Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 145 of 145

Thread: I Deserve a Tip!

  1. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Deserve a Tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    For example, I know a few servers who've all given me figures of AT LEAST 90%, that blacks who order steaks, order them well done. I did a little research on this, and found that this is actually due to lower income people only being able to afford the cheaper cuts of steak at the store; cuts that have to be thoroughly cooked in order to be safe to consume. But... it's about the same percentage, whether they're minimum wage earners or if they make six figures.
    Wouldn't have to by definition be one or the other? It is either due to not being able to afford good meat or it isn't...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  2. #142
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: I Deserve a Tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Wouldn't have to by definition be one or the other? It is either due to not being able to afford good meat or it isn't...
    What I'm saying is that it's somewhat of a culture of poverty. If you grew up eating fully cooked meat - because all your family could afford was meat that HAD to be fully cooked - then you're probably going want your steaks well done, because that's all you knew growing up... even if you grew up to take on six figure salary job. Likewise, someone like that will pass this onto their children.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Deserve a Tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    What I'm saying is that it's somewhat of a culture of poverty. If you grew up eating fully cooked meat - because all your family could afford was meat that HAD to be fully cooked - then you're probably going want your steaks well done, because that's all you knew growing up... even if you grew up to take on six figure salary job. Likewise, someone like that will pass this onto their children.
    Makes sense... Not sure it would be deliniated as clearly along racial lines then though... I know I grew up on everything being cooked well done...though I have gotten over that.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  4. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: I Deserve a Tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Makes sense... Not sure it would be deliniated as clearly along racial lines then though... I know I grew up on everything being cooked well done...though I have gotten over that.
    My mom is white and she always orders her steak well done (dont waste your time with the momma joke). The reason though is because she is a health inspector for the Health department. Even growing up around this I order my steak medium well. I despise it when someone burns my food and I honestly don't care if I get sick from undercooked steak. I would probably get more sick from an overcooked steak because it would make me gag.

  5. #145
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: I Deserve a Tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Makes sense... Not sure it would be deliniated as clearly along racial lines then though... I know I grew up on everything being cooked well done...though I have gotten over that.
    Right, but I'd wager a paycheck that there isn't a stage of doneness that at least 90% of whites order.

    Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Is this a sub thread now of what black people eat and why?
    Could be.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    My mom is white and she always orders her steak well done (dont waste your time with the momma joke). The reason though is because she is a health inspector for the Health department. Even growing up around this I order my steak medium well. I despise it when someone burns my food and I honestly don't care if I get sick from undercooked steak. I would probably get more sick from an overcooked steak because it would make me gag.
    I grew up poor, and before I had moved out on my own, the only restaurant that I had ever eaten at (outside of fast food) was Friendly's, and I only got their burgers (well done, of course).

    When I was finally out of high school and somewhat on my own (my own source of income, anyway) and went out to eat - like on dates, etc - I initially ordered my steaks well done. I thought it was dry and flavorless like that. I'm told that there are restaurants out there that can make a well done steak without making it dry - though I have yet to see it. Anyhow, I moved down to medium well, and finally down to medium. And that's how I order my steaks now.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •