Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

  1. #21
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    I actually thought Joe Bonham was two people posting under the same account because the overall tone of the posts appeared to modulate from a “rational” leftist to a militant leftist.

    I imagined the rational leftist was former Marine going to college in California and the militant leftist was some little hippie chick he was shacking up with.

    He was frustrating to talk to sometimes but there was something that I liked about him. He did make some thought provoking and witty comments.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Class5Kayaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    He did have soe nice pics in his sig block at times though.....

  3. #23
    Senior Member RobotChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    :spy "Thank 'G**' this 'S***' is BACK!"

  4. #24
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    So let me get this straight...the Salvation Army, a Christian organization, is against gay marriage and ordaining gay ministers? No kidding???? These are kind of tenets of Christianity.
    You said it, not me.

    Should they be expected to go against their religious beliefs just to be politically correct?
    No, they should go against their religious beliefs if they want to maintain their tax-exempt status.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  5. #25
    Senior Member AJBIGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I actually thought Joe Bonham was two people posting under the same account because the overall tone of the posts appeared to modulate from a “rational” leftist to a militant leftist.

    I imagined the rational leftist was former Marine going to college in California and the militant leftist was some little hippie chick he was shacking up with.

    He was frustrating to talk to sometimes but there was something that I liked about him. He did make some thought provoking and witty comments.
    Unique take on JB certainly. To me JB (someone I had no problem having a MTF Friendship with) was mostly rational in most topic areas, the one deviation from that was this topic in particular in that he appeared to be a militant Atheist in a fashion that might even make Bill Maher say "Simmer Down a notch okay?" That was where most of any trolling occurred. I do think that individual genuinely believes that the greatest danger to our freedoms in this country stems from theocratic encroachment. To me it seems all evidence points to the contrary, as the consistent trend I can determine is a secular encroachment, which I tend to think of as mostly a good thing, if someone can make the distinction between establishment and free practice where religion is concerned.

    I never really figured out, based on much of his other rhetoric, why he put as much faith as he appears to in a well-meaning, altruistic government, healing all of what ails us. Other than that, I think I understood him very well. If he chooses to revisit MTF even under a new, undisclosed identity, I hope I figure it out because I've always enjoyed the online conversations, even when they grew so wordy it bored everyone else into submission.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

  6. #26
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You said it, not me.
    That's right, I did. And I don't think it's something they should be ashamed of. I think those who should be ashamed are those who give up their beliefs because "times change".



    No, they should go against their religious beliefs if they want to maintain their tax-exempt status.
    I think that if anyone deserves tax exempt status it's an organization that give more money to charity than almost any other organization. Unless you'd rather see the money go to misspending by the government rather than to those who need it.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NATO
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    That's right, I did. And I don't think it's something they should be ashamed of. I think those who should be ashamed are those who give up their beliefs because "times change".
    I agree with you, never should your own personal feelings be declared "thought crime". I think most people have certain prejudices - or if you wish simple distaste - for another group or sub-culture of people. I suppose the real question should be - to what extent should an organization be willing to express those negative feelings, and still receive government sanction (and by government sanction, in this case I specifically refer to the tax-exempt status)

  8. #28
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
    I agree with you, never should your own personal feelings be declared "thought crime". I think most people have certain prejudices - or if you wish simple distaste - for another group or sub-culture of people. I suppose the real question should be - to what extent should an organization be willing to express those negative feelings, and still receive government sanction (and by government sanction, in this case I specifically refer to the tax-exempt status)
    If the government deems that religious organizations qualify as tax-exempt, they can not tell that organization what they must believe. And if they are going to draw a line with certain organizations for what they believe, where is that line? Do you stop the exemption for churches that preach against pre-marital sex. Do you stop it for churches that believe the man is in charge of the family and the woman shouldn't work? Where is the line drawn? I see only two options. One, you exempt them all. Two, you don't exempt any of them. I'm fine with either option, but I'm not fine with the government trying to tell religious organizations what to believe. The separation of Church and State must work both ways.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NATO
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    If the government deems that religious organizations qualify as tax-exempt, they can not tell that organization what they must believe. And if they are going to draw a line with certain organizations for what they believe, where is that line? Do you stop the exemption for churches that preach against pre-marital sex. Do you stop it for churches that believe the man is in charge of the family and the woman shouldn't work? Where is the line drawn? I see only two options. One, you exempt them all. Two, you don't exempt any of them. I'm fine with either option, but I'm not fine with the government trying to tell religious organizations what to believe. The separation of Church and State must work both ways.
    Good honesty, and I find it admirable that you are not ideologically opposed to the idea of churches losing their tax-exempt status. However me personally, I would hate to see hundreds (thousands?) of legitimate religious organizations lose tax exempt status and be financially damaged as a result. Also, I don't think that is even politically feasible (How popular would a politician be if he/she announced the idea of stripping religious insitutions of tax-exempt?).

    I think a more realistic solution is common sense - religions and other charitable organization can believe whatever they like, but still must adhere to the law, like Walmart and CostCo. So if Walmart cannot discriminate in hiring on the basis of religion, sexual orientation, race, etc etc... then a religious organization must also do the same.

    You and others might find the idea offensive, but I see it as a compliment. The point is - if an organization, like the Salvation Army, is providing a useful service... then it should be a useful service available to everyone, so society as a whole can benefit. The service shouldn't be tarnished by prejudice. Also, I think most religious organizations are okay with this... they don't want bad publicity from being labeled discriminatory.

  10. #30
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Salvation Army: Gay parents should be put to death

    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
    Good honesty, and I find it admirable that you are not ideologically opposed to the idea of churches losing their tax-exempt status. However me personally, I would hate to see hundreds (thousands?) of legitimate religious organizations lose tax exempt status and be financially damaged as a result. Also, I don't think that is even politically feasible (How popular would a politician be if he/she announced the idea of stripping religious insitutions of tax-exempt?).

    I think a more realistic solution is common sense - religions and other charitable organization can believe whatever they like, but still must adhere to the law, like Walmart and CostCo. So if Walmart cannot discriminate in hiring on the basis of religion, sexual orientation, race, etc etc... then a religious organization must also do the same.

    You and others might find the idea offensive, but I see it as a compliment. The point is - if an organization, like the Salvation Army, is providing a useful service... then it should be a useful service available to everyone, so society as a whole can benefit. The service shouldn't be tarnished by prejudice. Also, I think most religious organizations are okay with this... they don't want bad publicity from being labeled discriminatory.
    The service IS available to everyone. They don't avoid helping homosexuals. They don't care about the person's sexual preference, race, sex, etc when they help someone. They do, however, have ideology on who can play leadership roles in their religious organization. It would be a different story if they stopped giving aid to certain people, but that's not what they are doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •