Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists

Here are a couple of interesting articles: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...gic/50978974/1

In his book, "God, No!" atheist magician Penn Jillette tells how he was challenged by conservative radio host Glenn Beck to come up with an atheist's version of The Ten Commandments.

"I wanted to see how many of the ideas that many people think are handed down from (G)od really make sense to someone who says, 'I don't know.'"

Here's his list

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.

2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)

3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)

4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)

5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)

6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)

7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)

8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)

9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)

10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo! It will NEVER END on the "NEW MTF RELIGIOUS BANDWAGON!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"And on,on on.........Just like 'AC's' on parade...........................":fest30::fest30: :fest30::fest30::fest30::fest30::fest30:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "And on,on on.........Just like 'AC's' on parade...........................":fest30::fest30: :fest30::fest30::fest30::fest30::fest30:
    Robot Chicken,

I urge you to go to a quite room and honestly contemplate your own behavior in these forums.

Sure everyone jokes and posts something irreverent from time to time but in my opinion you have been out-of-control in recent weeks.

You feel the need to go into damn near every single thread that has activity and post strings of emoticons and cryptic misspelled bits of text. Maybe it is just me but I rarely understand your posts and the few I do understand usually appear to be antagonistic in nature.

I think the vast majority of people simply ignore you or are too nice to point any of this out to you. I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes and don’t mind letting you know. However, I might be doing you a favor because if you put a little more thought and effort into your posts you will find that your time here is more enjoyable and rewarding.

People will start responding to you in a meaningful way if your posts consist of more than just taunts and emoticons.

I have often teased you about being drunk or high on prescription medication as the reason your posts are often unintelligible. I have no idea if that is true or not. On the off chance that it is true, there is help for substance abuse and I hope you consider seeking it.

Regardless, I am confident that you can improve the quality of your posts if you try a little harder.

Best Wishes,

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't speak for anyone except myself. The reason I jump into all of your post and threads is because you and others of the atheists persuasion come across most of the time as over educated jerks. You will not admit when you are wrong even if one has fairly shown that to be the case. You do not take into consideration that some of your wording can be viewed as radical and some may react to it with that in mind. I know myself and have stated openly that I do not know it all nor have all the answers but be damned if I see the same from the likes of you. Now if I am wrong please show me a post where you have stated such. Stop and acknowledge that perhaps some of us may be just as educated as you, lived a bit longer and have more practical experience. Not all knowledge can be obtained from books! Oh by the way I happen to like Penn Jillette.

Always,
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Can't speak for anyone except myself. The reason I jump into all of your post and threads is because you and others of the atheists persuasion come across most of the time as over educated jerks. You will not admit when you are wrong even if one has fairly shown that to be the case. You do not take into consideration that some of your wording can be viewed as radical and some may react to it with that in mind. I know myself and have stated openly that I do not know it all nor have all the answers but be damned if I see the same from the likes of you. Now if I am wrong please show me a post where you have stated such. Stop and acknowledge that perhaps some of us may be just as educated as you, lived a bit longer and have more practical experience. Not all knowledge can be obtained from books! Oh by the way I happen to like Penn Jillette.

Always,
    Wildman
    I did give you a hard time about some of your earlier posts when you were continually confusing the conjunction “and” with the indefinite article “an”.

So did a few other people but your posts were damn near unreadable and it was next to impossible to take you seriously once you started saying you were going to send copies of our posts to the FBI.

You seem to be taking a little more time with what you post and it is a definite improvement, so for that I applaud you. Sure life experience counts for something but keep in mind that you are communicating with us via written form only.

If you are unable to convey your thoughts coherently and then you engage in making weird threats and name calling are you really surprised that some of us scoffed at you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I did give you a hard time about some of your earlier posts when you were continually confusing the conjunction “and” with the indefinite article “an”.

So did a few other people but your posts were damn near unreadable and it was next to impossible to take you seriously once you started saying you were going to send copies of our posts to the FBI.

You seem to be taking a little more time with what you post and it is a definite improvement, so for that I applaud you. Sure life experience counts for something but keep in mind that you are communicating with us via written form only.

If you are unable to convey your thoughts coherently and then you engage in making weird threats and name calling are you really surprised that some of us scoffed at you?
    Still unable to admit you've been wrong? Not at all surprised you scoffed at me kind of expect that sort of childish behavior! If you would get off your high horse you would have understood why I said I would post certain threads to the F.B.I. and hell you just might even understand why I got so upset about Joe's comments as well. Do you deny that I not knowing any of you would have cause to be concerned? Stop and think, Oklahoma City should be a clue or is that over your head to comprehend? Sorry I didn't spell it out for you in such a manner your brain could get around.

Always,
    Wildman

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Still unable to admit you've been wrong? Not at all surprised you scoffed at me kind of expect that sort of childish behavior! If you would get off your high horse you would have understood why I said I would post certain threads to the F.B.I. and hell you just might even understand why I got so upset about Joe's comments as well. Do you deny that I not knowing any of you would have cause to be concerned? Stop and think, Oklahoma City should be a clue or is that over your head to comprehend? Sorry I didn't spell it out for you in such a manner your brain could get around.

Always,
    Wildman
    Why is that such a sticking point with you? I am not going to concede that I was wrong about any discussion that I’ve had with you. Have I ever been wrong about anything else in the course of my life?

Yes, too many times to count! I hope I’ve humbled myself enough for you liking. Can we get back to talking about Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Over educated. Can't say that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of problems the world is facing.
    So you would have us believe you are actually capable of thinking? Gee I guess those who think you are a dumb shit are wrong! NA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Over education is clearly not a problem you have.
    For once you could be correct, but you sure as hell are not teaching me anything! Nope neither are any of your fellow ass clowns!

Always,
    Wildman