Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Want to get rid of "busy work" then give the Sailors the resources they absolutely have to have in order to maintain their ships, attend required schools and quit overwhelming them with time consuming and insignificant emergent training events, (SAPR/DADT, etc...). You ask any DESRON Commander, (off the record of course) what his/her greatest challenge is and I bet you hear them echo similar thoughts. If you don't think the CSG, TYCOM and Commander is aware of these issues then you are mistaken. Walk the water front in S.D. and NORVA and you'll see clear signs of these problems not only on the QD but deep in the main spaces. The resources spent on researching and outfitting the Fleet with an unsat working uniform, developing and implementing these training events and inundating the Fleet with minutia continues to take it's toll. You want a happy Sailor? Give him/her the tools they need to safely and efficiently take their unit into harms way with unmatched confidence and watch morale and combat efficiency take off!

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Would you consider sending military members in uniform to babysit single sailors "busy work?"

    http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...re-combat-rape
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  3. #13
    Senior Member Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Would you consider sending military members in uniform to babysit single sailors "busy work?"

    http://www.airforcetimes.com/article...re-combat-rape
    "...every branch is scrambling to demonstrate it can get the situation under control by instituting new measures that emphasize a zero-tolerance message and crack down on alcohol, which is said to be a major contributor to the problem.

    'We need cultural change...'"


    In 1980, they instituted a zero tolerance on alcohol related incidents. This was after installing a zero tolerance policy on drugs, post Vietnam, to which was considered a resounding success.

    It's the same-old-same-old. A policy is crafted, implemented, and enforced, with fervor. And then, after awhile, people become complacent; back to business as usual.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Right about.....HERE
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    "...every branch is scrambling to demonstrate it can get the situation under control by instituting new measures that emphasize a zero-tolerance message and crack down on alcohol, which is said to be a major contributor to the problem.

    'We need cultural change...'"


    In 1980, they instituted a zero tolerance on alcohol related incidents. This was after installing a zero tolerance policy on drugs, post Vietnam, to which was considered a resounding success.

    It's the same-old-same-old. A policy is crafted, implemented, and enforced, with fervor. And then, after awhile, people become complacent; back to business as usual.
    IMO when you hear ZERO-tolerance, it means they don't have a solution and don't want to have to think about it/apply logic and/or reason....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

    --Barak Obama


    You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

    Lord of the Pings

  5. #15
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,937
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    This might sound like an effed up thing to say, but certain things cannot effectively be rectified through preventive measures. They can only be dealt with through corrective measures. This definitely applies to rape and sexual assault.

    That is, unless you don't mind making everyone's lives hell.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    A few things things you can do:

    Get rid of PQS. The Navy is the only service that has it, while members of other services simply get trained on a piece of equipment and then start operating it. Marines don't need a PQS to fire an M9. Someone simply shows them how to use it, and then they use it.

    PQS is simply a CYA tool. Just like the majority of paperwork. Make the Navy less of a CYA environment, and LOTS of paperwork can be done any with.

    I think 3M may constitute the lion's share of paperwork that the Fleet could do without. Why should the administration behind the maintenance take up more man hours than the maintenance itself?
    That may be true, top side, but the engineering spaces live and breathe off of PQS-type qualification for watchstanding. Sorry, but you can't equate firing an M9 to operating a steam or gas turbine plant......there's a world of difference in the complexity.

    Engineering watch quals keep a person from being qualified, after being taught, "This is how I do it, never mind how the book says to do it", especially in the nuke power world. You learn it right, and operate it correctly, or you're in a world of hurt, professionally. I dare say that our watch qualifications prevent some really stupid incidents and equipment casualties from happening.

    Unless, of course, you enjoy the idea of being dead in the water, waiting for the ocean-going tug to show up, instead of being on liberty?? :rolleyes1:

  7. #17
    Senior Member BURAWSKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Old Dog View Post
    That may be true, top side, but the engineering spaces live and breathe off of PQS-type qualification for watchstanding. Sorry, but you can't equate firing an M9 to operating a steam or gas turbine plant......there's a world of difference in the complexity.

    Engineering watch quals keep a person from being qualified, after being taught, "This is how I do it, never mind how the book says to do it", especially in the nuke power world. You learn it right, and operate it correctly, or you're in a world of hurt, professionally. I dare say that our watch qualifications prevent some really stupid incidents and equipment casualties from happening.

    Unless, of course, you enjoy the idea of being dead in the water, waiting for the ocean-going tug to show up, instead of being on liberty?? :rolleyes1:

    There are some programs where paper documentation is a requirement and I agree that PQS qualifications are one of them.

  8. #18
    Newbie - (Restricted)
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

    And with all the mando and redundant training (CYA or what not) that gets put on us, instead of sifting through message traffic trying to see what we need to do and attainment reporting via waste of time message traffic back to HHQ, how about instead the flag types all get on the same page and package all the training requirements into an annual plan that Commanders can fold into their own training plan with their own pertinent mission/rating requirements? Instead of all this piecemeal standdown this and that, make it a concentrated week of training and sustainment then let the folks go back about the mission. If not, just give me the muster sheet....surrre, I was there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •