Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn Menicus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Torn Menicus

In April, while playing soccer during PT I injured myself. I planted my left leg and rotated, hearing an audible pop, it hurt like hell eventually but being the competitive person I am, I tried to "walk it off." I continued to hobble around for another 20 minutes and went home. When I got home I iced and elevated my knee and went to bed. The next morning it still hurt so I called the hospital and made my way in to get looked at. Finally after more than a month I had an MRI, I got the call today that my meniscus is torn and the cartilage in my knee is MIA. I'm waiting on the referral to ortho to drop. Have any of you suffered a knee injury similar to mine? If so, did you require surgery? How long was recovery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Torn Menicus

Torn meniscus - 3 separate times (2 on Lt Knee/1 on Rt). Doctor normally uses 3 small incisions to scope the knee. In my case, the disconnected meniscus was removed and the remaining area cleaned up to prevent recurrence. You can expect 2 to 6 months of PT/Rehab to get back to normal range of motion and activities, pending any problems.

After my first set of knee surgeries and knee rehab - ran my best 1.5M PT Test (10:40 if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, the condition returned and is now worse. Have had a few knee injections that weren't pleasant experiences, but it helped with the pain for a while. Ortho says next step will probably be knee replacements, but they aren't "that bad" yet.

Start keeping track of your medical records/conditions now - it will make it much easier when you file a VA Claim in the future. Good luck with the knee. After the surgeries, my knees felt great until I resumed my normal lifestyle - that destroyed my knees in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    Torn meniscus - 3 separate times (2 on Lt Knee/1 on Rt). Doctor normally uses 3 small incisions to scope the knee. In my case, the disconnected meniscus was removed and the remaining area cleaned up to prevent recurrence. You can expect 2 to 6 months of PT/Rehab to get back to normal range of motion and activities, pending any problems.

After my first set of knee surgeries and knee rehab - ran my best 1.5M PT Test (10:40 if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, the condition returned and is now worse. Have had a few knee injections that weren't pleasant experiences, but it helped with the pain for a while. Ortho says next step will probably be knee replacements, but they aren't "that bad" yet.

Start keeping track of your medical records/conditions now - it will make it much easier when you file a VA Claim in the future. Good luck with the knee. After the surgeries, my knees felt great until I resumed my normal lifestyle - that destroyed my knees in the first place.
    @AFKILO7....Simply don't return to your "normal" lifestyle after the surgery and you may can prevent yourself from blowing out your knee after surgery like this guy. Find a new "normal." I had to after a hip surgery to keep from tearing cartilage again. I still have fun and enjoy many activities...but you are not going to see me doing certain things that might over extend myself. Never run 'through the pain' either or do any activity through the pain. Occasionally my hip acts funny and I stop doing things for a couple days.

There are many forums out there with people talking about their experiences and recoveries. Recommend you read them, but don't let the horror stories scare you. People complain more than they praise...so you will naturally find more horror stories out there than success stories but they are there.

Don't try to be PTGOD after surgery, do what the doc's and physical therapist tell you, modify your lifestyle a little afterwards, and the odds will be in your favor.

Oh, and don't necessarily trust whatever Ortho they send you to. If you don't feel comfortable with what they say, force your PCM to get you another referral for a second opinion. I went through 4 orthopedic off-base doctors (and many other providers) before they even found anything wrong with me.

Cartilage doesn't really repair itself though, so you will end up needing surgery...find an experienced doctor not some young one with limited experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the insight guys. The inevitable is what really bothers me, I enjoy being active and I enjoy my job. Unfortunately I don't see myself (unless I'm told otherwise) funneling dogs anytime soon. That and now it's summer and I just want to go outside and play soccer or jump on the trampoline with my kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFKILO7 View Post
    Thank you for the insight guys. The inevitable is what really bothers me, I enjoy being active and I enjoy my job. Unfortunately I don't see myself (unless I'm told otherwise) funneling dogs anytime soon. That and now it's summer and I just want to go outside and play soccer or jump on the trampoline with my kids.
    I hope you have a successful and speedy recovery.
    You don't know what you have done forgetting the F.
    -ske4za

One person shits their pants and everyone gets to wear a diaper.
    -Vrake

Girlfriends are better than wives
    -Tak

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I was having pain in my right knee back in '04 which only slightly improved after a few weeks of rest and NSAIDs. MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus. (Unsure what caused it, but that knee had been giving me problems off-and-on for years.) Civilian doc said he could schedule me for arthroscopic surgery and I'd be back to running in a couple of weeks, but I balked because I had a deployment coming up and I didn't want to risk missing it.

While deployed I gradually resumed low-impact workouts (swimming and elliptical cross trainer) and eventually started running again. I never did have the surgery and today I bike and jog without any problems. But I no longer engage in high-stress stuff like racquetball, basketball or floor hockey -- you gotta make concessions.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    @AFKILO7....Simply don't return to your "normal" lifestyle after the surgery and you may can prevent yourself from blowing out your knee after surgery like this guy. Find a new "normal." I had to after a hip surgery to keep from tearing cartilage again. I still have fun and enjoy many activities...but you are not going to see me doing certain things that might over extend myself. Never run 'through the pain' either or do any activity through the pain. Occasionally my hip acts funny and I stop doing things for a couple days.

There are many forums out there with people talking about their experiences and recoveries. Recommend you read them, but don't let the horror stories scare you. People complain more than they praise...so you will naturally find more horror stories out there than success stories but they are there.

Don't try to be PTGOD after surgery, do what the doc's and physical therapist tell you, modify your lifestyle a little afterwards, and the odds will be in your favor.

Oh, and don't necessarily trust whatever Ortho they send you to. If you don't feel comfortable with what they say, force your PCM to get you another referral for a second opinion. I went through 4 orthopedic off-base doctors (and many other providers) before they even found anything wrong with me.

Cartilage doesn't really repair itself though, so you will end up needing surgery...find an experienced doctor not some young one with limited experience.
    Just to clarify - returning to "normal" was working on the flight line (constant climbing, squatting, kneeling, etc.), complying with the AF PT program and playing occasional softball. By no means was I in the same realm as PT God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    Just to clarify - returning to "normal" was working on the flight line (constant climbing, squatting, kneeling, etc.), complying with the AF PT program and playing occasional softball. By no means was I in the same realm as PT God.
    PTGOD reference was for some units who do outrageous things for unit PT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have worn, not torn meniscus both knees, almost bone on bone along with osteoarthritis. Did the series of three synvisc injections to lubricate the knees, worked good first time for about six months. I even started back running! Second time around, no change. Was on a permanent no running profile from the Army docs, did the 3 mile and new 1 mile walk tests for my last 3 years. Now I’m waiting for daily pain to reach the threshold for partial replacement surgery.

I would strongly advise those still on AD to wear good quality knee braces (the ones with the metal hinges) when doing any activities that involve side to side, twisting running etc. Big problem with most fields on base…lots of holes and bumps. Even after surgery, never quite the same…just like after a car comes back from the body shop.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had my follow up with Orthopedics today...the doc explained the injury as seen on the MRI. Looks like I will be having surgery along with at least six weeks of no moving.