Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The Second World War" - John Keegan

JD2780

Re: "The Second World War" - John Keegan

Quote Originally Posted by Igloowhite View Post
    "Amateurs talk about strategy, professionals talk logistics".....Omar Bradley
    Professionals get shit done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Amateurs talk about strategy, professionals talk logistics".....Omar Bradley
    Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Of course, it's not that simple, Bob. I didn't claim that it was. However, most people define "near pear" based on primary weaponry and don't even think about anything else.
    Based on what I've been reading about the waist measurement, we have several members who are near pears. However, I thought we were discussing near peers. And, yes, you make a good point about judging status based solely on primary weaponry. But there are additional measures of national power -- education, literacy, science, technology. On most of these, we flunk. This nation won World War II, developed the atomic bomb, went to the moon, and invented the internet. It would be able to do none of these things today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Based on what I've been reading about the waist measurement, we have several members who are near pears. However, I thought we were discussing near peers. And, yes, you make a good point about judging status based solely on primary weaponry. But there are additional measures of national power -- education, literacy, science, technology. On most of these, we flunk. This nation won World War II, developed the atomic bomb, went to the moon, and invented the internet. It would be able to do none of these things today.
    What like nuke the moon from the internet?:target

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course we could...just keep the politicians and the special-interest groups out of the way. The things we accomplish now are accomplished despite the powers that be, not because of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Near pear...LOL.

Yes, those things count too. However, if we are talking about non-military national capability...I'm much more worried about manufacturing and tradesman than science and technology.