kept a list. When their order came up, the food would sit there until things slowed down enough to the point where it was the only order left to take. If I ended up being the one taking it? I would take the food right out of the leather case; and put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat and put the air conditioner on full blast. And as soon as I got to the destination, I would shake their 2 liter sodas, or even drop it once or twice if there was no one looking.

I drive taxis as my second job now, and while there's no way to screw non-tippers while providing the service, you can always refuse to take calls to certain addresses. So these non-tippers will really feel the pain when they're an hour or two late to their job, or they miss their flight, or they sit in front of the grocery store while their food spoils.

The deal is, you can put down people in professions where it's customary to tip; refuse to tip them out of principle or whatever, but in the end... you're not going to have the last laugh. They're going to win, and you're going to lose.
    You sit behind a desk as your primary means of income, and then to earn a little extra, you sit behind a steering wheel. Excellent. Plus, you're resentful. Got it.
    The you post on MilitaryTimes/forums the discrepancies -as you see them- of others. Nice.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You sit behind a desk as your primary means of income, and then to earn a little extra, you sit behind a steering wheel. Excellent. Plus, you're resentful. Got it.
    The you post on MilitaryTimes/forums the discrepancies -as you see them- of others. Nice.
    Resentful? Nope, all I'm doing on my second job is whatever makes the most money. If I'm going to get more by taking one call over the other, then that's what I'm going to do.

Besides... don't be mad! Stop knocking my hustle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Resentful? Nope, all I'm doing on my second job is whatever makes the most money. If I'm going to get more by taking one call over the other, then that's what I'm going to do.

Besides... don't be mad! Stop knocking my hustle!

I have nothing against anyone putting forth effort to earn an extra buck, but messing with someone else's pizza? How do expect to stay employed if there's no return business?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have nothing against anyone putting forth effort to earn an extra buck, but messing with someone else's pizza? How do expect to stay employed if there's no return business?
    That's the point. To make sure that the non-tippers are either weeded out, or they get onboard. I could care less which one happens, as long as one of them does.

And if you think that pizza deliverymen getting back at non-tippers is new? Man...

My ex-wife was a part-time server as Pizza Hut. You didn't tip her, you'd better not come in during "that time of the month" or the sauce on your pizza might be a little... "contaminated." That's in addition to the water scooped out of the toilet that you'd be drinking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's the point. To make sure that the non-tippers are either weeded out, or they get onboard. I could care less which one happens, as long as one of them does.

And if you think that pizza deliverymen getting back at non-tippers is new? Man...

My ex-wife was a part-time server as Pizza Hut. You didn't tip her, you'd better not come in during "that time of the month" or the sauce on your pizza might be a little... "contaminated." That's in addition to the water scooped out of the toilet that you'd be drinking.
    Tips are for those who go Above and Beyond the minimum. For a pizza place, the owner expects their employees to MEET minimum standards, which includes providing the promised quality (warm pizza, reasonable preparation/delivery time). As an employee, it's not your right to FAIL in meeting the owner's expectations just because you aren't PERSONALLY benefiting financially over and above your mutually agreed upon wage. By intentionally delivering cold pizza you are hurting the business and should be fired, period!